Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Catholic & C of E?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am trying to find out what the difference in beliefs are between the two?
Any help appreciated. Also how many of you are church of England or Catholic?

I know Catholics go to confession & from what i can understand, it makes everything better again?

I know its a bit deep but i could do with your help....i never listened at school!!!!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i went to a c of e primary school, c of e is christian and catholic is of course catholic. Catholics belive in no sex before marriage and i don't think that christains do but then i'm not sure cos i don't believe in any of it.
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    i went to a c of e primary school, c of e is christian and catholic is of course catholic. Catholics belive in no sex before marriage and i don't think that christains do but then i'm not sure cos i don't believe in any of it.

Eh?

C of E are Christian, and protestants... Catholics are also Christian, why are you talking as if they're not?

I'm not really sure of the differences, although I think Catholics try to enforce the sexual morals type stuff more. And Protestants don't like the idea of Church's being full of gold and stuff like some, as they think its disrespectful - as if they're worshiping the idles rather than God. And they disaprove of sermons/whatever in Latin (where as a lot of Catholic stuff is done in Latin I think) as they think everyone should be able to understand it properly.
    the difference is basically to do with differences in style of worship (althought there are a few belief differences), Catholicism being a branch of Christianity just as Anglicanism (which is actually a form of Protestnat belief, but lets not go there!)- CoE - is.

Not entirely sure what the major differences are as I've not been to any Catholic services, I do know they involve worship of the Virgin Mary more in their beliefs than CoE do

[By the way No Christian sect that I know of actually approves of sex before marriage - some, however, are a lot more tolerant of it , and others - like the catholic faith - are very militant against it]
    Originally posted by Shukes

Eh?

C of E are Christian, and protestants... Catholics are also Christian

Excuse me for being thick when it comes to this sort of thing but ive never taken notice.

Anyway your quote brings another question, whats the difference between Christians & Protestants? What do protestants beleive?:confused:
    Originally posted by Tweety

Anyway your quote brings another question, whats the difference between Christians & Protestants? What do protestants beleive?:confused:

Protestants are Christians. Protestants were a breakaway group from Catholisism, believing that divorce is OK, and is less orientated around statues in their churches etc.
    Originally posted by Tweety

Excuse me for being thick when it comes to this sort of thing but ive never taken notice.

lol, I thought thats what you were asking in the first place! I'm pretty sure that the Church of England is exactly the same as Protestant Christianity - except erm just English I suppose.

As I say, I'm not really sure but I just think that Catholics are a lot more strict when it comes to morals (don't like the idea of sex before marriage, homosexuality etc more than Protestants/C of E people) and have lot more decoration type things in their Churches - I'm really not sure though, best asking someone better informed...
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Protestants are Christians. Protestants were a breakaway group from Catholisism, believing that divorce is OK, and is less orientated around statues in their churches etc.

Yeah what he says. :D
    :o now i'm blushing cause i really should have taken more notice when learning!!!!

The main reason i ask is i want to know the difference in marriage ceremonys etc...also want to learn.
    my dad was catholic, tho he converted, he doesnt beleive in that anymore. for about 2 months i was saying i was catholic, cos my dad was. BIG mistake. laura told her mum, her mum was scared i was no gonna use contraception and she no wan no shnoo shnoo!

catholic = everything that happens is because god made it happen
    protestant = the church doesnt need all this money we are supposed to be worshipping god
    C of E = a combination fo the two to appease the populace by queen victoria. its not catholic but not protestant, has aspects of both. and of course, the money goes to the head of the english church, not rome...
    Originally posted by cymruangel
    I do know they involve worship of the Virgin Mary more in their beliefs than CoE do

They worship Jesus & Mary a lot more, whereas CofE concentrate on God more.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    my dad was catholic, tho he converted, he doesnt beleive in that anymore. for about 2 months i was saying i was catholic, cos my dad was. BIG mistake. laura told her mum, her mum was scared i was no gonna use contraception and she no wan no shnoo shnoo!

catholic = everything that happens is because god made it happen
    protestant = the church doesnt need all this money we are supposed to be worshipping god
    C of E = a combination fo the two to appease the populace by queen victoria. its not catholic but not protestant, has aspects of both. and of course, the money goes to the head of the english church, not rome...

Sorry, but your definition of the C of E is utter crap. :p

Henry Tudor created The Church of England hundreds of years ago, and it is by no means a half way pointbetween Protestants and Catholics - it is Protestant and not Catholic at all.

Besides, there aren't really many differences between Protestants and Catholics, seens as their both Christians.

And Tweety what do you mean you didn't pay attention in school - you were actualy taught this sort of religious stuff in school? I wasn't! :p

Besides, there aren't really many differences between Protestants and Catholics, seens as their both Christians.

You try saying that in Belfast :p

You try saying that in Belfast :p

I'll try that. :p

Anyway although a lot of them do hate each other over there, it can't really be solely for religious reasons, or they'd be going around blowing up the nearest Mosques and Synagogues rather than their fellow Christians wouldn't they? :p

God I can't believe I just said that - it's bloody common sense that everyone knows. And when you quote common sense everyone knows you look thick! *runs and cringes in embarrasment*
    I was brought up Catholic & went to a Catholic school. I was comatose throughout most of our R.S. lessons, but I do recall being confused as to why my friend (who was C of E) didn't know the Hail Mary.
    As far as the services go, Catholic ones tend to concerntrate more on symbols & rituals & tradition than C of E ones.

4 years of religious education and that's the best I can come up with.
    God what were you all doing in history and RE lessons?????? Henry the eighth created Protestancy as a rebellion against the current Pope's decision to refuse his request for divorce from one of his wives...I forget which one. Henry destroyed alot of churches and cathedrals. He turned England into a Protestant country. Hence the name Church of England. Protestants are C of E :rolleyes: thought it was obvious. This country is C of E, the Queen is C of E. I am catholic.
    Just to add, catholics are the ones that discourage artificial contraception. They also believe that Jesus IS God, whereas C of E believe that Jesus is his son. And the use of Latin in Catholic churches in England is being fazed out. I know this from going to church occasionally.
    As far as I undersood, Tweety was asking about the difference in the services, & beliefs. I assumed that everyone knew the Henry the eighth dealie. Evidently not.

I don't recall a huge amount of Latin in Catholic church ceremonies...why are they phasing it out?
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    God what were you all doing in history and RE lessons
    Well for a start its over 8 years since I had an RE lesson! lol

Also, this is what's going to happen when we all have to be politically correct and our children have to learn about all of the other religions instead....they end up knowing nothing about their own!
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    They also believe that Jesus IS God, whereas C of E believe that Jesus is his son.

Catholics believe that Jesus is God, and his son. The Holy Spirit is also part of the Jesus/God combo apparently (The Holy Trinity or The Devine Trinity or something).

And my mum and dad wondered why I stopped believing in all that shit :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by jellygirl

LMAO! You went to a C of E school yet obviously learnt nothing about your own religion!

Catholics and Protestants are Christians! They are just two denominations of Christianity.

Catholics look towards the Pope as head of their Church and their religios beliefs and acts of worship are based on ancient doctrines.

lol, I can't believe you girl!!!
    Originally posted by Smash

I don't recall a huge amount of Latin in Catholic church ceremonies...why are they phasing it out?

The used to do the services in Latin around twenty/thirty years ago.

I think they're phasing it out 'cause noone speaks Latin so they don't have a clue what's going on. More so.
    Originally posted by Faith

Well for a start its over 8 years since I had an RE lesson! lol

Also, this is what's going to happen when we all have to be politically correct and our children have to learn about all of the other religions instead....they end up knowing nothing about their own!

Yeah, but I'm very surprised that there are people here who didn't know that Catholics and Protestants were just two seperate groups of Christianity - I was never taught that in any RE lesson - I thought this was 100% common knowledge known by all and find it very hard to believe people don't know such basic facts.

The Holy Spirit is also part of the Jesus/God combo

Oh dear. I thought that was hilarious. Makes Jesus sound like an extra value meal from McDonalds. :D

Is anyone else being reminded on Nuns on the Run?

"God, is like a shamrock. Small, green & split three ways. Class dismissed."

Quality.
    The used to do the services in Latin around twenty/thirty years ago

Aye, but not so much now...so has it not already been phased out? It's not exactly challenging to figure out whats going on. Basically the same as what happened last week. And the one before. Ad nauseum.
    I thought this was 100% common knowledge known by all and find it very hard to believe people don't know such basic facts.

You'd be very surprised at what a lot of people don't know - usually really simple things!

Catholics believe that Jesus is God, and his son. The Holy Spirit is also part of the Jesus/God combo apparently (The Holy Trinity or The Devine Trinity or something).

And my mum and dad wondered why I stopped believing in all that shit :rolleyes:

WELL DONE you know what the trinity is. The father, the son and the holy spirit. I'm a catholic though, and from fourteen years of weekly church attendance I know what catholics believe. Lah de dah. :P catholics believe that Jesus is God. In the sense that he comes from the holy trinity, which Catholics also refer to as God sometimes to cause lots of confusion. Father, son and the holy spirit are basically all God, but in different forms. They are not three gods. Yes, very confusing.
    And please don't call a universal religion that has been in my family for centuries shit :D
    as usual on such a sensetive topic i'm gonna offend someone. but it's only the truth so it probably won't matter.
    the proddies have changed a lot since henry 8th. they have discarded the false idoltry of the catholics. the catholic people think they are practising christianity but the hieracy know thats not the case.
    the bible teaches that you can only have your prayers heard by god, through the name of jesus. the catholics pray through mary and a million plaster saints. not christian. the catholics bow and pray before idols and images. a big no no according to the god of the bible. the bible also tells that christs followers should not be called father in any religous sense. the cats even have a man who is reffered to as "the most holy father"...pope. blasphemy to the god of the bible. again in the new testament it says that teaching men not to marry is not the teaching of god but the teaching of demons. so the cat church teaches that it's priests can't marry. the hats the bishops wear are in veneration of the fish god...dagon. blasphemy again. the trinity is not a bible teaching but an ancient babylonian one. the protestants usualy throw things at the catholics...petrol bombs and stuff. the catholics shoot the prodies. all in the name of god and the prince of peace. somehow, i think thier all on the devils side.
    I was raised Ukrainian Catholic, with the odd trip to the Roman Catholic church when we were lazy and wanted to go to a shorter service.;)
    Ideologically speaking, the only major difference I can see between Catholics and Protestants/C of E is that Catholics still believe in the Pope. Well, that's the main reason why I got disillusioned and left anyway.:rolleyes:
    In terms of the actual services, I always gathered that Protestant services were shorter. Although that may have just been a perception I picked up from getting bored at my church services.:D They also seemed to better at promoting, um, audience participation? Maybe that's just because I found their Minister to be more engaging than our Priest. Tee hee. Oh here's a siginificant difference that may be of interest: from what I understand (I've not been up on my current events in this area lately) Catholics are pretty much the only branch of Christianity left that still won't accept women to lead a service, i.e. they can't become Priests, where as women can become Ministers, correct?
    Also, from what I understand, Protestants don't put so much emphasis on Communion. I went to a few Protestant services where they passed around Consecrated "grape juice" instead of wine, because they were more hard-core about not drinking alcohol (seemed cheesy to me, but I know that was just a personal judgement).
    Anyhoo, blah, blah. I bet none of that helped.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Smash

Aye, but not so much now...so has it not already been phased out? It's not exactly challenging to figure out whats going on. Basically the same as what happened last week. And the one before. Ad nauseum.

Well as far as I know it's been phased out in this country, but if you go elsewhere (Greece etc.) they still do the services in Latin.

Aye but to figure out what's going on, you'd actually need to pay attention.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    as usual on such a sensetive topic i'm gonna offend someone. but it's only the truth so it probably won't matter.
    the proddies have changed a lot since henry 8th. they have discarded the false idoltry of the catholics. the catholic people think they are practising christianity but the hieracy know thats not the case.
    the bible teaches that you can only have your prayers heard by god, through the name of jesus. the catholics pray through mary and a million plaster saints. not christian. the catholics bow and pray before idols and images. a big no no according to the god of the bible. the bible also tells that christs followers should not be called father in any religous sense. the cats even have a man who is reffered to as "the most holy father"...pope. blasphemy to the god of the bible. again in the new testament it says that teaching men not to marry is not the teaching of god but the teaching of demons. so the cat church teaches that it's priests can't marry. the hats the bishops wear are in veneration of the fish god...dagon. blasphemy again. the trinity is not a bible teaching but an ancient babylonian one. the protestants usualy throw things at the catholics...petrol bombs and stuff. the catholics shoot the prodies. all in the name of god and the prince of peace. somehow, i think thier all on the devils side.

Ah, come on Mr. Roll. This thread is supposed to be about differences in the services. Let's not turn it into another one of those lame, unresolvable "my religion could beat up your religion" arguments. That war has been raging for centuries. We're not going to solve it in an Anything Goes thread.:p