Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Injection?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had the pill injection, or whatever it is? I don't know anything about it, other than you only have to have it done every couple of months. Was thinking maybe it's a lot easier than taking the pill? Cos i forget all the time!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my friends got it. you have it injected every for months and it stops your period aswell. my mum wants me to have it but ive heard too many bad things about it. although my friend things it great. :)
    Ive had it before and had awful side effects, it made me so depressed, ive never felt like that before or since. the problem is, you dont know if youre going to get those side effects until youve had the jab, and then if you get them, youre stuck with it for 3 whole months, which can feel like a lifetime. its not like the pill, which you can just stop taking if you dont get on with it.
    Saying all that, my best friend was on it for years and thought it was great. She has only had to come off it now as there is thrombosis in her family. Also it can interfere with future fertility i think.
    I had that injection some years ago. At 1st it had the effect of constant bleeding. The doctor told me to keep having the injection as it can take time for it to settle down, which I did. It was not very nice having a constant period however, after a few injections, if i remember rightly about 3 injections in total it actually stopped my periods. Which was heaven :D

The other thing with the injection is that if you were to decide to try for a baby some time later on it can take anything up to a year for the injection to work itself out of your system.

So Id say to you maybe give it a go, hopefully you will be fine, if not just dont have any more injections. You may find that it suits you ok and have no problems, maybe stop your periods or just have light ones. It is so much easier than having to remember to take the pill.

Everyone is different so just because you have heard the shock stories it doesent mean that the sames going to happen to you :)
    I have had that and believe it's great in the sense that you don't ever get another period after the 2nd injection. However once off the injection your period pops back on :)

However, having no period is FANNYTASTIC! no spots, cramps, nasty mood swings!

Again, However, leading up to the last week where you are due for your next one, you may experience a big blur of much0s PMS, cause I did. And bugger, it was nasty.

And I also think that is what has put soem weight on me, which is a stone and a bit. I've had around..4 injections now, it's great when you have a bloke and you know he's clean and he's willing to sleep on the wet patch :p however, if you aint, it's really unessacery methinks.

try it and see your side effects. won't hurt ya. :D
    hmmmm.....I'm not bothered about the whole period thing, I dont get bad ones so I'm not thinking about it cos I don't want any - it was the fact that I'm really forgetful with taking my pills!! I'm def not going to be trying for a baby in the near future so that's ok. But they do sound like some nasty side-effects :(
    Originally posted by Faith
    But they do sound like some nasty side-effects :(

But you can also have side effects with the pill, the coil infact any medication whatsoever. What happens is you always hear the bad sides and never really hear the good points.
    If you get the injection and do suffer from any side effects then just dont have no more. I guarantee if you are one of the many people who do not have any side effects then the injection pill will be the best move you could ever have made.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

But you can also have side effects with the pill, the coil infact any medication whatsoever. What happens is you always hear the bad sides and never really hear the good points.
    If you get the injection and do suffer from any side effects then just dont have no more. I guarantee if you are one of the many people who do not have any side effects then the injection pill will be the best move you could ever have made.
    The difference is, if you get awful side effects, you still have it in your system for 3 whole months - 12 weeks. Thats a hell of a long time to suffer for. If there was an antidote you could take if it really disagreed with you, then id be all for it, but there isnt. You can have a coil removed, you can stop taking the pill and the side effects will go away, but a 3 month injection isnt so easily reversed. i would NEVER recommend depo provera to anyone.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    i would NEVER recommend depo provera to anyone.

Exactly, purely based on your bad experience. what about the thousands of people who have little or no problem? Just because it was no good for you it doesent mean its going to have the same effect on Faith.
    Its a risk taking almost any medication, you may get side effects. Its wether you are prepared to try it and hope it works or wether you think sorry im not taking the risk.
    of course im going to go on my personal experiences. I would be a fool to recommend it after what it did to me. what i went through is not uncommon either as you will see here depo provera message board
    Another side effect i've heard of from a friend, is that when you do come off it, it can take a long time for your periods to settle down into any sort of pattern - to the extent that my friend had been bleeding (or at least spotting) for nearly a year. Her doctor's advice to her was 'wait it out' :rolleyes:
    Can you actually get the pill from a family planning clinic? Or do they just give advice and that? I haven't re-registered with a doctor since I came back from Uni but I now need my next lot of pills. I liked seeing the Uni nurse rather than the gp, so was thinking of finding the local fp clinic if they give prescriptions. I'll find out about the injection there too, but to be honest I've been put off! lol
    Originally posted by Faith
    Can you actually get the pill from a family planning clinic? Or do they just give advice and that? I haven't re-registered with a doctor since I came back from Uni but I now need my next lot of pills. I liked seeing the Uni nurse rather than the gp, so was thinking of finding the local fp clinic if they give prescriptions. I'll find out about the injection there too, but to be honest I've been put off! lol

Yes you can get the pill from the family planning clinic, you will probably be asked some questions, maybe blood pressure taken and the doctor will ask about what you have maybe used in the past.
    As far as the injection, just remember im one of the people who had breakthrough bleeding in the beginning, just till my body adjusted to it. After everything settled down it was the best form of contraception, for me anyway. Why dont you discuss it with the familly planning clinic, let them give you all the pros and cons after all they know a lot more than we do :)
    Becky, did you have depo provera before or after having children? Its just reading on that site of all those womens experiences, a lot of them say how its messed up their fertility - one of them says how she has now been told that she may never have children now after being on the injection for 7 years. This worries me as my best friend has been on depo for years and has now come off it, but shes always wanted children in the future and would be devastated if she couldnt.
    Also did you get no side effects at all? What about the lack of sex drive that i thought was a pretty universal side effect?
    I am on the injection and have experienced no side effects except a bit more pms and putting on some weight, THAT IS ALL. I think the injection is great as i don't have to worry about any other contraception whilst i'm on it and in a steady relationship (but i'm not at the moment but i'm still on the injection)

What about the lack of sex drive that i thought was a pretty universal side effect?

I know this was meant for Beckyboo but my experience is that i have still got my normal sex drive, definetly!:)

I'm not saying you should or you shouldn't take it as it is up to you but my experience with it is good but if i couldn't have children later on in life, i would die.
    Becky, did you have depo provera before or after having children?
    Also did you get no side effects at all? What about the lack of sex drive that i thought was a pretty universal side effect?

I was on depo provera for about 3 years altogether (not exactly sure but for quite some time anyway) . I did not want to get pregnant because at this time id already had my cot death baby. I then decided that I was ready to have another child, which I did and now have my Daughter. She is 7 now, so approx 6 -7 months after my last injection is when I fell pregnant with her.

I got side effects at the beginning, which was breakthrough bleeding. Then after about 3 injections it sorted itself out and I basically never had a period, or if I did it was very light.

I didnt get lack of sex drive, infact it was the other way. Because before that I was frightened to get pregnant and didnt trust any other form of contraception, so when I started having hardly any periods I felt safe. I was told at the time that the injection was the safest form of contraception, so NO it didnt effect my sex drive :)