Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

KaZaa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently Kazaa will be the next p2p software to go...just like napster did! :( :mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :crying: Noooooooooooooooo! :crying:

Thats just mean! :(
    Not really, give it a week after it goes down and there'll be another excellent p2p
    Use Grokster it's exactly the same as Kazaa and Napster.
    Originally posted by Faith
    Use Grokster it's exactly the same as Kazaa and Napster.

KazaaLite is probably better than them now... which won't be going, like regular Kazaa.
    Originally posted by Shukes

KazaaLite is probably better than them now... which won't be going, like regular Kazaa.

Kazaa has spyware (apparently)
    but KazzaLite is ok (apparently)

So you Internet brains correct or not?
    kazaa is good for games but there are illegal things on there, which i think should be restricted. is it going down? ah well. i want to get the original resident evil on PC. doesnt seem to be available anywhere tho :(
    WINMX is the best I've eva used. Best of all it's spyware FREE!
    winmx is the best for music, and direct connect for anything else
    kazaa does have spyware, and lite doesnt :)
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Kazaa has spyware (apparently)
    but KazzaLite is ok (apparently)

So you Internet brains correct or not?

lol yes, KazzaLite doesn't have spyware. I don't understand why any of you are still using regular Kazaa - KazzaLite came out ooooooooooooh months and months ago and is much better. :p

WinMX is good too, no spyware.... not as good as KazaaLite for actualy finding your songs though, but is still good to have in reserve in case theres something you can't find on KazaaLite that might just be on WinMX.
    WinMX suxx so bad for new songs - you end up getting stuck in queues of 100 odd users.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    kazaa is good for games but there are illegal things on there
    Has it not occured to you that kazaa, by nature, is illegal? The only reason they cant shut it down is its not the people who make and run kazaa that are breaking the law, its the users, and there are so many that it is impractical to stop them all.
    i wonder - the police could get other peoples IP address and send them to prison. ah theres no point bothering. i use it mainly for games that have been deleted, or arent available anywhere else. resident evil (origianl) for PC anyone?
    Originally posted by Me_and

Has it not occured to you that kazaa, by nature, is illegal? The only reason they cant shut it down is its not the people who make and run kazaa that are breaking the law, its the users, and there are so many that it is impractical to stop them all.
    Kazaa, by nature, is not illegal! But to exchange any copyrighted material for which users don't have the permission to have is illegal. That's why Kazaa has been going so long without any real hassle. As you say, it's just that there are so many users using it now that makes it hard, or impossible, to shut down. I don't know what loophole they've managed to find to threaten it, it'll be interesting to find out more about it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    True, but the task would be far too big:
    1. There are loads of people who use kazaa and other p2p file sharing programs, they cant arrest them all
    2. Almost everyone (including the police) will have at some point have had something to do with copied programs or music, etc: they could go into almost anyones house and find a CD burner, or a copied tape, etc
    3. It is actually quite difficult to trace an IP address back to a location, especially if the ISP is uncooperative or the IP address is not fixed
    4. The police tend to concentrate on people who break copyright laws to make money, not just for their own use, ie people who sell copied CDs and tapes at markets, etc
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Kazaa, by nature, is not illegal! But to exchange any copyrighted material for which users don't have the permission to have is illegal. That's why Kazaa has been going so long without any real hassle. As you say, it's just that there are so many users using it now that makes it hard, or impossible, to shut down. I don't know what loophole they've managed to find to threaten it, it'll be interesting to find out more about it.
    Conceded, kazaa itself is not illegal, but the vast majority of what its used for is, and I find it hard to believe that the people who make it and use it do not realise that most of what is going on is illegal. This is what they'll probably exploit to get rid of kazaa - napster was brought down for something like assisting copyright theft, even if it was not breaking the law directly itself.
    Originally posted by Me_and

Conceded, kazaa itself is not illegal, but the vast majority of what its used for is, and I find it hard to believe that the people who make it and use it do not realise that most of what is going on is illegal. This is what they'll probably exploit to get rid of kazaa - napster was brought down for something like assisting copyright theft, even if it was not breaking the law directly itself.
    Well, you know, I know, most users know, and the people at Kazaa know exactly what their software's primary use is going to be downloading copies of MP3's, Video clips, Films, photographs, which is in almost all cases breaking copyright. You're probably right that they stand a good chance of being shut down on some sort of aiding theft charge, but it's going to be a hard battle to prove that it was intended for that. They got Napster because it had a central server, which could theoretially filter out copyrighted material. Kazaa isn't like that, so it's going to be interesting.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Kazaa is actually based in Australia, so the US music industry will find it difficult to sue them. Not impossible, but difficult.
    i wonder - the police could get other peoples IP address and send them to prison

I use a proxy to surf and D/L from P2P networks so my real IP addy is neva shown. Like when I post on here, if the MODs decided to IP ban they could not because for 1 I have a dynamic IP and even if it was static it would be banning from my servers IP and not mine.

Altho it is possible to backtrack an IP addy but half the time it's not worth it 'coz it cost the law to get the get warrents to check logs on the servers you bounce from. So you just think.I use 130 different proxy servers..Say for example it's £1000 for each warrent that = lot's of time and money.

I do remember reading about a guy who downloaded a moive from KAZZA and the Feds traced his company and he got charged with theft.
    i wonder - the police could get other peoples IP address and send them to prison

I use a proxy to surf and D/L from P2P networks so my real IP addy is neva shown. Like when I post on here, if the MODs decided to IP ban they could not because for 1 I have a dynamic IP and even if it was static it would be banning from my servers IP and not mine.

Altho it is possible to backtrack an IP addy but half the time it's not worth it 'coz it cost the law to get the get warrents to check logs on the servers you bounce from. So you just think.I use 130 different proxy servers..Say for example it's £1000 for each warrent that = lot's of time and money.

I do remember reading about a guy who downloaded a moive from KAZZA and the Feds traced his company and he got charged with theft.

RamnoR, P2P use's other networks to leech songs from so it's not just 1 main network. So if the main Kazza server is located in Auss there's still other P2P networks u can use. But I think that you can still get charged for theft of songs.

Originally posted by Jay-O
    RamnoR, P2P use's other networks to leech songs from so it's not just 1 main network. So if the main Kazza server is located in Auss there's still other P2P networks u can use. But I think that you can still get charged for theft of songs.
    The beauty about Kazaa is that it doesn't have a main server. When you download a file, you download it directly from the other user (that's why it can be so slow - they're using dial up), and when you connect to Kazaa to get the file lists, you just look for other computers with the Kazaa port open who are transmitting the lists. This is why Kazaa is so difficult to sue - they have nothing directly to do with the distribution of files. And there's no way to shut it down - if they close the port it is used on, you can just open a different port.
    Originally posted by RamnoR
    Kazaa is actually based in Australia, so the US music industry will find it difficult to sue them. Not impossible, but difficult.Kazaa are actually being sued at the moment, but they are suing back! Something about accusing the record companies of abusing their copyrights. See the MSN report on it.
    You'd think that KaZaA have a good case, cos as u rightly point out, downloads come from other users PC, not directly from KaZaA. But, they'll find a way to sue them i'm sure. :crying:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/kazaa.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

A bit of very interesting bed time reading for you lot.

Kazaa may well go, if the law gets their hands on them, but there's always the next one, and the next. Napster...Kazaa...etc, the list will go on.

One major thing that may change the market massively is as our generation grows up and gets credit cards, suddenly paying per song might take off. Granted, that's highly unlikely whilst a free alternative still exists but..

Oh, just read the report.
    http://www.silicon.com/news/500019-500001/1/2690.html

from Silicon.com, about the IP -> Real person stuff.
    look i do think that its crap that we can down load wat ever we want and the people who sing it dont get crap! but its like the raido u have a button that u can re-cored the muisc of the raido!
    but thats okay they cna t stop u from doing that!
    i mean i have KaZaA lite and it brill but if i like a song ill go buy it!
    so its okay if u dont wanna becum a popstart!
    look i do think its crap the way u can down load stuf and the people who sing it get nothing for it!
    but KaZaa or kaZaa lite or anything like it is just like your radio i mean if u look u got a button which lets u re-cored the songs of the radio but they dont stop that do they so realy kazaa okay
    uf ur not a singer tho

love little lea lea:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by little lea lea
    look i do think that its crap that we can down load wat ever we want and the people who sing it dont get crap! but its like the raido u have a button that u can re-cored the muisc of the raido!
    but thats okay they cna t stop u from doing that!
    i mean i have KaZaA lite and it brill but if i like a song ill go buy it!
    so its okay if u dont wanna becum a popstart!
    You are only allowed to record off the radio for your own use, and the quality is much lower, plus the artist (or at least the producer) gets royalties each time a song is played on the radio.
    If you don't use Kazaa for songs, what do you use it for? There is very little on Kazaa that is not illegal to download in the same way as songs are.

PS, txt tends not to go down too well in posts with some of the other posters. If you're going over the character limit, then you're writing loads too much, so just use plain English. It makes it a lot easier for everyone.
    look i only said it coz its LIKE IT!
    :D dumass:D and i do use kazaa 4 muisc but if i like the song ill go buy the real thing!

love little lea lea :rolleyes:
    Kazaa is just a way of connecting to something called the Fast Track network which has no central server and instead uses a huge amount of supernodes. This makes it impossible to take down the Fast Track network itself meanin file sharing can go on with other programs using this network e.g. OLD morpheus, bear share etc!
    i stick to kazaa mostly...dont like downloadin unknown software!!!