Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

forgetting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm still in my teens, so this isn't an age problem! basically, I keep forgetting small things....like quite easy words. for example, in a recent exam it took me several minutes to remember a word I wanted to use, and it quite often happens when I'm talking to friends. it's only started happening recently, but since I have quite a few exams in the next year I would really appreciate a bit of advice. does anyone have any ideas or tips?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have that problem too. I forget words when I'm speaking or just say something different entirely like telling my mum to put my letter in the wardrobe when I meant on the table. It's like my mouth isn't connected to my brain sometimes. This only really happens when I'm stressed, nervous or distracted so I just try to take a deep breath to calm myself down.
    Not really related but my mates developing a stutter and he's 19. I laugh now but if it gets worse i'd kill myself with guilt.
    I'm proberly the most forgetfull person in the world...You say your taken exams? You forgeting could be down to the stress of it?
    I do this too. In actual fact when I am talking to someone I regularly forget what I was going to say and make up words to fill my sentences. I also stop mid sentence when talking to someone and stare into space!!

I am afraid I don't have any tips for helping, but it helps to make sure people know you're not insane!
    Stress, depression, lack of sleep, or disturbed sleep, some recreational drugs(particularly cannabis) and some prescribed drugs can cause memory loss like this.
    I have had this since I had a baby, not enough continuos sleep!
    If you are really worried or have any other unusual symptoms like sudden changes in your weight or moods you should have a chat with your Dr.
    :)
    lol im exactly like this. but im a talkaholic when i have friends (not often enough :() so i just talk and talk and talk, so you may hear something like this in a conversation with me:

"yea and you know er i cant remember would you imagine that i just remembered and then i forgot and i cant beleive that ill remember in a minute what was i thinking about before ah yes wasnt it something about that oh no it wasnt that was 5 minutes ago so er"

and on and on and on....

oooh im AWFUL at losing things. ive almost lost my girlfriends stuff twice which makes me sooo guilty :crying:

i dropped her ring on the floor which i found soon after and once i dropped her pen on the floor and it dissappeared. i felt so guilty. found it in the end tho.
    It is a relief to know loads of other people have this as well! After reading everyone's replies I'm guessing stress and lack of sleep are probably my main enemies.....stress from school, and lack of sleep leading on from that! Not quite sure what I can do to sort it out, but at least I know I'm not going mad! :crazyeyes
    Just chill out more, don't worry so much and get a few good early nights kip. :)