Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

New York

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I wont to get an apartment in new york city, and work in a shop or something, juts for 8 weeks or so during summer.

have no idea where to start... any links would be very helpfull, thanx

x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm a New Yorker originally, maybe I can help.

First, are you from the UK? Cause if you are, you will need to get a work permit to have ajob legally in the US. Certain organizations like BUNAC? can help you get one and help you find a job. If you can't get one then you will have to work "under the table", for cash...those jobs are are harder to find.

Are you 18? Most jobs will require that you are.

Second, do you have enough money? A single bedroom apartment in NY (in a somewhat safe area) will cost $1000-1500, minimum. (Roughly 600-1000 pounds) Realistically, you would want to have at least $2000 before you go over there.

Do you have any friends or family that live there who could help you find a place to live? There are many parts of NY that you should avoid....

If you have any questions post here, I'm going off on holiday, but I'll get to them when I can.
  • Options
    thanx thats been a big help

still looking around and conjouring up ideas, but i will post here again if i need any more info, thanx x