Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

hackers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why do hackers do it? i just wondered? my msn has been hacked once, and at the mo someone is trying to hack it. luckily one of my friends hacks email addresses so eh is giving me tips how to stop them. ahh good. seems my friend is winning. he is sending a virus onto their computer. gotta be illegal. but the police dont try to stop anyone so they dont really have a right to arrest vigilantes.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i occasionally hack my m8s comp to annoy them (obviously not doing any damage) for a laff, thats why i do it :D
    In short you got..

White Hat hackers: Which are hackers who perform hacking for legitimate reasons; e.g. IT Security technicians testing their systems and researchers testing the limits of systems.

Black Hat hackers: Are those who perform clandestine hacking for malicious reasons. Some times known as "Crackers"

Grey Hat Hackers: Are kind of a mix between White hats and Black hats.
    One thing is for sure.

They arent represented realistically in movies.

*click*

Please enter password:

hacker: "hmmmmm, three thousand possible combinations"

*types: Jhon Smith*

*click*

Access approved.

hacker accomplice: "how the fudge did you do that?!"

hacker: "back door"

:rolleyes:
    Re: hackers
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    why do hackers do it?
    For various reasons. Read some books on the subject to get a better idea. Two I can reccomend are "The Cuckoos Egg" by Clifford Stoll, and "At Large", but I can't remeber who wrote that. They're two good books about real life hackers, how they were caught, and why they were doing it. They will give you an idea about why some people do it, but they still won't explain all the reasons.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    HDC Forums

Great forums...You'll get all your questions answered there.
    Oh yeah, an interesting book is, "The Fugitive Game: Online With Kevin Mitnick". He was one of the worlds most infumus hackers.

www.takedown.com/bio/mitnick.html
    Re: hackers
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    why do hackers do it? i just wondered? my msn has been hacked once, and at the mo someone is trying to hack it. luckily one of my friends hacks email addresses so eh is giving me tips how to stop them. ahh good. seems my friend is winning. he is sending a virus onto their computer. gotta be illegal. but the police dont try to stop anyone so they dont really have a right to arrest vigilantes.

they hack to learn.

of course, hacking is writing code (programming).
    cracking is breaking into systems.

:)
    hacking = gaining unauthorised access to information stored electronically
    hacking = gaining unauthorised access to information stored electronically

That would be a cracker. There is a BIG difference. The media make out all hacker's to be virus planting criminals who just cause damage for fun. Their not!

Definition for: Hacker

One who is knowledgeable about computers and creative in computer programming, usually implying the ability to program in assembly language or low-level languages.

A hacker can mean an expert programmer who finds special tricks for getting around obstacles and stretching the limits of a system.

To some people it means an unconventional programmer or one who is not formally trained, or one who jerry-rigs programs (making temporary fixes that are not well-done).

At MIT, a "hack" means a practical joke, especially one that requires intelligence and technological skill to carry out.

Definition for: Cracker

A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security. A cracker can be doing this for profit, maliciously, for some altruistic purpose or cause, or because the challenge is there. Some breaking-and-entering has been done ostensibly to point out weaknesses in a site's security system.
    Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

?!??!?!?

the hackin forums..
    Huh?????:confused:
    Originally posted by Jay-O
    Oh yeah, an interesting book is, "The Fugitive Game: Online With Kevin Mitnick". He was one of the worlds most infumus hackers.

www.takedown.com/bio/mitnick.html
    It's interesting to read what Kevin Mitnick has to say about the book, and its author, himself..... http://212.100.234.54/content/55/28835.html

Mr_Wobble ;)
    'Cos!

'Cos they can!!! :naughty:
    It's a challenge and a way to show off, particularly with things like viruses and hacking into very secure systems (eg Hotmail). If you look at the insides of most viruses, there's usually a bit saying who made the virus, and basically showing off. A lot of viruses do not do anything that does any sort of damage, etc (they don't have a 'payload'), the only possible reason for them is just to show off what they can do. There are a suprising number of viruses that are just given to the virus company (anonamously) by the writer, just to get the fact that they wrote the virus to be known, even if it does no damage. Good example of this was a female hacker who wanted to prove that it was not all men.
    It's a challenge and a way to show off, particularly with things like viruses and hacking into very secure systems (eg Hotmail.

I think that your find that Hotmail is not that, "Very Scure" at all. :)

I think that your find that Hotmail is not that, "Very Scure" at all. :)
    Hotmail as a system is fairly secure, it's just when users mess up that it can be broken into (eg easy to guess 'Secret Questions').
    I alter my comment to high profile systems, then.
    so any tips to stop any of this?
    Klever
    Originally posted by Klever
    so any tips to stop any of this?
    Klever
    Good virus checker (McAffee?), good firewall (ZoneAlarm? - free!), 'Secret questions' with unguessable answers, and website passwords that could not be found by just looking through a dictionary, and that have nothing to do with you, with random numbers (not just at the start), and different cases (random CAPS). Makes it much harder (but still not impossible).
    I know the idea of a firewall, but how do they work?
    Originally posted by Klever
    I know the idea of a firewall, but how do they work?
    Basically, the firewall sits between your computer and the outside world. It stops any programs having access to the internet that you don't want to have access, and stops people accessing your computer from the outside world without your permission.
    Firewalls are widely missunderstood. People think that if you have a firewall your safe from hackers & that's that.

Think of it like this..

Your PC is a night club, the doorman is the firewall & the clubbers are are the "Internet Traffic"(Dataflow between you system and the rest of the web) and the doorman controls who gets in right? If they look dodgy chances are your man's not gonna let them in. A firewall works more or less the same way so like the firewall stops most attempts at unautherized (SP?) entry...But you alway's get the sneaky bugger who creeps in round the back of the club.

Take a look at

www.whatis.com
    www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

www.zonelabs.com - Firewall (Personal version is free)
    www.sygate.com - Firewall (Personal version is free)

www.symantec.com - Firewall/AntiVirus (I wouldn'y bother with any Norton stuff 'coz IMO it's crap)
    www.mcafee.com (As Me_and said)
    www.grisoft.com - AntiVirus (Quite a good'um for a freebie)
    www.agnitum.com -Avtivirus (Very good INO)

Take a look at

www.whatis.com
    www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

www.zonelabs.com - Firewall (Personal version is free)
    www.sygate.com - Firewall (Personal version is free)

www.symantec.com - Firewall/AntiVirus (I wouldn'y bother with any Norton stuff 'coz IMO it's crap)
    www.mcafee.com (As Me_and said)
    www.grisoft.com - AntiVirus (Quite a good'um for a freebie)
    www.agnitum.com -Avtivirus (Very good INO)

Nicey nice!!
    Thanx