Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

probably a stupid question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes anyway...

if you are an ex heroin addict adn you go to hospital, does that mean you cant have morphine cause you cant risk going anywhere near opiates cause it might make you have a relapse? or does it not work that way?

Comments

• Options
    I'd be very surprised if the hospital staff denied you pain killers because of that even if they knew you might relapse. They might give you other things first if you asked them not to use opiate style drugs, maybe.
  • Options
    if you have come clear off heroin and are a member of narcotics anonymous then you are encouraged to avoid anything that comes from the poppy. some go to the extreme of saying you cant drink alcohol cos you'll brecome an alcoholic. this is what most of the treatment centres preach. don't even smoke a weed.
    in my view this is silly. i came off big use long term heroin addiction in 1986 and since then have smoked weed and happily drank. i have a lot of responsibilities and live a very full and happy life.
    about 4yrs ago i was in hospital for a week with an injured back.
    i was on morphine sulphate. after 3 days i told them i didn't want anymore. codiene would do. when asked why i eplained that i was enjoying the nodding off and the dreams to much! that it was reminding me of possibilities that i didn't need reminding of.
    i got my codiene and over the next two days in there, i was aproached for advice avbout addiction by two doctors.