Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Reaction to drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whenever I drink, and I mean just half a pint or a glass of wine my face goes bright red and I get a hot flush for about half an hour. I'm half chinese and a lot of oriental people I know have the same condition. It's really irritating cos people always ask me if I'm OK and it looks like I'm really drunk when I'm not.

My mate said that he knew someone who took medicine to stop this happening but didn't know what sort.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do they do about it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Many East Asians (I think I read somewhere that its about half) lack the gene that makes alcohol dehydrogenase. It helps break down alcohol in the blood. If you don't have this gene, then you get the symptoms that you were describing.

My mother doesn't have the gene, it happens to her every time she drinks. Thankfully, I do.

I would guess that the medication that your friend was talking about is a synthetic version of this enzyme. I don't know if it is available through prescription.

As far as I know, though, there is nothing else you can do about it. Sorry.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have The Same Problem

I have the same problem when I drink alcohol. I am not oriental, I'm American, but it happens to me everytime I drink.

I get really flushed and feel like I'm having hot flashes as well. I get really red in the face and feel like I have a fever or something.

I don't know if that gene thing could be a part of my family or not because I couldn't remember or not if it happened to my mother or not when she would drink. I guess I can't ask her since she has passed away, but it never happened to my my jerk of a brother, but I guess it could because he is only my half-brother. Maybe he was able to get that gene from his father. We had different father's but the same mothers.

Anyways, I don't know so I'm going to stop rambling on now.