Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Trying to think Positively

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya this has been bothering me a while so I thought you good people on the Site might be able to help me out a little.

Well my boyfriend is, all being well, going off to university later on this year. The problem is I'm worried sick that I am going to miss him so much and dont know how I am going to cope without him being around. Ever since we have been together (getting on for 2 years) we have been best friends, doing nearly everything together.

I've talked to him about it and naturally he has his worrys to, about going away and everything, but he tells me not to worry and that everything will be fine, he doesnt worry about things much, and tells me that I am worrying about it to much, and it wont be as bad as I'm thinking it will.

If any of you can help me I would be very grateful, I want to be able to think positively and look forward to the future but at the moment I am find this very difficult,

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sprouts.

Comments

• Options
    In my humble opinion, you need to stay realistic. I know it's easier said than done, but the fact is: Your b/f might meet someone else. On the other hand YOU might meet someone else.

I don't think it's good to dream and think that things will be okay and you two will reunite without anything bad happening.

Instead of worrying, try and amuse yourself by going out or seeing your girlfriends or whatever. Stay in touch with your b/f ofcourse but don't close your eyes to what could happen.

Who knows you two will live happily ever after but in the mean time: get on with your life.
  • Options
    Happychild,

Thanks for your opinions, I appreciate them even if they are not exactely what I want to hear, but sometimes I think I do need to hear them:) .

I do have friends who I go out with and when I said we do everything together, thats not strictly true, we do have lives apart from each other, but aswell as going out together we are best friends.

What I'm trying to say is that while I realise that one or both of us could meet someone else, it is a serious relationship and we want to have a future together. Its just because I'll miss him and find things strange without him and wondered if anyone could offer any advice, if they have been in same or similiar situations.

Hope this makes sense,

Sprouts
  • Options
    Well on the more optimistic front, they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Just because you're apart doesn't mean you will have to finish. Just think of the extra effort you will have to make, and if you find it is worth it then you'll be brought closer.

Seeing each other less will make your time together more special. You can also look on it as a time to reaffirm old friendships!
  • Options
    Re: Trying to think Positively
    Originally posted by Sprouts
    Ever since we have been together (getting on for 2 years) we have been best friends, doing nearly everything together.

Me and my boyf were going out for 2 years while we were at uni together. We were on the same course, in the same group of mates so we spent most of every single day together. We left in June and have been living 130-odd miles apart and seeing each other roughly every 2-3 weeks. I won't lie it's not easy and it's not much fun, but you kinda get used to it after a while and the time that we do spend together is so much more fun than it was when we saw each other all day everyday.

If he's going to uni there really isn't much you can do but give it a try.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help,

We both decided a long time ago that when he goes to Uni we were going to stay together and make it work and we are determined to do so.

Its just with the beginning of the New Year I've been thinking about everything thats ahead and want to be able to think positively about it, because I worry too much and worryings a waste of time really, what ever happens, happens. (That still doesnt stop me worrying!)

Thanks again anyway,

Sprouts