Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pills & MRI scans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if drug usage shows up on MRI scans. I haven't done pills for nearly a year but used to do loads ages ago for a couple of years. I've got an MRI scan soon and wondered if this is gonna show up and if so, what then?!! Can't find any useful sites at all and I is a bit worried 2 b honest!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My understanding of an MRI is that it is a inner view of the soft tissues in your body using Magnetic imaging?

Cant see how any form of drug is going to show up on that? or do you mean any damage caused in your inner body from using the drugs?

Had an MRI scan last month myself on my shoulder & they did not ask any questions relating to drugs, just had i had any ops on my head or at any time had metal in my eye....
    had a couple of scans. one on my head...metal in the eye...one on my back. they saw millions of pictures of cannabis leaves and reported me to the police!
    No chance, I had an MRI scan a few years ago of my head and neck. It just shows up tissue and detects abnormalities, such as suspicious lumps. Even if they did find illegal substances on some sort of scan, they wouldn't do anything about it. They wouldn't call the police, that's just silly.
    Thats wot I mean though. If doing drugs has caused abnormailites (to the brain this is - sorry should have said that), will they know that this is wot caused it?
    Even if things come up, which they most probally wont, and then even if they ask you which the probally wont, feel free to tell them, what are they going to do?
    If they call the police about it they will just say "and? whats your point?"
    It would be just impossible for the police to charge you for using drugs over a year a go.
    I'm not worried about the police!! I know about all that medical confidentiality gumpf. But I don't want stuff about drug abuse going on my medical records and I don't want stupid doctor types asking stupid questions or lecturing about things that I don't even do anymore. Although I am kinda scared that my brain's in a mess. Just wondered if they can tell, but I suppose I'll just have to wait and seeeeeeeeeee!! :nervous:
    Well to be blunt, if your brain is fucked, and you have to cain it preaty hard for that to even start to happen its probally best you know about it.
    Just to update - I got the scan results back yesterday and there is a small area of abnormality!! Unlikely to cause me any problems apparently but seeing as I've never had a bang on the head, didn't have a difficult birth and have never lost consiousness for a prolonged period of time, there is only one possible cause.

Damn those smarties.
    Originally posted by pentunia apple
    - I got the scan results and there is a small area of abnormality!!
    the small area of abnormality is your brain mr roll. thats what they said....
    :D

Well, there was this one time (at band camp) when I got a pocket atlas stuck up my nose. I lost a page that I could never find and, now I think about it, that area of abnormaliity does look remarkably like Madagascar.

:eek2: