Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Rant!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the last year I have been asked for ID at bars a total of 13 times. 9 of those incidents occured at my local pub where I had shown the very same barmaid my ID a total of 9 times! The other two occasions were at my place of work by someone who didn't recognise me without my uniform on.

I have been stopped in the street by the police and accused of being truant from school.

I have been asked to prove I am over 16 when buying a CD with explicit lyrics in Our Price.

I have been asked to prove I am over 16 when buying aspirin in Boots.

At the Leeds Festival I was refused admission to the beer tent because they thought I looked too young (didn't even bother to ask for ID just plain turned me away!)

At work I have had people ask me which school I go to.

I am 19 years old. It is depressing me now. I am starting to get really scared whenever I go to a bar, which in turn is making me get asked more because I look scared.

Well, just wanted to get that off my chest!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just look older than I really am...was good when I was younger, but I don't want to look old... :(
    Awwww. Perhaps you just have a 'young' face? I have that.

Put it this way... I'm 15, 16 in January. Recently, while acting in a play, I was wandering among the audience at the interval and heard someone say, "Oh doesn't that young dark haired girl make a convincing 11 year old? She looks just right!" :yeees:
    I don't want to look old I just want to look my age!!
    Don't worry Bumbles, you aint the only one :(

I've never been to any pub or club in Dundee I haven't been to before, without being ID'ed.

In the summer, I have neighbours asking if there's no school today, like they think I'm skipping. Stupid old fools don't even realise it's summer and there's no school.

Three times since I left home I've had people asking if my mam or dad is in. In my own fucking flat :mad:

Then there's the whole thing about people taking advantage of me because I look like a mug, but that's another story :p:D
    Well when i was on holiday this year people thought i looked older then i was, i'm 16 and they thought i was about 19- 20 :eek: well i supose its good at the moment but i don't want to look older later in life :rolleyes:

but then again some people have said i look 14 :(
    I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I hope all these people who look older than they really are look really crap and old in later life. Hehehehehe!! :p:D
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I hope all these people who look older than they really are look really crap and old in later life. Hehehehehe!! :p:D
    Same as!

Bumble, think of it this way. Every time I complain to my mum about looking younger than I am, she says, "Just think... when you're 40 you'll look in your 30's whereas those people will look in their 40's." :D:p
    I am slightly happy that other people suffer the same as me. A girl at work is 18 and I thought she was about 16, but at least I never said to her 'you look 16 you do!'
    My sister drove to a petrol station. She filled up and went in to pay and was asked if she was over 16 or something ridiculous.

She's 25.
    Originally posted by Brian Kitten
    In the summer, I have neighbours asking if there's no school today, like they think I'm skipping. Stupid old fools don't even realise it's summer and there's no school.
    Lol!

Sorry, that tickled me, hehe. Just the image of that happening. :p
    Re: Rant!
    In the last year I have been asked for ID at bars a total of 13 times. 9 of those incidents occured at my local pub where I had shown the very same barmaid my ID a total of 9 times! The other two occasions were at my place of work by someone who didn't recognise me without my uniform on.

I have been stopped in the street by the police and accused of being truant from school.

I have been asked to prove I am over 16 when buying a CD with explicit lyrics in Our Price.

At the Leeds Festival I was refused admission to the beer tent because they thought I looked too young (didn't even bother to ask for ID just plain turned me away!)

I am 49 years old. It is depressing me now. I am starting to get really scared whenever I go to a bar, which in turn is making me get asked more because I look scared.

i have the same problems bumble!
    I get that sometimes, Once it happened to me when I was in my suit!

He thought I were 16! :eek: ( Yeah Maybe I was on work experience at 1:00 in the morning eh!:rolleyes:)

Either bouncers are thick as shit (I think that to be true in Croydon) or the small amount of power they do have go right to there little heads! (Flaming idiots!)

As you've said, it works out in the end when we are old and look young! :D
    Originally posted by Harmless
    Either bouncers are thick as shit (I think that to be true in Croydon) or the small amount of power they do have go right to there little heads! (Flaming idiots!)

Too true! Some bouncers turn into right Hitlers.

The last time I was asked for ID was on my 23rd Birthday.

The the worst one though, was in the pub I frequent the most when the bouncer wouldn't let me in, so I asked to speak to the bar manager and as soon as he saw me I was walking passed the bouncer and giving him a large smile as I entered the pub. Twat.
    Re: Rant!

I am 19 years old. It is depressing me now. I am starting to get really scared whenever I go to a bar, which in turn is making me get asked more because I look scared.

Oh just quit your whinning!!! Look, in six years time you will hit 25. Then you will be permenantly obsessed with looking young enough to be ID'd and refused to served in pubs. If you ever actually are, you will proudly boast this to friends, family, and strangers in the street. You many pretend to be shocked, but inside you will be gloating.
    Enjoy your youthful looks while they last, and before you hit 25 and become a bitter, shrivelled up old prune of a spinster, watching her youthful looks disintegrate by the hour. So stop whinging, and enjoy it!!!!
    Sheesh! Youth! It's wasted on the young! (A phrase you will start to mutter under your breath once you become that old spinster in six years time). :rolleyes:

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Originally posted by Fifi La Drools
    My sister drove to a petrol station. She filled up and went in to pay and was asked if she was over 16 or something ridiculous.

She's 25.

She should have said no lol, then legged it before the police arrived to arrest her for underage driving.

As for looking young, i've been cursed with extreme facial hair, I have a full beard after 3 days and permanant stubble most of the time so I'll never look too young, which is good cos I'm 19.
    I don't want to look old I just want to look my age!!

Get yourself an older boyfriend to go around with. This should up your apparent age a bit.
    ive got the worst problem at the moment. ALL my friends have turned 18, except for little old me whos still 17 for 6more months. ALL my friends look 18, except for little old me who still get ID'd for fucking fags!!!!! grrrr....ive started being left outside pubs :(
    my husband is 32 but he looks loads younger, people often think hes about 19 or in his early 20s. He LOVES it, tickles him pink whenever it happens. I reckon it would make his night if someone asked him for ID.

on the other hand im 26 and my mother in law bought me oil of olay for xmas - what does that tell you.:(
    Originally posted by *smudge*
    ALL my friends look 18, except for little old me who still get ID'd for fucking fags!!!!!

Quit smoking. problem solved. :p
    Bumblebee........WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT?!!
    I would love it if I looked younger than I actually was. Unfortunately, I just look my age.
    As long as you've got ID, thats all that matters. Now can you please just enjoy your beautiful, youthful looks!!!:)
    Originally posted by Mist

Get yourself an older boyfriend to go around with. This should up your apparent age a bit.
    I've got an older boyfriend, and most of my mates are 25-30. Still doesn't help though!

And the reason I am bothered is because people think I look way younger than I am. I am 19 and wouldn't mind being asked for ID in pubs, but to buy aspirin you have to be 16 so I obviously look 15!!
    I work in Claires, and you have to be 16 to get your ears pierced if you're on your own, and i once ID'd someone who was was 20! She was older than me!
    Originally posted by Lorna
    I work in Claires, and you have to be 16 to get your ears pierced if you're on your own, and i once ID'd someone who was was 20! She was older than me!
    How did that make you feel though?
    Originally posted by *smudge*
    ive got the worst problem at the moment. ALL my friends have turned 18, except for little old me whos still 17 for 6more months. ALL my friends look 18, except for little old me who still get ID'd for fucking fags!!!!! grrrr....ive started being left outside pubs :(
    Same here. All my mates are, or look 18 or over, but im only 17 and look really young for my age :(..so whenever they go to pubs or clubs theres no way i can get in :(
    Originally posted by Fifi La Drools

She's 25.

i drove into a petrol station in my car, paid for petrol using my credit card, tried to buy fags for my friend and go IDed.

true story.

you think it's bad being 19 and passing for under 16?? i still do, and i'll be 22 in a couple of months.

How did that make you feel though?
    Like an eedjit obviously, but I get ID'd enough for me not feel guilty!
    Originally posted by Whowhere

which is good cos I'm 19.
    WHaaa ? i thought you were about 30 whow...the way you come across on here. must be something to do with that beard.