Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

DO Atheists pray when crashing in the air?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.thesite.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37322

Most of the religious discussion is in the Politics forum, but I was very interested about the following question I've posted the link here as WELL!

Comments

• Options
    How are we ment to know? How is anyone ment to know if the people then die?
  • Options
    I'd probably think most of them change their minds at the last second and pray like mad to survive, or go to heaven. Which would mean they've spent their live as a lie, as to pray should mean you believe in sumthin, lol:)
  • Options
    I can't say it bothers me in the slightest.
  • Options
    I only care just enough to answer.

Seeing as they're not going to have much else to do, plumeting to their deaths from 20,000 feet, what harm would there be in praying, just in the off chance there actually is a God?
  • Options
    So that's what Muhammed Atta & Co. were trying to find out...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    What difference does it make whether they pray or not?
    What does the Koran have to say about "infidels who pray"?
    Go on give us some more links.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Go on give us some more links.

No, don't!
  • Options
    They dont believe in god. so they're not gonna be praying. duh.
  • Options
    Well being a rational atheist, I'd say that I would pray to "god". The only reason that I don't go to church and pray and stuff is because I don't see any point since I'm pretty sure god doesn't exist. But I don't KNOW that.

So spending a last few seconds saying a prayer that MIGHT save my soul from eternal torture is the rational thing to do- since I don't lose anything.

So yeah I guess I would.

The spiteful part of me wishes that there is a sort of afterlife- like where you are still "conscious" for an hour or so after you die, just so that religious hypocrites can realise they've wasted theri lives! Its not fair, because when they die they dont realise this, whereas if they're right I'll have to suffer eternal hell/reincarnation as a beetle :(
  • Options
    If it is worth doing in the last few moments of your life, when it could be little more than a hypocritical gesture, why not do it before then? An agnostic has nothing to lose by praying now any more than on his death bed, but would be more likely to gain if there is a God.
  • Options
    Hardly. It's not as if there are only two options; one may choose not to believe in any kind of creator/god/supreme being or one may choose any one of an infinite number of religious beliefs. Therefore there's no benefit in 'praying' or what have you at the end.
  • Options
    I don't believe that there is any form of a god, I don't believe in heaven or hell, or any form of a supreme being. I may usually refer to a god in exclamation (ie. oh my god, when did that happen?) but that is only because I was brought up in a Christian society, and my mother is a Christian. However, I don't believe in a god and so i can categoriclly say that I would not pray to a god, I would be too busy shitting myself and realising I would never see my family again.

I think someone who would rather pray to a god is a bit selfish personally, hehe!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I think someone who would rather pray to a god is a bit selfish personally, hehe!

You think someone who would rather pray to a God, other than do what, to be selfish?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

You think someone who would rather pray to a God, other than do what, to be selfish?
    Rather than think about those around them and who they will miss, and who is going to be hurt by their passing. Imagine if you're with your husband or wife, or kids, I think I would be more worried about them than myself. It was only a jokey comment anyway and I didn't mean to cause offence, hence the 'hehe'.
  • Options
    but which god would a life long unbeliever direct his payers toward? would he know how to pray?
  • Options
    I'd more likely be calling him names.
  • Options
    do people believe all of a sudden that superman is available on his mobile?
    i would imagine god has one of those little call identifyer things...
    "no dont answer that one st peter, dont recognise that number at all...must be one of those up to my neck in crap callers again"
  • Options
    I pray every now and again, not to any particular God, but just to the big man upstairs if he's listening.
    I believe there is a God, I just think that humanity doesn't have the capability to worship him without resorting to killing people who don't worship him in a particular way, so there's no point.
    And Aisha, Muslims may have got the technicalities right, but Christians stopped mass murdering people in the name of Christianity about 700 years ago, with the exception of the Spanish, but the Aztecs were wiped out by the common cold, so it's only half their fault.
    When was the last time some Muslims killed a shit load of people in the name of their God?