Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should i get involved?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if this is long but i will give you the history first!.....

for 4-5 years i have had to look after my aunties dog when she goes away! - her dog died in november - i was heartbroken but at the time felt it was for the best as she was never really there to care when she was on holiday after holiday but I still cared for him as i loved him to bits.

when he died i did feel that she wouldnt get another because she cant care for the other - (OK TO ADMITT IT SHE LOVED HIM TOTALLY WHEN SHE WAS THERE AND DID MISS HIM ON HOLIDAY!)

She now has a new puppy very young - he is scared of everything and needs a little attention! she seems to think i will look after this one all the time.

[3]UNTIL LAST NIGHT![/3]

I had confrontation with her as not only has she left the puppy alone but she has left her boyfriends two children at home - they do not live around here...and although they are 14 and 10 i dont feel are able to cope if the puppy went funny on them - on a place they dont know i must admitt when lookingafter the dog the street and house can be VERY SCARY! im almost 18!

ok this isnt too bad BUT the children would be there until the early hours of the morning as they were going out to get drunk so if the kids needed them they wouldnt exactly be able to rely on my auntie and boyf.

[3]KICK IN THE TEETH[/3]

after saying to my aunt she broadcasted at the pub to my parents and everyone that the eldest child is more capable of looking after a dog than me because she has a cat! (when the children are not down the dog is left alone all day whilst they are at work then down the pub! its not fair! she seems very selfish.

i have done a lot of voluntary work with animals and work in vets - qualified in a animal care course. so this has left me very angry all the times i have given my time to help - I AM ONLY WORRIED ABOUT THE DOG'S WELFARE!!!! what do i say without getting insulted like that again...OBVIOUSLY having a friendly chat does not work! i am so angry!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could anonymously tell the RSPCA
    And change your avatar to this. The blue strip at the top bugs me.
    You could anonymously tell the RSPCA
    and then napalm her house once they take puppy away.
    yes thanks guys but im talking along the lines of should i first tell her exactly how i feel. cos i onlty get a kick in the teeth when i do.

you all agree how it is cruel?

she seems to think he needs to get used to get used to being alone! for when she goes back to work.
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    yes thanks guys but im talking along the lines of should i first tell her exactly how i feel. cos i onlty get a kick in the teeth when i do.

you all agree how it is cruel?

she seems to think he needs to get used to get used to being alone! for when she goes back to work.

I wouldn't, cause it doesn't look like she'll back down, and if you tell her first that you've got a problem with it, she'll know that it's you if you "annonymously" tell the RSPCA.
    Originally posted by Shukes

I wouldn't, cause it doesn't look like she'll back down, and if you tell her first that you've got a problem with it, she'll know that it's you if you "annonymously" tell the RSPCA.

Yes i agree but is she being THAT cruel? Or am i just angry coz of the way i have been treated?
    I don't think she is being cruel, but I do agree she is being very irresponsible. If she feeds the dog well and the dog is not howling all day or anything, I doubt that RSPCA will do anything about it.

I think you are right for telling her she is irresponsible but I am affraid there is nothing much you can do.

How do your parents feel about what your aunt has told them in the pub?
    Generally it isn't unkind to leave a dog in the house when you go to work but a puppy really shouldn't be taken to a home where it is going to be left for hours. Puppies need training, feeding and company...specially when they are really young; it takes time to get used to being alone.
    Does your auntie have a Dog-flap and access to a garden for the dog?

It sounds to me like she isn't treating the dog right and if you really are worried you should contact the RSPCA.

As for the kids, I was often left alone at the age of 13/14 and I wouldn't say it's a terrible thing to do, however...what is going to happen if the kids refuse to look after the dog?
    I think its a bit much of her to get a new puppy, if shes going to expect you to look after it loads, and i think you should refuse to do it. Having a dog is a big responsibility and means you cant just go off on holiday after holiday, and if thats her lifestyle then she shouldnt have got a dog. If she wants to keep doing that then she should pay to have the dog in kennels while shes away.
    she will learn her lesson though as if youre never there with a puppy, they never get properly toilet trained.