Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

tattoo advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am considering getting a tattoo and i need some advice from people who possibly already have them -

1) If i get a tattoo on my stomach will it go hay wire if i put on weight or get pregnant

2) if i get it on the back, will it really hurt, as someone told me it would.

3) do people think they are tacky, cool, or just for prisoners and sailors

TA XXX

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: tattoo advice
    Originally posted by bubblegum

1) If i get a tattoo on my stomach will it go hay wire if i put on weight or get pregnant

Yes it will. A girl I know got a tattoo at the age of 14 on her stomach, with the motive of an angel. Today at the age of 22 she has gained weight, and it shares more similarity to a monster than to the angel she once had.

If you're worrying about the image you are sending out by having a tattoo, then maybe you should rest the idea for a while, until you are a 100% sure.
    The tattoos who should supposedly fade away after x amount of years, hardly ever do so. And you get nasty scars from laser removing surgerys.
    (Some tattoos do look tacky though, depending on the motive)

Btw, don't have any tattoos myself, but that was my input :)
    I am considering getting a tattoo and i need some advice from people who possibly already have them -

Yes it will, i have one on my arm and because of weight training it stretched a lot,

2) if i get it on the back, will it really hurt, as someone told me it would,

Depends, mine on my back hurt but not that it couldnt be handled, think like anyone getting a tattoo whats your pain barrier, also depends where on the back

3) do people think they are tacky, cool, or just for prisoners and sailors,

Hehe, i have 6 and plan on a lot more, and im feart of the water, well sailors anyway. They can be cool depending on what and were you get them, they are loads that are tacky however, hard question to get a final answer on.

All my tatts are on my faceparty page

Yes. And regardless of where you get it it's likely to look bad when you get old.

2) if i get it on the back, will it really hurt, as someone told me it would.

Don't know, tatooing is not a painless process though.

TA XXX

Depends. A lot of people are getting very similar tatoos just because they think it is fashionable or looks good. Personally I only respect a tatoo that someone has had for a real reason.
    Re: Re: tattoo advice
    Originally posted by Mist

Depends. A lot of people are getting very similar tatoos just because they think it is fashionable or looks good. Personally I only respect a tatoo that someone has had for a real reason.

What's an unreal reason to get a tattoo? :confused:

:p
    Re: Re: Re: tattoo advice
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

What's an unreal reason to get a tattoo? :confused:

:p

"For a laugh"
    "because my mate had one"
    "Because I thought it would be k3wl"

Etc.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: tattoo advice
    Originally posted by Mist

"For a laugh"
    "because my mate had one"
    "Because I thought it would be k3wl"

Etc.

So people should do it "for a cry"?
    "because no one has one"? (as crap a reason, as the one you came with in my opinion. Hate people who will stand out, just for the sake of being different)
    or "Because it's fucking rotten"?

Yes, yes, I am in an annoying mood. And you're the victim today :D
    It will stretch yes. They hurt anywhere A Lot I think it just depends on what amount of pain you can take. Some tatoos look tacky and others look brilliant, it dpends on the tattoo, person, placement etc..
    Don't get dolphins/unicorns/cartoon character/any other retarded designs. You'll regret it later, and they suck. Alot.
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Don't get dolphins/unicorns/cartoon character/any other retarded designs. You'll regret it later, and they suck. Alot.

Unicorns can be beautiful if you get the right kind of motive. Though I can see how they are most likely to be made kitschy.
    Any tattoo hurts doesent it:confused:

I have known people say it kills them, but then why do so many people get more? so can it be as bad as they say :confused:
    love...hate on your nuckles is a real no no. as is a dotted line around your neck with the words "cut here" accross your throat. then theres the swasticka on your forehead.............
    I have lots of tattoo...

Don't get it unless you think you can live with it for the rest of your life, regardless of what your changing body does to it.

Don't get it if you think it's cool, trendy, the thing to do, what your mates have done etc...

Don't do it unless you can afford to have it done by a well respected well established tattooist.

Personally I'd also say don't do it before the age of 25. Until then you're more likely to get it done for the wrong reason.

Tattoing is an extension to the self. It's a deeply personal addition to your physical body and it's something you shouldn't ever take lightly. It will live with you, and become part of you, whatever happens to your body. Don't ever get it done thinking it can be removed later if you don't like it, that's the wrong attitude totally.

Only have something tattooed onto your skin that your mind can live with for ever. If you have any doubts get a piercing. At least you can remove that without major problems.
    do u think my one on my hip would get stretched then??? :confused:
    Was gonna a tat on my solar plexus and down my spine like in Chinese symbols...Would that hurt?
    tattoos hurt everywhere! the places they hurt less are places with a lot of fat around then eg.stomach and the places that hurt more are ones where it is bony eg ankle but wherever you get it it still hurts.
    Originally posted by Fifi La Drools

Don't get it unless you think you can live with it for the rest of your life, regardless of what your changing body does to it.

Personally I'd also say don't do it before the age of 25...

Tattoing is an extension to the self. It's a deeply personal addition to your physical body and it's something you shouldn't ever take lightly. It will live with you, and become part of you, whatever happens to your body.

Only have something tattooed onto your skin that your mind can live with for ever.
    This is really good advice to read.

I was thinking about getting one in the Summer but then changed my mind as I'm only 18 and think my tastes would change.

Actually I changed my mind when I told one of my friends whilst sitting in my bedroom together- she asked me if I chose my room decor (it is horride pink with a floral border with matching curtains, curtain ties and bedspread) and I was like yeah but that was about 5 years ago. That's why I changed my mind!
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Actually I changed my mind when I told one of my friends whilst sitting in my bedroom together- she asked me if I chose my room decor (it is horride pink with a floral border with matching curtains, curtain ties and bedspread) and I was like yeah but that was about 5 years ago. That's why I changed my mind!
    That's a good way of explaining the problem with tattoos. I don't have any, but my brother's got quite a few. Most of them he's regretted getting, and has spent a small fortune in cover up work to hide some of the old cheesy tattoos. He still likes tattoos though, but he's much more careful about what he gets done nowadays.
    His two recent tattoos were a Spiderman on his shoulder (and I mean his whole shoulder and a good part of his upper arm) to cover an old naff tattoo. Spiderman may not sound like a great idea for a tattoo, but he's always liked Spiderman, and thought carefully about it for a couple of years before having it done. His most recent was a line of arrows running all the way up his spine. Again, something he has been thinking about for a year or so before committing himself to it.
    His old tattoos were spur of the moment decisions, and he regretted them all. He now plans his tattoos, thinking about them for some time, making sure it isn't just a spur of the moment decission, or merely fashionable.

On the pain issue. He's said they've all hurt with varying degrees.

Fifi has given the best advice on tattoos.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I've got 3 Tattoos, one on each arm and one between my shoulder blades..

Left Arm : Chinese Symbol - Meaning "To be lost"
    Right Arm : Celtic Art
    Back : Gecko crawling down

They were all pretty much planned (to a degree) and I haven't ever regretted having them. The Chinese Symbol I had at 16 and was pretty much because I never really belong and haven't found where I want to be in life, its something I believe about myself but in a good way. The Celtic art (aged 17) was originally going to be a Gatecrasher lion but I changed my mind to have something which wouldn't look as cheesy and stand the test of time better (pleased I changed it) and finally the Gecko (aged 20), that was originally going to be an aztec type sun symbolising my new found love for the sun and beach in nz, but changed to be a gecko as I couldn't find any aztec suns I liked, and the gecko made sense as its tropical and outdoors. That was certainly the most painful one on my back, going over the spine really stings...

You've been given some good advice here, only get what you are 100% sure about, I know several people who have got things like 'Daffy Duck' on their arm which they now regret!
    I used to want to have a tattoo of a playboy bunny on my hip but i changed my mind because i thought i might regret it when i got older, but i might have a little chinese symbol on my back or hip in a few years :)
    i think tattoos look really nice on blokes aslong as they aren't really stupid one :D
    you should think about it before you have it though incase you regret later in life good luck :)
    Fifi's advice is really good. Definitely plan for ages before you get one and think hard.

I had a tattoo for one of Mists 'unreal reasons'. My friends were having one done one day in our long break at college between lessons, so I decided to have one too. Sooo stupid I know, and I do regret it now. I picked a butterfly spur of the moment, and it is quite pretty, but its there for life and I wish I hadn't had it done.

I had it done on my lower back and it did hurt. Quite a lot. But not so much that I wanted to cry, it was kind of gritting your teeth pain, hehe. Everyones pain threshold is different though, and mine is quite low!

I was thinking of having something added to it though so make it more meaningful, so I suppose that might make me feel a bit better. Hardly anybody sees it anyway.
    Originally posted by FireyFirenze
    I picked a butterfly spur of the moment, and it is quite pretty, but its there for life and I wish I hadn't had it done.

I

You've proved my point totally there. My very first one was a tiny bird of paradise on my arm. My only regret was that it was too damn small and I wished I'd been braver and had something bigger. I've since had it covered with a dragon and it's under a very large tattoo now that covers the top half of my arm.

I was lucky, I didn't regret getting the tattoo. However if I'd had something done when I was 18 it would probably have been something really crap and teenage that I'd be embarrassed about now. The tattoo work I've now chosen to have is classic and timeless and I love it more and more each day.

I first started at 22 with the teeny bird and I've continued collecting since, I'm now 32 and I know that I'll not ever regret it. But from my experience, and from experiences of others I've met I would say don't commit until you are absolutely positively sure 150%.

I'm glad people have complimented me on my advice, it is one of the things I do know about from experience. If my mother had told me not to get a tattoo too young I'd have ignored her, she has no tattoos and hates them, why the hell would I listen to her.

But I do know from experience, if you want a tattoo at 18, you'll still want it at 25 if it's really something for you. If you get to 25 and think "phew, glad I never got that daft tattoo when I was 18" that's got to be better than another possible 80 years living with a whim?
    If you're having one, have one somewhere that you won't hate if you get older. My sister has one on her arm and now she won't wear short sleeves.

I don't think they are just for Prisoners and sailors though!