Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this Justice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't post the link because it had to much other stuff on it, but this story is quite sick I think.

This is taken From Richard Littlejohn column. (I don't like that man, but I agree with him that it's not right these two people get money from all this!)
qouted by TheSun
Taken to the cleaners

TWO Muslim cleaners who were sacked for jeering during the two-minute silence for the September 11 victims have been awarded £14,000 compensation.

Arshad Ali and Aqeel Khan laughed, threw paper planes and made dive-bomber noises during the silent tribute at the Land Rover factory in Solihull.

Now they’re each £7,000 richer, after the cleaning company caved in and made an out-of-court settlement rather than face an industrial tribunal.

The men had the backing of their union, the TGWU, which claimed they didn’t know there was a two-minute silence.

In which case, they must have been the only two people in Britain who didn’t.

It was observed immaculately in offices, shopping malls, factories, railway stations and airports all over the country.

And, anyway, do they usually spend their days at work throwing paper planes and making dive-bomber noises?

Or was it just a coincidence that at the time they chose to do so all their colleagues were standing in silence to remember thousands of people slaughtered when planes dive-bombed into buildings in the USA?

Did they not notice that the production line had been switched off and the entire factory was still?

The cleaning company, Commando, should be ashamed of their craven surrender.

No doubt they were scared of being smeared as “racist”.

As I have remarked before, there appears to be one law for insensitive, militant Muslims and another for the rest of us.

Imagine what would have happened if the workforce had been predominantly Muslim and had been paying silent tribute to dead Palestinians when two white cleaners chose to behave in a similar fashion.

They’d have been hauled before the courts, not their employers.

Arshad Ali and Aqeel Khan should think themselves lucky they weren’t lynched.

That they’re £14,000 richer as a result is disgusting.

Comments

• Options
    an example of people who arent white believing they have immunity to racism laws.
  • Options
    Ah. So the two minute silence was specifically for white victims, then...
  • Options
    Aye, the west is so 'anti-racist' these days, they miss the point of what justice actually is...

I'd have kicked the crap in to them if they did that when I was around. It's sick, blatant disrespect.
  • Options
    They had every right not to take part in the minutes silence (I declined myself), but I do no tthink they should be allowed to disturb other peoples cerimonies.

As for compensation, I'll bet they were paid less than a years wages, and if it went to court there really was every chance that the men could have been awarded more (I'm not saying they should have, but they could well have been), so the company probabily did the right thing.
  • Options
    If the roles were reversed, ie two white men were found doing the same thing howmore likely is it that they would be in prison rather than being awarded compensation?
  • Options
    2 words.

Nanny state.

Reminds me of when a proposal was put to parliament that the name Great Britain was racist and it should be changed to the "Community of Communities"
  • Options
    i can't imagine those 2 not getting the sh** kicked out of them if they had done that here in the USA.
  • Options
    so when the national anthem is played and i remain sitting......you can sack me?
    the national anthem is playing and i decide to sing keep the red flag flying as loud as i can?
    when remebrance day is having its one min silence i decide to sing "who the fuck is alice"..............not that i would do any of these things but...what happened to freedom of speech AND expression? these things are not laws that we must obey surely?
    when you salute a flag and i refuse to...........
  • Options
    Yeah but Mr roll, there is quite a big difference from what you are saying and these two people actually did.

Lot of people died that day, and all you had to do was shut your piehole for 2 mins and stay still.

fair enough, those two people wanted to rebel against that, they could have done it in another way that wouldn't upset people.

It sickness me that those two people made money out of doing something nasty and tackles. What kind of message does that send out?

Yes I know the world is a shitty and unfair place at the best of times, but even still.... I think that case was wrong, they should been fired.

This country is well and truly going down the pan.
  • Options
    I'd like to point out that the payment to them was made by the cleaning company in an out-of-court settlement; this was not compensation awarded by a court and thus it's a little difficult to conclude that the "country's going down the pan." It could be that the cleaning company (likely to employ illegal workers etc as they cannot find people willing to do their filthy, low-paid work normally) was so scared of the inevitable investigations into them and their working practices in the event of a court case that they settled out of court to avoid it. Who's morally reprehensible then?

You all are, in fact, drawing many conclusions from very little information (and even that comes from Richard Littlejohn - hardly likely to be remotely unbiased). The TGWU says they didn't know about the silence; this could surely be a real possibility?

And if they were doing it as a protest (perhaps against the fact that America's about to kill more than a couple of thousand civilians in Iraq) then they are entitled to do so; it is their freedom of speech and expression. Hamless, you say they could rebel in a way that "wouldn't upset people." Isn't the whole point of rebelling, of protest, to make an impact? Besides, to sack them for expressing free speech is actually illegal.

In future, I'd be more careful about getting whipped into hysteria about something Richard Littlejohn wrote.
  • Options
    not in this state its not. florida is a right to work state and you can be fired for anything. as an employer i would had to have fired those 2 for not being team players. they can express themselves all they want but not on my dime and certinaly not in a way that disrupts their working relationship with their co workers.

Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei
    I'd like to point out that the payment to them was made by the cleaning company in an out-of-court settlement; this was not compensation awarded by a court and thus it's a little difficult to conclude that the "country's going down the pan." It could be that the cleaning company (likely to employ illegal workers etc as they cannot find people willing to do their filthy, low-paid work normally) was so scared of the inevitable investigations into them and their working practices in the event of a court case that they settled out of court to avoid it. Who's morally reprehensible then?

You all are, in fact, drawing many conclusions from very little information (and even that comes from Richard Littlejohn - hardly likely to be remotely unbiased). The TGWU says they didn't know about the silence; this could surely be a real possibility?

And if they were doing it as a protest (perhaps against the fact that America's about to kill more than a couple of thousand civilians in Iraq) then they are entitled to do so; it is their freedom of speech and expression. Hamless, you say they could rebel in a way that "wouldn't upset people." Isn't the whole point of rebelling, of protest, to make an impact? Besides, to sack them for expressing free speech is actually illegal.

In future, I'd be more careful about getting whipped into hysteria about something Richard Littlejohn wrote.
  • Options
    Yes, I can see you are right in your points Vox populi, vox Dei. But still I hold onto the naive view that the company backing down was wrong, and them getting money wasn't right.

I also still think the country slowly going down the pan.

I know I'm naive.