Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

High Noon For Cannabis Cafe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just read the report below (sorry for copy & paste, but it’s already gone from the site in question!)

The letting agents have served one of the Cannabis Cafes in Worthing with eviction papers on behalf of the landlord.

This seems to be the pattern now, the Dutch Experience 2 in Bournemouth was dealt with in a similar way – clearly the authorities must be suggesting/threatening landlords with legal action over ‘allowing premises to be used’!

The DE Stockport got away with it a lot longer as the landlord was sympatric to the cause, but even he started ‘haphazard’ eviction proceedings after pressure, only going the ‘whole-hog’ after the conviction of Colin Davies – at which point a landlord would have no further defence in not exercising eviction.

It’s been troubling us in Taunton, as the main letting agents will have nothing to do with me, but we were going to form a limited company to take on premises, with my name added after we had signed a lease. But if eviction is going to be so easy for landlords, it could bugger that plan!

Anyway, any lawyers on here with suggestions of loopholes?

HIGH NOON FOR CANNABIS CAFE

A controversial Amsterdam-style cafe is set to close by Christmas Day following a series of police raids and court action.

Chris Baldwin, who runs Bongchuffa and the Quantum Leaf in Worthing, has been served with an eviction notice by the letting agents and must be out by December 25.

Last night he said: "There's going to be a lot of people in this town bitterly disappointed if this project fails."

Bongchuffa, in Rowlands Road, where the Quantum Leaf Cafe is also based, has twice been raided by police who arrested 14 people, including Mr Baldwin.

There was a demonstration outside Worthing Magistrates Court by pro-cannabis campaigners on Monday, when one of those arrested appeared on a drugs-related charge.

Chief Inspector Russ Whitfield, district commander of Worthing police, said: "I had an informal meeting with Chris Baldwin yesterday to discuss the future of the cafe.

"He stated that because of police action and the letting agents, the cafe would be closing down. I am pleased he has acted reasonably and therefore prevented future anguish to himself and the other residents of Worthing."

The eviction notice was served by Spratt's estate agents, bringing six months of trading to an end.

Mr Baldwin said: "They have told us to be out by Christmas Day but that is debatable. I am disappointed, of course, but they haven't won yet.

"For all those against the cafe, there is an awful lot of people for it. My resolve is still strong but I cannot say what is going to happen next."

"I have had no problems with the police. They have behaved impeccably towards me. I have not been very well lately with the work and the stress and everything else."

He was unable to say what would happen to a similar shop, Buddy's Hydroponics cafe in Brougham Road, Worthing, which has also been raided.

After the raids, Mr Baldwin said: "They will have to lock me up to stop me.

We are here to stay. If they move us on, we will find another and start again. The camaraderie here is beautiful and so strong."

He said the shop was used by many disabled people who smoked cannabis to relieve pain.

The Argus, UK
Pub Date: Thursday 19 December 2002

:(