Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Terrorists in Govan.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've just heard some interesting news and wondering if anyone else can shed some light on it.

Apparently there were three men arrested yesterday in Edinburgh charged with terrorism and supposed links to Al Qaeda. They were jailed in Edinburgh (I think) and moved to Govan police station. Now, Govan police station is on the same road as me, literally 5 minutes walk away. We went past there tonight and there were several policemen standing on guard, which there isn't normally. Now, is the above true? Could anyone possibly shed some more light on who these people are? And if so, why move them to Govan police station, is there any significance to this?

There was also something similar happened a few months ago, and suspected terrorists were also held at Govan.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know absolutely nothing about this particular case or police station, so the comments below are in general, and if any part applies, you can make those judgements yourself.

A suspected terrorist might be moved for three reasons not related to court proceedings.

1. For isolation/interrogation purposes. If Govan has better facilities to retain each of the three isolated from the others, that could be the reason. Isolation keeps them from discussions between themselves and assists interviewers in gaining information and identifying inconsistencies.

2. For defensive security. If Govan has fewer visitors, more easily observed and guarded approaches, etc., than it is easier to defend from an attempt to free the suspects. Your description of guards indicates this may be the reason for move.

3. For population security. A more isolated police facility would be less danger to the population should someone attempt bombing it in order to kill the suspects (terrorist organizations do this to avoid/reduce cells being compromised).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They were an Al Qaeda cell that was going to attack "Edinburgh's Hogmanay celebrations ". They found them out because of a cell that was picked up outside of Paris earlier in the week.

You can find the article, which I can't link from my school's PC, by going to Yahoo UK/Ireland. Go to news UK/Ireland, top stories, then look all the way down to "earlier stories."