Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think of the bomb parts they found in Paris.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
That's the link to the article.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/849581.asp?0sl=-12

It talks about finding chemicals and bomb parts as well as radical Islamic literature in this apartment near Paris.

I'm surprised. I really thought that the way the French play up to Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda would attack the US or UK or someone.

Comments

• Options
    Re: What do you think of the bomb parts they found in Paris.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

I'm surprised. I really thought that the way the French play up to Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda would attack the US or UK or someone.

In what way do the French 'play up' to Al Qaida?

The people were North Africans and possibly had nothing to do with OBL etc.

As Clandestine has mentioned many North Africans have their own grievances with France that are far more long running than Al Qaida...........
  • Options
    The literature in the apartment links them to Al Qaeda.

I guess the French are tough on terrorists.
  • Options
    pnj, you are obviously saturated to the gills with Bush's blind insistance that every islamic extremist group is linked to Al Qaeda.

Sorry to burst your bubble pal, but you have no clue whatsoever of what you are speaking.

The extremists that have plagued France for years are from an Algerian group known as the GIA. There isnt any proof to date that the GIA has anything to do with the people we fought in Afghanistan or who are alleged to have committed 9/11.

Remember that OBL's ranting whether on TV or via literature is probably read by most Islamic fringe group members even if the groups in question are not functionally related to OBL's own group.

Its like saying that just because you have a book written by Henry Kissinger in your personal library, does that automatically classify you as an extreme right wing Republican?

I think youre smart enough to know that it takes more than allegations to constitute unshakable evidence.
  • Options
    You checked out the news link I listed right?
  • Options
    Yes I read it pnj, and like most news reports these days it makes vague claims but says nothing about the suspects being directly linked to Al Quaeda.

Learn to separate allegation from concrete fact in whatever reports you read and dont just look for Buzz words like "Al Qaeda" to provide you with a full picture. Everything these days is being called Al Quaeda regardless of whether any specific group has been around long before OBL ever started his brand of terror.

Also be aware that articles are often given sensationalist headlines in order to capture the readers attention and it is this "spin" which is the lasting impression most of the general public come away with even if the actual contents of the article do not support the particular claim being made in any given headline.

Prime example is the Washington Post article concerning the latest claimed link between Saddam and Al Qaeda which has become the focus of so much international criticism and analaysis that it had to be directly dismissed by the White House (which would have preferred to use it as the "smoking gun" they have been looking for to justify unilateral attack on Iraq.

Please try to be a bit more discerning and you might start to see through the rhetoric to what is really going on in world politics.
  • Options
    k- Hey, by the way, did you see the new proposals for the World Trade Center site. I like the one from a London Group by Lord somebody or other. It would be the world's tallest building. If you go to the NY Post online you can see it on their front cover.