Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MEPs CALL FOR END TO DRUGS PROHIBITION

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My claim to fame! I spent a good hour talking to this guy, whilst toking, in the Dutch Experience cafe, Stockport. I also appeared in court with him on possession charges after the demos in support of the DE – I only had hemp papers, he was in possession!

Press release issued by Chris Davies MEP.

NEWS RELEASE
DATE: 18 December 2002

MEPs CALL FOR END TO DRUGS PROHIBITION

More than 100 MEPs have signed a declaration calling for an end to the prohibition of drugs.

The show of support for a radical change in policy is thought to be one of the largest ever by elected representatives anywhere in the world.

The MEPs, of all parties, are calling for the repeal of the existing UN conventions when these are come up for review in April next year, and for prohibition to be replaced by government regulation and licensing.

They want new policy to emphasise the need for harm reduction measures, including the separation of soft and hard drugs through the decriminalisation of cannabis, and the medical supply of heroin to addicts.

North West Liberal Democrat MEP Chris Davies, one of the authors of the declaration, said that prohibition had proved to be the cause rather than the solution to many of the world's drug-related problems.

He said: "Prohibition of drugs has proved to have all the failings of US prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s, only many times worse.

"Current policy has fuelled the explosion in criminality which is corrupting societies across the world. Lives of drug users are being lost unnecessarily while the drug barons are laughing all the way to the bank."
:D