Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

U.N. report: Al Qaeda still active

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
U.N. report: Al Qaeda still active
Tuesday, December 17, 2002 Posted: 9:22 PM EST (0222 GMT)

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- Al Qaeda is still able to receive money despite global efforts to combat the financing of terrorism and its members are still able to travel widely, according to a report released Wednesday by a U.N. Security Council panel of experts.

Edited by me and just discoved how to link articles to TheSite.

Comments

• Options
    oh, and could you stop just posting news articles in without comment? this *is* a discussion board :)

if you've got something to say with regards to an article, then put in a link to the originating site, and then make your point.
  • Options
    I wanted the discussion based on facts Big Ben but I understand that articles take up too much space. Also, when I just give an opinion, you have people say I made it up.
  • Options
    So my opinion is when someone says that the Al Qaeda thing is exaggerated...I don't buy it. I buy into the articles I read.
  • Options
    What is the point of this post?

I could have told you that al-Qaeda was still active without reading this article. It's common sense. Is this a point of contention?

pnj, if you want a discussion on an article, the accepted way here is to post an article, then state your opinion. Although, unlikely you would ever get any discussion ont his, unless you wanted to posit taht al-Qaeda wasn't active.
  • Options
    Well, actually, someone who posts here a lot said the threat of Al Qaeda is being exaggerated to make Bush richer. So that's the opinion I'm arguing with. I wanted to do it with articles...not just my opinion.

Just discovered how to link to news articles.:naughty:
  • Options
    But you haven't stated an opinion, just an article and statement.........
  • Options
    My opinion is that the threat from Al Qaeda is real, it isn't exaggerated and the only reason they seem to have disappeared to some is that governments worldwide have changed their laws and caught them.
  • Options
    Actually pnj, my contention that the Al Qaeda threat is exaggerated does not mean that there is no threat from Al Qaeda, merely a need to put what you read into perspective and learn more about how governments have historically used the "outside enemy" factor to sway public opinion in favour of whatever the government wants to do even if that means stomping all over the very principles upon which our nation was founded.

Certainly Al Quaeda is a threat, as is the IRA and any fringe extremist group that resorts to violence to make their case, however our current leadership are a bigger threat to our nation, our individual liberties and our security.

It's a matter of proportion. Someday perhaps youll come to see that more clearly, or perhaps not.
  • Options
    thanks clandestine I appreciate your thoughts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    My opinion is that the threat from Al Qaeda is real, it isn't exaggerated and the only reason they seem to have disappeared to some is that governments worldwide have changed their laws and caught them.

I agree with Clandestine.

I would never say that they were no threat at all but I would argue that they are far less a threat than most people suggest.

Looking at the evidence of their actual attacks, the scale of them and the technology they appear to have I do not understand why people have started worrying about chemical or nuclear attacks, there is no evidence...............:confused:
  • Options
    On CNN they did show the Al Qaeda video of a dog being gased to death in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Not quite evidence of a capability to unleash a chemical attack here though is it?
  • Options
    Scared me. And the dog was so cute. It was a blond Labrador retriever and it was wearing a green ribbon. As they released the canister of gas, the Al Qaeda were laughing as they ran.
  • Options
    Well that isn't very nice but I am not sure if there are any meaningful conclusions that can be drawn from it.......
  • Options
    I felt it showed they could kill something with gas within a large room.
  • Options
    Which isn't much of a terrorist attack..........