Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Punishment of children in Britain...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was reading this English text, where a pretty tolerant dad ends up with beating his son.

And a the question "Is physical punishment in Britain allowed?" came up.

If yes, to which extent? Where's the limit?

Comments

• Options
    Till it leaves a mark basically. The belt so shouldn't have been banned. There are many people you just know would have benefited from a few lashes of the belt every once in a while.
  • Options
    The law on corporal punishment in the home is open to much intepretation by the law, however there is a line that can be drawn. Smacking or slapping a child once or twice is seen as acceptable, it leaves no lasting physical or mental trauma but is an effective way of controlling an unruly child.
    However the courts can easily tell if someone has taken this too far, and taking a belt or slipper to a child and beating them is too far.
  • Options
    I've read that the United Nations is warning the UK about their refusal to ban spanking in the home, which is deemed a violation of the international convention to protect the rights of children that was adopted by the UK in 1991.

The only countries not to adopt the convention are Somalia and the U.S.

Besides what is written on paper, are there any plans to ban corporal punishment in the UK?
  • Options
    I don't believe it has been considered by parliament as yet but there may be a case of legal precedent being et before that if it illegal under something we have signed to.........

It seems ridiculous to most people but some social workers and campaigners claim it would us deal with the problem of more serious abuse..........
  • Options
    I've met few children who haven't had any kind of little tap on the butt and were nice, well behaved kids. I think it's such a rejection by the parent...it works. Abuse is intolerable.
  • Options
    I think smacking is banned in Scotland??. But its not here in England, although it should be.
    Theres no excuse for violence, in any form, against children.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I think it's such a rejection by the parent...it works. Abuse is intolerable.

I have children, I have smacked their legs in the past.

Guess that makes me an abuser, does it?
  • Options
    Don't want to hi-jack but it doesn't deserve it's own thread.......

I'm off on uni holidays for 4 weeks so I won't be on here very much and possibly not at all.......

Have a nice christmas and I'll see (:confused: ) you all in January, fairwell...........

:)

Toadborg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Don't want to hi-jack but it doesn't deserve it's own thread.......

I'm off on uni holidays for 4 weeks so I won't be on here very much and possibly not at all.......

Have a nice christmas and I'll see (:confused: ) you all in January, fairwell...........

:)

Toadborg.

Enjoy your vacation!
    Merry x-mas and happy new year!