Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

24/7 News & Fear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometime around the time of 9/11 in the US cable t.v. really grew. The result is we have several news channels like CNN who to keep us tuning in are constantly spinning news. In fact, I know more about what's happening in the war on terror worldwide than I do in my own little shore town. And I'm 16!

So my question to The Site is: How much news do we need and does it make us better citizens or more fearful?

Comments

• Options
    If it were critical and questioning reporting all well and good. But sadly the vast majority of news sources in the US are actually (despite claims to the contrary) right wing driven news agencies. Insofar as we have a President and admininstration hell bent on keeping the public paranoid so they not only forget all the unanswered questions about the actualities of 9/11 and equally as heinous, the coverup that stonewalled the Anthrax mailer investigation (notice no arrests ever made and Ashcroft just says "we couldnt solve it!". Hah, truth is the culprit was more than likely a top scientist working for the US Gov/Military with lotsa connections to keep him safe and above the law.

At the same, do these channels you speak of ever think to ask why every evil act in the world can so easily be ascribed to Al Queda these days (since noone watching was likely at the scene) and not perhaps the CIA / NSA (which have agents all over the world too) in an effort to keep the war option at the top of the agenda?

Somebody(ies) at the top are profiting big time since 9/11 and noone even thinks (nor do the media ever suggest) that there could be a connection. Go figure.

And thats my take on the situation for good or for ill.

(course listen to our military types and theyll be all behind Bushie boy and his war machine 100%) Kill, Crush, Destroy, Subjugate!
  • Options
    You're right about the Antrax. They are searching some home in Maryland near one of those government labs. Also, liberals in the news and congress were targeted. Would Al Qaeda have known their names.
  • Options
    Al Quaeda had nothing to do with it. It was a home grown crime from start to finish and the gov is covering it up, but is there anyone waking up and getting wise to just how much of a whacko we have in the White House? Noooooooo of course not. The Republicans just nod and believe that betraying the constitution is ok and necessary and the military is dying to play with so many new toys of death that its all "Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead".

If people back home want fear and paranoia as a daily snack then let them start looking closer to home (i.e. The White House) for the biggest threat to our nation and our long cherished way of life.
  • Options
    and never answer questions about american citezens funding the ira to blow the crap out of americas only true ally ?
  • Options
    In Britain ever major news channel on the terrestial channels also has a local equivalent that comes on after the national and international news.
    Most of the headlines in the UK are quite well balanced between the networks, we get CNN but noone watches it because it's shit.
  • Options
    Its about quality not quantity. News broadcasts need to balanced with interviews, special reports and discussions to gain a good picturer of what is actually going on.

I find newspapers to be superior to TV/Radio anyway...............
  • Options
    I usually rely on the BBC website for news, and Private Eye for some extra commentary. I figure the truth must be somewhere in between what the two of them are telling me.
  • Options
    That sounds smart Darth. I honestly don't know if this is true. I've heard recently that papers like the NY Times are liberal, while the Fox channel is conservative. I know they were the first one's to start calling the Palestinians terrorists...which I think is wrong. Not that I think blowing yourself up is right. And I do notice that fat old men like Saddam and Bin Laden don't blow themselves up.
  • Options
    Like Darth Fred, I tend to use news.bbc.co.uk as my main factual news source. I used to be a The Times man, but I seem to have switched over to medium that doesn't involve paying 15p (cheap uni rate) a shot and has a cross-referencing system that doesn't involve rummaging through huge stacks of back-issues. And pretty pictures, maps and diagrams. :)

:: Waves to the BBCi link on his desktop. ::

For satire and cynical commentary, I have this place -- and the rest of the net, too, I guess. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    And I do notice that fat old men like Saddam and Bin Laden don't blow themselves up.

They and others like them have others to do the dying for them. It's part of being a leader; the other part is trying to make sure they don't die in vain.