Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

what do they mean to you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK...I'm wondering what the following peoplemean to you, how do you perceive them, Do they mean something in the world, or are they utter pants....

Avril Lavigne - Is she really genuine or a marketing mans puppet packaged as a singer songwriter?

Busted - Do they have anything to offer other than youthfull looks and fake rebellion?

Nirvana - Over-rated or musical genius?

Bob Dylan - Poet, maser songwriter, or of no significance to music today
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: what do they mean to you?
    Originally posted by byny

Avril Lavigne - Is she really genuine or a marketing mans puppet packaged as a singer songwriter?

Genuine. She's poppy, but that does't mean she aint the real deal.

Busted - Do they have anything to offer other than youthfull looks and fake rebellion?

Well they are pop. To some people it might mean more because they play guitar, but I think it's a gimmick thing. Like the fake rebellion thing is. I like their music though.

To be honest, not my cup of tea. I can't see what the fuss is about, but if I liked their music I'd probably understand it better.

I really don't know who he is. I've head of him, but I'm not sure what he did musically. I'm so ignorant.
    avril - havn't really heard or seen enough to really know. though that new song of hers, whatever its called, she has quite a nice voice.

busted - no idea who they are

nirvana - good while they lasted, but they are gone now. i think there is far too much hype on kurt cobain though

bob dylan - horrible horrible voice, but good songwriter.
    Re: Re: what do they mean to you?

[QUOTE
    I really don't know who he is. I've head of him, but I'm not sure what he did musically. I'm so ignorant. [/B][/QUOTE]

ERK ...but you're 19...you should find out!! but I guess if you were going to get into him you would have done it in your late teens and you'd probably hate him if you heard his current stuff
    Avril- I really like her album.Genuine.

Busted- don't like them.

Nirvana- not really my thing.

Bob Dylan- again not my thing.
    Avril - eh, don't really care for her much. By the way, any white bread singer songwriter (and yes, she is quite white bread) is a marketer's wet dream, who needs a puppet? Take John Mayer for example, same stuff he was singing before he got big, just a whole lot more early teen girls listening to it.

Nirvana - some of their stuff is good, but most of it isn't really to my taste. A little too drug-depressed for my liking. I'll still sing along with "Smells like Teen Spirit" tho... it's a fun song.
    Avril is sexy, and I quite like her stuff :)
    avril- liked her until i saw her live and realised how much she cannot sing to save her life

busted- should go back to playing air guitar

nirvana- set the way for so many good bands and they rocked
    bob dylan, horrid voice but amazing songs
    Avril - Just thinks she is rude

Busted - Trying to look the cool, but failing miserably

Nirvana - Good but over hyped

And who.... :blush:
    Avril Lavigne - Not sure, but don't like her music.

Busted - A waste of time and energy. Cashing in.

Nirvana - Good (although not to my taste), but overrated.

Bob Dylan - I know nothing much about him.
    Avril Lavigne - Yet another punk pop cash in with no attitude what so ever. Sk8tr Boi??? I mean wtf??? She plays guitar, a whole four chords per song man!!! Wow!!!

Sorry, but just like New Found Glory, another 'punk rocker' with the attitude of a teeny bopper.

Busted - Haven't heard t'be honest.

Nirvana - I respect them as a band, but believe that they're waaaaay over-hyped. Not bad, but yeah, too many Curt Cobain hoodies goin' round.

Bob Dylan - Haven't really looked in to him that much to be honest. But it's like, I think I've heard a bit and I think I've read a little of his poetry... I dunno.

Early Alanis rip off. Marketing man's dream really, whatever her songwriting quality...

Hyped, rebellion my arse

They were good for their time, but I'm not sure they would have lasted anyway. I'm now wondering who really was the most talented one in the band...

Ah, they answer to this one, is blowing in the wind...

Shite.

She can't play guitar. Despite what people say.

She is also pop. Despite what people say (ie she's not a punk, retards).

Never heard of them.

Really good band, but at the same time, way too over-rated. Probably due to Kurts death.

Love his music. Probably influenced alot of bands that're around today.
    HURRAH!!!!!:D
    HURRAH!!!!!:D

...? :eek2:
    She is lyrically backwards, she cannot play guitar, she isn't a 'punk' but she is fecking gorgeous. So, yeah, a marketing man's dream.
    Busted - Do they have anything to offer other than youthful looks and fake rebellion?
    Again, can't play guitar, mime badly and and generally trying to cash in on the pop-punk generation. And working. Meh, good luck to them....
    Weren't the first grunge band despite what people say, BUT were important in that they opened up grunge and alternative music to the masses. His influence on many can't be denied, but I have absolutely no respect for Kurt Cobain. His death was a cop out. saying that, I have no respect for Courtney Love either.
    Bob Dylan - Poet, master songwriter, or of no significance to music today
    Not a fan, don' think he has a very nice voice if I'm honest, but of great musical importance.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    They were good for their time, but I'm not sure they would have lasted anyway. I'm now wondering who really was the most talented one in the band...

Dave Grohl...
    OK...I'm wondering what the following peoplemean to you, how do you perceive them, Do they mean something in the world, or are they utter pants....

Avril - rock bandwagon, just like Pink. She'll be either nothing or a hip-hop star next year. Still have to say "her" music is a lot better than...

Busted - shit. rock bandwagon. laughable basically cos they dont even have a drummer

Nirvana - Brilliant.

Bob Dylan - Even better. If he had no significance his songs wouldnt have been covereed by Jimi Hendrix or Rage Against The Machine.
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun

Avril - rock bandwagon, just like Pink.
    i like pinks stuff, yea it isn't rock, but she seems a nice enough person. avril should just be gagged and cement shoes

Avril=Not a fan of hers, however all credit to her if she writes her own songs, I dont find them amazing but hey:rolleyes:

Nirvana=A little over rated, but they opened the door for bands impersonating opps :naughty: I mean "expressing their emotions". They were successful because of the time they were exposed, that it was a new sound and how people could relate, blah, blah.

Bob Dylan= Poet, songwriter, and he is one of few that has a major influence in some artists today.
    Avril - She's an over-styled rinky dinky pop wonder girl who's going to sell a shitload of records and then vanish without ever having left anything truly lasting.
    It's tolerable, but dull. Congratulations, you write your own lyrics. Shame they're completely retarded.

Busted - I'm not particularily fond of their 'music.' Seem to have that 'boybands suck!' chip on their shoulder.

Nirvana - I was never a great fan. I think they are given too much credit for shaping music today and I really don't see Kurt Cobain as any kind of song-writing genius.
    Dave Grohl can come round to mine for tea anyday, however.

Bob Dylan - Some of his songs I love. Others I can pass on. I think it is a shame that so many people feel they can't 'dislike' him though, simply because he is considered to have been so important to the music bizz.
    Re: Re: Re: what do they mean to you?
    Originally posted by Deeeeb

Dave Grohl...

:yes:
    Avril - she's a singersongwriter as far as I know

Busted - the thing they have to offer is a very catchy tune, don't expect a musical masterpiece.

Nirvana - I think overrated but they were still pretty good.

Bob Dylan - I've heard OF him, so no comment.
    Do you know what...This has kind of restored my faith because I was getting really confused about Avril whatshername..I thought that perhaps people had really fallen for the idea that she created her product when infact she is created to sell a product.

I still think Nirvana are important but I think people forget bands like Tad and the Meat Puppets and the Pixies and sonic Youth were far more influential before Nirvana came round.
    I think Kurt Cobain has a lot in Common with Eminem, only Eminem has managed to get his head out of his arse.

Busted..no comment

but Dylan I can see what people mean when they say it shouldn't be a crime to dislike dylan. Myself..I love him mostly. Tehre are songs i can't abide but then I just have to listen to some others and I love him to bits again just for his lyrical craftmanship!
    Avril Lavigne, personally, I do like her songs. Granted, they're not musical genius, but listenable. And yes, someone is obviously trying to sell her (she does have a band after all, why is it just her that gets the mention?). But you know, shes enjoying herself, and people like he music, so wheres the harm.
    But she pouts too much. :p she plays to much on the rebelling girlie thing, which just annoy a lot of people.

Busted, I don't like their songs, and its like hey 'boybands suck', even though thats what they are. Maybe they'd appeal more if they didn't try to be something they're not, coz that puts people off.

Nirvana, yeah, good band, but who knows where the may have failed if Kurt Cobain was still alive?

Bob Dylan, I've not heard a great deal of his stuff, just the more well known stuff, but a lot of bands that came after him looked to him as inspiration, so thats gotta mean something.
    Originally posted by Lorna
    (she does have a band after all, why is it just her that gets the mention?).

He he he :D:D:D:D
    Avril Lavigne - Personally, i can't stand her and it annoys me to death when people say she's punk. As someone said in another post, how can she be punk when she has never heard of Sid Vicious? She's a smash hits wannabe rock star. Big wow if she can play a guitar, so can a lot of other people and a lot better than she can. She's a pretty girl dressed up in baggy clothes and made to frown a lot. Not rebellious, just following the pop/rock trend thats about at the moment.

Busted - Aparently, they played Leeds festival a few years ago under another name. Their songs are crap. They're cashing in on the current music trend just like Avril Lavigne. I saw something about them on cd:uk. They were doing a record signing and guess who was there, but a whole load of screaming school girls holding up posters of them the got out of top of the pops and smash hits magazine. They claim to hate boy bands when they are one. Seems strange to me.

Nirvana - Were good in their time, have influanced a lot of bands today but i think that they are very over rated.

Bob Dylan - I know who he is but have never *knowingly* heard any of his music. So i can't comment. :)
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies

Busted - Aparently, they played Leeds festival a few years ago under another name. Their songs are crap. They're cashing in on the current music trend just like Avril Lavigne. I saw something about them on cd:uk. They were doing a record signing and guess who was there, but a whole load of screaming school girls holding up posters of them the got out of top of the pops and smash hits magazine. They claim to hate boy bands when they are one. Seems strange to me.

I don't think they've ever claimed to hate boy bands...in fact I'm sure I read an interview and they said they knew they were all lads in a group but they werent a typical boy band cos they didn't do ballads and stuff...hmmm. But they dont hate them. And I don't think they're trying to be something they're not because they do describe their music as pop so they dont think they're some heavy rock band.

And they do have a drummer! well hes in the band and he plays drums he just plays guitar in most of the videos.

*walks off whispering 'I'm not a massive fan of Busted, honestly...:D*

marketing mans puppet

Who?

Somewhere inbetween I guess.
    At least he went out with a bang ;)

Don't like him but what do I know? I am only 22 and am sure he did a lot for music of his type.

Marketing mans wet dream more like.

Looks, Sarah Michell Gellar's cute kid sister
    Style, Mall Rat meets Skate/punk (note American punk is NOT the same as UK Punk)
    Songs, Hummable, enjoyable Alanis Morrisettish with a few thrashy fast numbers and none of the cringe worthy ernestness.
    PS she also writes them, Kudos with the 'real music brigade'

Good luck to her, 3 Albums and she will be gone though.

Even the Sex Pistols pedeled fake rebelion.

At last, a boy band that sings fun disposable pop, not over-ernest ballads or cringe worthy cod RnB

Over-rated, Good, very good, blast of fresh air when they came along, but not the gods they are made out to be.

Little significance. His influence is more in the Strokes and in the indie guitar underground. Still he did make some corkers, and a losd of tosh as well.
    Avril Lavigne, I must admit I like some of her stuff, Its some of the only pop I like, and her lyrics arent masterpieces but one fo the songs i can relate to, so thats probably why i like it..and its easy to understand for ppl like me :D :rolleyes: But yea, shes there to make loads of money by being promoted as a sexy punk 'who does her own thing and doesn't care what anybody else thinks of her'..:rolleyes:

Busted
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont mention them, I canNOT stand them!! What is with them?? Thinking theyre a band..adn like soembody else said they havent even got a bloody drummer????? I heard a song by them....I'm telling you the lyrics were genious :rolleyes: soemthing about going to the year 3000, and a fit granddaughter or soemthing? :eek2: They are a pile of shite!!! And yea..need to practice theyre miming techniques :rolleyes:

Nirvana
    Not that into them, but recently actually properly listened to some of theyre stuff, and my friend taught me the base to come as you are, which was fun, and made me listen and appreciate it a lot more, but yea, way over hyped, and again like soembody said..what is with all them hoodies?

Bob Dylan...sorry, haven't heard much of his stuff, although heard a lot of bands and artists say how inspirational he is, so must mean soemthing, eh?

:)