Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

anaemic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i've never actually been diagnosed with anamia and i dont want to waste the doctors time with blood tests, so what are the basic symtoms. I think I have it because: i get tired often unless i havent been active, i have yellow/white skin, not pinky red like most caucasions, my tongue is white and pink not red.

Also are there any natural remedies if this is the case? Like some super iron rich foods that will help. In the morning i don;t usually have breakfast, this could be causing it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to the doctors you won't be wasting their time as they will probably just refer you to your local hospital for a blood test. I was diagnosed with anaemia and was simply put on a course of iron tablets, and now I'm fine! I used to get really dizzy and always feel tired, and have been told (don't know if this is true) but it u pull your bottom eyelid down and look inside mine used to be really pale when I was anaemic! so see what colour it is! But please do go to the doctors or you’ll end up really ill!
    Yep, get straight to the docs, especially the yellow skin. Called Jaundice and can be caused by several serious diseases, inc Hepatitis B and C, infections of the liver, and abuse of alcohol. Are the whites of your eyes yellow too? That's a clear indication of jaundice.
    i get very very vbery dizzy sometimes, but i think that is because i have something wrong with both my ears. its like they are blocked but they aint...

erm just checked the whites of my eyes are white, which is good? but yea my skin is still yellow, but i dont drink alchohol, and ive never had sex or performed/had performed a sex act so i dont think i have hepatitis - unless it can be transmitted in another way...

anyway im very tired now, my eyes are stinging, lol its only 11:40!!!

I used to be on ferrous sulphate which were my mums on prescription but that gave me diarrheah sort of so i stopped taking them..

my mum is anaemic and so was my great uncle so it might be genetic.....

HOLY FECK!!

i just checked under my eyelids and they are milky white, like super pure white, with like a couple of veins running across them that stand out. wow! but its like really really really white!! does everybodys go like this or is it a sign of anameia?
    Still go to the doctors!! :) U need 2!
    Well some forms of hepatitis you can get from water! Say you've had salad that's been washed by someone who didn't wash their hands after a wee. Get yaself to the docs matey, pronto.
    i'm with everyone who's saying 'doctors'.

a very simple blood test, a very simple course of tablets and you're right as rain.

it's possible it might be something other than anaemia.
    im going to go to the doctors soon then - i eat meat, though i often leave vegetables like broccoli etc on my plate, which could be the cause...

but i may as well go to the doctors anyway to be sure

Oh by the way, why do parents always insist its in my mind? Im shattered, its only 5:25pm, i got up at 10:00am ish - all ive done today is gone cinema which is not that exerting. but they say there is nothing wrong with me! They think im one of those people who thinks there is always something wrong with them. I know through self-diagnosis you are always likely to pick the most severe illness, but my mum says i can either take her tablets or just learn to live with it. My dad says i just need to eat my greens. Ill just book myself into the doctors anyway. Its annoying though as if i need to go to hospital (for a blood test) i don't expect my parents will be too helpful!
    they should be able to take the blood test at your doctor's surgery. just ring up and ask them what you have to do, eg. at my surgery you have to go and see the nurse in the morning so that they can send the samples off to be looked at that day, and the doctors won't waste their time doing them! But all it takes is a phone call to see! Definitely get it all checked out though. I found out I was anaemic and just had to have some iron tablets for a couple of months and I'm fine now.
    Good luck!
    certain blood types are more susebtible(sp) to anemia apparently.im quite often got it but more so diagnoised & have stuff when am pregnant because i loathe docs for myself & taking pills.i will only be willing for tests when pregnant as i want to ensure i can carry.But if u have a good doc u should have no doubts about going to them.I got a fab last two docs before that i had a useless doc who treated me like a complete idiot.& nearly killed me off on a asthma trial by only giving me placebos.A Good doc is vital & should listen to any worrys u have!
    NEVER attempt to self diagnose anaemia. You need a blood test.

It is possible to have anaemia without having any of the 'common' signs or symptoms. There's no point giving you dietary advice yet - you don't know if it's anaemia or not, and you don't know if the anaemia is iron-related or not (it has many causes, iron-poor diet is only one).