Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

period+infection?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I have a NON sexually transmitted infection such as thrush, is it likely that having my period will clear it up by itself?
I have slightly different symptoms to last time I had thrush but I am fairly certain that is what it is, or some other such infection, but my period is due fairly soon and I'm going off for an interview very soon so don't actually have time to go to the doctor, and anyway the results don't come back for a week so it wouldn't help.
Anyone had experience with this or know if the period will help, since they say that if you just leave these things they often do rectify themselves...
any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    no a period wont clear up thrush, it can make it worse due to tampons or sanitary towels. You dont have to see a doctor for thrush if you know thats what t is, as you can get canestan over the counter. If that doesnt help, then youll know its not thrush and can see a doctor then.
  • Options
    If you have an infection, having a period will not make any difference. Rule out the possibility of an STI, and see your doctor. If the symptoms are different from the last time you had thrush, it's especially important to do this. Your GP may have a drop-in surgery, or see you as an emergency patient.
  • Options
    When I had thrush a few months ago I went to see my nurse and she prescribed me some canestan, but she did also say that having a period will make it feel slightly better, although it wont clear it up.
    Hope that helps!:)
  • Options
    Apparently progesterone provides an ideal living and breeding ground for thrush so it can get worse (or flair up) just before a period as this is high in your bloodstream. During a period you may not notice it as much because of the bleeding or it may clear up a bit as the hormone levels change, but tampons can spread it about. I had thrush the 1st time around, which mainly involved iching and not much else, but recently I had a yeasty green discharge without the itching but I had swabs and it turns out to be the same thing so symptoms can vary. I was told to use canestan for at least 14 days, at the onset of any (even mild) thrush symptoms as it can be a real bugger to get rid of and flair up again and again if not killed off.