Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

advice needed on the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya
I need your help because I dont know if any1 else is in, or has been in the same situation as me here..... I am 17 and have decided (for obvious reasons) that I want to go on the pill....you see that isn't the problem, it's going about it. My mum and I are quite close but I am relatively shy about things to do with sex etc so we don't really discuss it much. I want to go on the pill but I don't know whether to do it without telling her...I know it hasn't really anything to do with her but I think she would be hurt if I didn't tell her and she found them but...I cant face just coming out with it to her. I dont tend to go to the doctors much anyway so I can't say i'm that close with him...
I need your help please, shall I go ahead and book an appointment and go on, or shall I ask her about it first?? It may seem trivial but i've been thinking about it a hell of a lot recently!

cheers for your time

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure. She would probably be relieved to know you're being sensible if she has guessed/ knows that you're having sex. My mum knows that I'm on the pill but I got prescribed it to help with periods so it's a somewhat different situation (but I think my mum was still relieved). I hide my anti-depressants from everyone and the only people who know I'm on them are the people on this internet site and my GP. It scares me the thought of being found out and it makes me feel guilty too which aren't nice feelings to live with so you might be better off saying than trying to hide it. Maybe you could book the appointment first then tell her why you're going. To be honest as an "outsider" it is difficult to advise as this very much depends on you, your mother and your relationship with each other. But I guess most mums would like to know that their children are taking care of themselves.
  • Options
    I went and got it without my mum knowing. I think she knows now because else she would have told me to go on it knowing what me and my boyfriend get upto. I keep it in my cupboard in a bag but nowadays I don't really care where I put it, it's just in my cupboard and not hiden at all. She's probably seen it cos once hung some clothes up for me. do what's right for you, your legal age to have sex now so really it's upto you!
  • Options
    Me & my Mum are pretty close too but when I first went on the pill I didn't tell her. I was only 16 although my long term boyfriend went with me to the doctors & everything.

I've been on the pill for just over a year now & my Mum found out only a couple of months ago. She didn't say anything to me, I only knew she had found out because when she put some clothes away for me she put the pill packet on top of the clothes.

I'm 18 now so I thought what the hell, I may as well talk to her about it. She was fine, just asked how long i'd been on it for & why I didn't come to her but said she understood why I didn't.

I think you know your Mum best & so only you will know how she would react. Maybe book the appointment, see what the doctor says & then talk to your Mum after?
  • Options
    hi!
    i was in the same position a few months ago. Exactly the same in fact!
    In the end...I went to the doctor and got the pill prescription, without telling mum because I hadn't quite plucked up the courage, but then I decided that I did want her to know before i started taking it, so i did actually tell her and in fact I made out that I hadn't been to the doctor yet so that she would be pleased I had to gone to her, which she was.
    I'm glad I told her because it broke the ice and i was able to talk to her about other stuff although i had been way too shy to before.
    It's up to you though...the doctor actualyl said to me "does your mum know you're going on it? because if she doesnt' she soon will", something about mum's just knowing! so it may be worth telling her anyway before she just finds out.
    Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    Hi i've only just joined this site but i know exactly how u feel. I had the same problem a few months ago. I want 2 go on the pill because of my bad periods and the fact i wanted 2 b safe when having sex. I'm not sure if my mum realised that there were 2 reasons. But she accepted it quite happily. I booked an appointment with our local nurse and my mum took me along. hope that kinda helps.:(
  • Options
    My advice is to tell your mom. Think of how thrilled she would be that you care enough about her to let her know what's going on in your life. And that your smart enough to be taking precaution for pregnancy.

If your mom is uptight and you are not very close, then you should go alone. Although, what will her reaction be when she finds your pills? Might be worth it to tell her no matter what.

:)
  • Options
    oh yeah, and.......

does anyone know if the pill makes u put on loadsa weight? Cos it happened to a friend of mine, and I really don't wanna put on any weight when I go onto it. Is it a specific type of pill that makes u put on weight? thanx! xx:D
  • Options
    I didn't put on any weight with my pill (Microgynon 30)...I think often people just think that they will and then when they do put on weight they blame it on that, when in fact it could be for other reasons, like simply eating more! It's a good excuse though!
    But yeah, if the first pill you try doesn't work for you then it's easy to switch to another one and hope that's better...but give it a few months to settle down.
  • Options
    You could always do what i did.......

after sleeping with my current boyfriend for the first time, the condom fell off inside me, this prompted me to get the pill....I was 16 so i went and got an appointment and got the pill.

I told my mam when i was shopping with her a few days later taht i had been and got it. She asked why.....avoiding the true answer i said 'my periods come when im not expecting them, this is the way to know when they are gonna be coming'

:D

i think shes guessed now that im having sex (aged 17 with a boyf of 15 months and a blabbermouth 'friend' telling my mam that when i was 15 my boyfriend at the time used to throw our used condoms in his neigbours garden)!!!!!!!#

But it gets easier!
  • Options
    I went on the pill when i was 15, and it was for two reasons - i have crippling period pains and wanted to see if it would help, and my L-T b/f and i were having sex. I went to a Brook Clinic and went on it, and they advised me to talk to my parents about it, but that was it. Anyways, i did drop it into the conversation with my mum a couple of days later (again, while we were shopping!) and she was fine with it, i explained why (concentrating on the period bit OBVIOUSLY!) and it was all good. I think she appreciates being let know what's going on in my life - she worries less that way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xapis
    I didn't put on any weight with my pill (Microgynon 30)...I think often people just think that they will and then when they do put on weight they blame it on that, when in fact it could be for other reasons, like simply eating more! It's a good excuse though!
    But yeah, if the first pill you try doesn't work for you then it's easy to switch to another one and hope that's better...but give it a few months to settle down.

I was on microgynon 30 for three months. I didn't put on weight, but I still had problems with this pill. Instead of making my periods lighter and shorter, they were longer and heavier. Was not chuffed! So yes, I'm on depo now.... No periods!
  • Options
    I wasn't going to tell my mum when I went on the pill but then I decided it would be best to tell her. It was a little embarrassing since I was basically admitting I was having sex but she was actually quite proud that I was being sensible and taking control of the situation and stuff. It would be best to tell anyway. I looked at it this way, if I had to go into hospital or something, my mum would need to know what medication I was on. Also I knew there were various side effects and so I'd eventually have to tell her if it caused me to be sick.

:heart: saucepot :heart:
  • Options
    As everyone's been saying, tell your Mum. Honesty's the best policy (and will probably break down a lot of barriers) but if you're that worried about admitting to sex, there are many other reasons you could give her - heavy periods, irregular periods, painful periods...

I was 19 and at uni, so I could postpone the confession time for a bit. Although she knew (or at least assumed) we were sleeping together beforehand, as my boyfriend stays in my room when he visits. Even so, it was still a bit daunting when I went back to uni after having gone home for the weekend, left the packet in my room and had to text her to pick them up for me! Now it's great as I can talk to Mum about it without batting an eyelid, and she's great for pill related advice.
  • Options
    it was my mum who encouraged me to go on the pill in the first place! i talked to her about it and told her what the doctor said and everything about my appointment and she was fine with it (obviously since she wanted me on it!)but i think you should tell your mum - i doubt she'll freak out or anything - she just cares about you.:)
    im on microgynon 30 as well and it seems to be working pretty well so far...only went on it a few months ago but ive not put on any weight or anything - in fact i seem to be losing it:confused: actually is that possible? oh i dont know...
    good luck:D