Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interviews - Aargh!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey everyone,

I've just got a letter from Cambridge who I applied to this year, saying they want me for interview on 11th.

I'm really beginning to panic - I feel inferior to all the other cambridge applicants who seem to know EVERYTHING and have A*s in 20 GCSEs and another 6 A Levels...

I know NOTHING about current affairs and i feel totally unprepared... anyone else in the same situation???

I feel so stressed about it - how do I calm down so I'm not in a wreck by the time I go up there?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well I never applied to Cambridge but 2 years ago I was called to interview at Warwick. I felt completely inferior also, living in a council flat with a Brummie accent, on jobseekers allowance etc. I actually didn't bother going and didn't even call to tell them I wasn't going. I thought there was no point.

They called me and invited me down again, I thought hey I might as well just go. So I went, was chilled, had a chat with the bloke in the interview, I had to do an exam in the morning and he went over my paper.

They ended up making me an unconditional offer, he he.

ANYWAY. DON'T FEEL INFERIOR. They obviously like what they have seen of you. Don't compare yourself to others. You've done well just to be offered an interview.

What subject have you applied for?

I have read some good reviews about going to Oxbridge interviews on this site..here's a link for you:

http://194.162.232.152/servlets/GuideConnector?template=prd_main&sessionID=eTRF7wkNTi%2d%5f&itemID=52612&action=removeSessionID

sorry about the length of the link but there's some good stuff there.

You have enough time. Make sure you read the quality broadsheets and sunday papers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks PussyKatty :)

I know I shouldn't be so worried but I keep seeing people around me and comparing myself, thinking 'how do I stand a chance if this is my competition?!'

Thanks for the link - useful

I'm applying for modern languages... usually not as hard to get into as something like PPE or Law... I'm just hoping they won't look to much at my academic record or my no. of A Levels and will just go for my enthusiasm - cos I reeeally want to do it!
  • Options
    Hey! I have an interview for Modern languages (French and Italian), at Oxford on the 12th and I feel EXACTLY the same! Like I am TOTALLY shitting myself because I know nothing about anything! I don't know anything about current affairs etc. or anything about the books I've read becasue I've forgotten them all and i'm generally stressed!
    My mind has been on other things following my boyfriend recently breaking up with me and i'm really not ready for this.
    Plus my dad and brother both went to oxford which gives it lots of lovely pressure (although not from them but from myself),a nd i do want to go there, but have no chance.
    Anyway this isn't really helping...but just what i want to say is, you're not the only one feeling that way and the ones who are really smug about being excellent probably aren't, and are less likely to get in if they annoy the professors by being like that!!
    So good luck, you'll be fine, and don't worry. let us know how it goes!! :)
  • Options
    Thanks xapis :)

I ain't stopping panicking but I spose I know I'm not the only one!

Good luck to you too :)
  • Options
    Afterthought - I can let u know evening of the 11th what it was like...
  • Options
    Hey perfect day

I had an interview for Natural Science at Christ's College, Cambridge on Saturday. My best advice would be to try to keep calm about it. Arrive about 20 minutes early and walk round the college grounds for a while, working out where your interview's going to be and stuff - this will really help to steady your nerves and let you get used to the surroundings.

The overwhelming majority of interviewers will just be really nice people - mine certainly were. They're not trying to trick you or catch you out with anything, just want to judge if you can think. Thus it's really important not to try to be someone you're not - they'll pick up on it if you're being fake.

As PussyKatty said, try not to think about comparing yourself to the other applicants. I sat waiting to go into one of my interviews and could hear the applicant before me (public school twat type) having a really good laugh with the tutor. I started to get nervous, thinking I could never do that. When I got in there though, I found myself having an involved conversation in exactly the same way. Don't think about the other applicants.

Anyway, best of luck - I'm sure you'll do fine!

Which college and subject are you applying for?
  • Options
    A couple of useful links for you:

prepare well

the interview

body language

Good Luck

Susie :)
  • Options
    heh, my last post was a bit gabbled wasn't it!!

What languages have you actually applied for? I don't know anyone else who has applied for languages and I don't really know what sort of thing they're going to ask.

It's all very daunting at the moment!

Anyway...I'm going up on the 11th so I probably won't get to hear how it was before I leave! Anyway, good luck again, it really will be fine...don't panic TOO much!
  • Options
    I've applied for Spanish & Italian (don't do Italian yet)

...am calming slightly, thanks for everyone's reassurance :)
  • Options
    almost the same as me then :) ...I don't do Italian properly yet either, although I am having some lessons now because they don't mean it when they say you can be a "beginner", at Oxford anyway!!
  • Options
    does that mean you guys will be competing for a place?

my goddddd.... :nervous:

but... bet you both get in :D

good luck :)
  • Options
    Nah....different university and different colleges anyway. But I hope you're right about the getting in bit!! :-)
  • Options
    I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, i can't believe it, i've been running round the house screaming...

*ahem* anyway just to say thank u so much to all u lot who gave me tips for the interview and also - xapis and you others, have u heard??? hope u were successful :)

xx
  • Options
    hiya, WELL DONE!!!

I didn't get in....

I'm not that bothered anymore though, just have to decide between UCL and Durham. Funnily enough I'm still in contact with most of the people I met and out of about 11 of them, only 2 got in!! Even the most likely, so it's weird, but I wasn't expecting to get in and I didn't, so it's okay!!

:)

I'm really pleased for you!!
  • Options
    Definitely choose Durham over UCL. Much cheaper to live in Durham than anywhere else. OK, the nightlife may not be amazing but it's a uni that's very good at getting its students drunk!

I'm at Durham so perhaps

Which college/society did you apply to?
  • Options
    yeah I think I'm probably going to because I'm not keen on the idea of living in London anyway. So you live in Exeter....so it's about the same distance for you as me, becasue one drawback is so far away...do you find that a problem?
    I guess there's always something to do and is it easy to go to other cities..Newcastle?
    I have so many questions and things i need to work out! argh! I'm going up to Durham on the 15th to suss it all out!

I've got a place at Trevelyan. BBB offer. Where are you?
  • Options
    I'm at St Cuthbert's Society on the bailey.

It isn't a massive problem being so far away. Trains are pretty good, you just need to make sure that you can either drive yourself up or have kindly parents or brothers/sisters who will drive you and your stuff up and back at the beginning and end of each term. Remember, at a Hill college (and some Bailey properties) you will have to move out during each holiday).

It's very easy to get to Newcastle. You can go on the train about every 30 mins, and they NEVER check to see if you have a ticket so it doesn't cost anything either ;)

When you come up on the 15th, if you are staying in Trev's accomodation, make sure you try the food to make sure you'll be happy eating that 3 times a day. Have a look at the Junior Common Room calendar and see if they have a lot of events going on, too. From what I remember of Trev's the bar is OK (Hexagonal for some reason) and the accomodation is pretty good. If you're going to bring a computer with you, check to see how hard it is to get a computer with networking installed in your room.

Other than that, check out the bars whereever you can, and also check out the Union!
  • Options
    Just noticed you're doing MFL. You may want to ask about transferring to a Bailey college such as Cuth's or Chad's. The Hill colleges are a bit of a distance from Elvet Riverside where you'll have lectures and seminars, so it's something to bear in mind.
  • Options
    do you really think so? I had decided it wouldn't be a huge problem...how many minutes walk do you reckon? Oh well I'll just have to use that as my getting fit motivation!!!
    I quite liked the look of the college so I'm not sure about trying to transfer.
    I'm definitely going to try and suss out all the sorts of things you mentioned, thanks a lot for the help and advice!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by xapis
    do you really think so? I had decided it wouldn't be a huge problem...how many minutes walk do you reckon? Oh well I'll just have to use that as my getting fit motivation!!!
    I quite liked the look of the college so I'm not sure about trying to transfer.
    I'm definitely going to try and suss out all the sorts of things you mentioned, thanks a lot for the help and advice!!
    Don't swap colleges, it will only take a maximum of ten minutes to walk to your lectures, so please don't worry about it! Plus, if you have chosen a college and have been accepted there they won't look kindly on you changing your mind before you even achieve your needed grades!

I was in a college on the Bailey and I hated it, I would much have prefered to have been in the lovely modern hill colleges. Stick to the choice you've made, Durham experience will be much better. Ask BumbleBee, I'm going to email her now and point her in the direction of this thread! (She's at Durham and lives locally)
  • Options
    Taking on board everyone's comments, make sure you check everything out for yourself.

Judging from this year they don't actually care which college you end up in and don't mind people changing (even half way through the first term or the second term).

It isn't anything to stress about though. You got a place at Durham and that is something to be proud of - it's not easy to get in.

:D
  • Options
    Congratulations to perfect day and any others with offers from Cambridge.
    Vox populi, have you managed to get an offer for natsci? (I'm currently in my first year of the course.)
  • Options
    hehe, thanks guys :)

I'll make sure I have a good look around everything when I come up and see how I feel. If I don't like the place I could always go to Manchester, which I know I love!
  • Options
    Originally posted by elmo20uk
    You got a place at Durham and that is something to be proud of - it's not easy to get in.
    Isn't it? I got in, and I didn't get very high grades, and I'm a poor northerner....ahh, I see now why I got in! LOL.

Anyway, I wouldn't advise you to chage colleges, the hill colleges are way cooler (take this from a Hatfield (*spits*) student - its on the bailey!) I so wish I had been on the hill. Sniffffff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by firstfoot

Vox populi, have you managed to get an offer for natsci? (I'm currently in my first year of the course.)

Yup, I got an AAA offer from Christ's.

Which college are you at, firstfoot?
  • Options
    Vox populi,

I am at Trinity. Are a physical or biological natsci?
  • Options
    are you*
  • Options
    Physical. Yourself?
  • Options
    I'm taking Physics, Chemistry and Cells (+ Maths of course), so I'm mainly physical. Do you know which options you'd like to take in your 1st year?
  • Options
    Congrats Vox populi :) that's an amazing offer!

xapis choose Durham - it's so much nicer! i'm going up on 15th too, i think it's going to be my back-up.