Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Top-up Fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bearing in mind that age group of users on this site, and the community of students we have here, I'm surprised that this topic hasn't come up before.

Seeing as none of our resident tax dodgers have posted, I figured that I would.

The Govt are looking at the possibility of introducing top-up fees to help pay for further education. Currently there is massive underfunding in this area and the Govt suggest that the students should pay for this themselves. Estimates are that the annual cost to students will be between £1k-£10K depending on the University involved.

The Govt defend this by suggesting that the average benefit to students of this additional education is £400k in their lifetime, and that they [the tax dodgers] should consider this an investment in their future and they ask why tax payers should fund this for them.

Which is understandable.

But is it right?

Personally I think that the Tories are missing a major argument against - possibly because deep down they support the Govt on this issue - mainly that if the students do benefit by this amount then the additional tax they pay will more than compensate the Govt's investment. Potentially this would be approx £100k, more than the cost of the education that the person recieved.

Comments

• Options
    I think its a shocking idea.

Since I live in Scotland I only had to pay fees in first year before they were scrapped (although we still have to apply to have them paid for us by SAAS which I don't really understand)

I think it would be awful for students if it happens tho. As it is at the moment, the average student is something ridiculous like £10,000 in debt when they finish uni. If they top up the fees this would be even higher (obviously). When you leave uni you're meant to be starting your life - being bogged down in debt isn't exactly a good start! Everyone will jsut be indebt for ever, especially if house prices remain high (don't even get me started on that!!! :mad:

I just don't see how they can justify it.
    This Labour government claim to want 50% of the population to be university educated but they aren't exactly going the right way about it.

Anyway, rant over.

Sorry! :blush:
  • Options
    I think that it is completely wrong to put such a high price on further education. Instead of improving university by allowing those who are most able to attend - no matter what their background. Instead only those of a richer backgroud will be able to afford to study.

I'm sure this cannot benifit the British education in the long run. Students leave university with large loans anyway - this will only make it worse. This will impact on our economy as well so I don't see how there is really any benifit to placing such high top up fees
  • Options
    Tuition and fee caps are always a contentious issue for students here in Canada. But it's the same age-old debate it's always been, isn't it? Should students(or their families) pay for their own education or should the public, who in theory will all benefit from a more educated population, help to foot the bill? If I had things my way, we'd all to school for 'free', all the way through post-secondary. Kind of because I think of it in the same terms as the 'school uniforms' issue: when everyone is on equal footing, there's no discrimination (in theory) by class.
    On the other hand, I keep thinking about the thread on lowering the age cap for kids to leave school so that they can happily skip off to a job in the trades. Let me clear up the vagueness of this connection. The 'under-achievers' mentioned in that thread are often classified as such because the western schooling system is by and large based on the ideals of the intellectual/economical elite. Therefore, publicly financed schooling in and of itself would not clear up the problems that under-privilaged students face in struggling their way through school. So how do we rectify that problem??:chin:
  • Options
    It's issues like this that make me feel very ambivelant about my possesion of a membership card. This is the sort of proposal you'd expect from the Tory party, and I can't believe so many Labour ministers are actively considering it (although to be fair, there are high profile exceptions - Estelle Morris, Clare Short and various others).

Top up fees completely goes against every "widening participation" initiative that has been set up - even if under the proposals poorer students would receive grants or bursaries, many would still get put off, just like lots now get scared over the issue of student loans and debt (even though you don't have to pay anything back until you've earnt a decent amount). I tell you, if I was in the country, I'd certainly be joining the anti top up fees march in London, that's for sure. Personally, if we have to pay fees, I'd rather do it in the form of a graduate tax. (Although there'd then be the problem of what happens until the 'graduate tax' students graduate, but it's a sticky question, and I don't want to get into it because I simply don't know).

You also hear cries against the average tax payer footing the bill for students, "why should the dustman pay for the medic/soliciter, who's going to earn lots in the future anyway?". Well the answer is because everybody at some point in their lives NEED doctors, solicitors and other such professionals, and would be a bit buggered in the future if they can't get one because fewer people can afford to go to uni.

Ggrrrrr :mad:
  • Options
    The problem with top-up fees as opposed to regular tuition fees, is that it is a way to discriminate between different courses and different universities. So even though people can argue that it is discouraging students from poorer backgrounds to go to uni, they at least still have as much incentive to aim for a place studying engineering at Cambridge as some crappy, made-up course at an underfunded, dumbed-down former poly. However, if it is more expensive to do one than the other, it's just going to stop poorer students from applying for courses which would result in higher salaries and all of the government's plans to break the cycle of poverty through increased access to higher education would backfire.
  • Options
    a decent amount? are you kidding? they lowered the amount at which you have to start paying back your loans from £15,000 - a fair amount you might say - to £10,000!

you can almost get tha from working at maccy d's full time....

if you earn an extra £400k through your lifetime, then in taxes, NI, etc etc you will put far more in than you willl ever take out. period. therefore top up fees take the piss, literally.

i'm just worried they'll go with the graduate tax, and i'll end up paying that and my loan back.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by nosferatu1000
    i'm just worried they'll go with the graduate tax, and i'll end up paying that and my loan back.....

No you won't, as you'll have gone through the system paying (or getting paid for you) tuition fees. I think the tax will only affect students who have just started as it's being implemented
  • Options
    At my uni people are up in arms about this at the moment and it's very difficult to hoold a contradictory point of view. I'm not entirely sure what the answer is: I just know that the student unions are against it for principally selfish reasons, and the pressure put on you to agree with them is very heavy. It's assumed we all agree already and we aren't given both sides of the story by, for instance, the student press, the college unions, or the uni-wide groups.
    One thing that's certainly true: the current situation is unsustainable. Top lecturers are leaving for the states where they're better paid; less and less research is undertaken; facillities are literally falling to bits in some places. Something needs to happen to redress the financial balance.
    The one great myth the NUS perpetrates is that we'll all be paying 10 grand a year. That's bollocks. The shortfall's such that on average we'd pay around 3000. I am lucky, and with parental assistance, I could afford that, just about; why shouldn't I pay for it if I can?
    Then there's the idea that it will put students from low income backgrounds off studying. If a proper means-tested system is put into place - ie a better one than that which is used for tuition - then it wouldn't have to mean anyone couldn't go to university.
    Also, I agree that we need graduates - but many of them will head straight to merrill lynch or some other incredibly highpaying job and not fulfil any essential function. Does seem a little unfair for those who've gone straight into a low paying prospectless job to subsidise them.
    Still, I don't think topup fees are ideal. they'll cause a lot of resentment; they'll certainly be bad for access because even if they actually could, people will assume they won't be able to afford a degree; as someone said, they'll differentiate between top academic institutions and others, which will put people applying to oxbridge/other top unis; they'll charge people at the point in their lives when they can least afford it.
    That's why I think a graduate tax is the best idea. Not kicking in until a certain wage, subsidised for low paying but essential jobs, incremental according to how much you earn. The fairest way. But the difficulty is how you fund it until current grads are earning enough; my suggestion would be to 'borrow' froim general taxation, but I don't know how (or if) that would work economically. Does anyone? and what should we do in the meantime if not?
  • Options
    A little off the topic of top-up fees, but what do guys think about tuition fees that work on a sliding scale based on a student's/family's income? I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented somewhere yet. Well, maybe it has. I'm not THAT up on my politics. I suppose the richy-riches would be upset that they're being asked to "pay for being affluent". I dunno. Would it be fair? What do you think?
  • Options
    that sounds prety much what the basic topup concept is. but I am a bit wasted. the girk I adore is 750 iles away;. how nuch does that suck? anyway. going to bed. nihgt.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ya, that's a good point Sharp Teeth. But what if this hypothetical scale took the # of students in one household into account? For example, the loan-meisters in Canada doll out more depending on how many other siblings your folks are paying for: to some extent anyway.
  • Options
    I think it's all a load of crap.
    All that will happen is only the rich can afford to be educated and we'll end up like the states with unis becoming little more than corporations driven by profit like any other buisness, instead of the public institutions they should remain as.
    I don't understand why the government needs to implement this idea. The current system works well, as did the previous one.
    They fail to appreciate a fairly important concept, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

But then, this government is full of tossers that dont actually give a shit about reality and its inhabitants
  • Options
    Speaking of which, what exactly happened a few years back with the whole tuition thing in England? I remember in my more youthful days, us Canuks were always jealous because as we understood it, post-secondary was taken care of like secondary (high school? do you guys ever call it that?). And then about four years ago, I heard that all of this changed, and that it's only recently you've had to pay for it out of the pocket. That would suck. If that's the case, it must kinda feel like taking a step backward. I wish school was more institutionalized here. Not in the imperialistic sense, but I mean as opposed to the "designer corporate education" as you eluded to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

They fail to appreciate a fairly important concept, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of top-up fees (or even tuition fees in the first place :mad: ) but the universities in this country are breaking. They're chronically underfunded and are thus losing academics en masse to higher paid jobs in the US, and in some cases can no longer afford to fund key research. The government needs to do something to turn this around. Unfortunately, they're so mentally challenged that they think top-up fees is the way to go about it.

I'd personally favour a graduate tax; it's me that benefits from my university education, not my parents, so if anyone's going to be made to pay, it should be me. Unfortunately I'm not earning anything at the moment, because I haven't got a degree and am still at college. Thus logically the thing to do would be to charge me for my education when I can pay for it; ie when I have a job.

I suppose part of it is selfishness (as this issue directly effects me) but nothing the Labour government has done so far has angered me more than if they go ahead with this. Hopefully Blair will see that it would alienate a huge proportion of the traditional left-wing he still relies upon. Already 110 delegates at the Labour Policy Committee have supported a motion to make it a manifesto promise never to introduce top-up fees. Blair will have to listen at some point.
  • Options
    It should be paid for by an increase in income tax at the top end (ie the one where the graduates will be) I see no reason why only a) our generation, and b) those who earn a lot but didn't get a degree shouldn't pay for the education of graduates..........