Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Microsoft Works -vs- Microsoft Word

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any way of changing a works document to a word one? I've tried cutting and pasting etc but its coming out as rubbish like:

oooooo[][][][][][][]
'###][==-=[]]'[

.......etc
Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Options
    I dont think so.

I have word and sister has works, shes cleverer than me and she cant change it :)

Not totally sure like, there might be some cleverer people than my sis out there who can help:D
  • Options
    ummm. try copying it into notepad, and then onto word :)
  • Options
    choose save as, then a drop down box...save as type (microsoft word *.doc)

should work
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

should work

Nope, doesn't work. It says "converting" and starts to copy it over. Then its stops and says it cant do it.
    Damn :(
    I tried the notepad idea to but that didnt work.
    When i open it in works now i cant even read it, its all that rubbish writing: []oo----@~~[]{}{000 blah blah blah
    Have i ruined it? What ya reckon? :confused:
  • Options
    It depends upon which version of Works you have, and if it'll have the option to save it as a Word document. Try going File > Save As... Then chosing the .doc Word extension from the drop down menu by the box where you type the document name. I that clear enough?
    Alternatively see if the version of Word you want to read the document in has the option to import a Works document. Again, try File > Import... on the menu bar at the top of the screen.
    It really just depends upon which versions of the software you have. If you try to import the Works document in to Word, and the option doesn't seem to be there, then you may be able to install the option from the MS Office disk. Again, this just depends upon the versions of the programs you have.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

should work

:yes: That works on my version. I hate works though...have to use it at work and it really annoys me. :mad:
  • Options
    I don't mind Works. I think it's great for when you don't need all the bells and whistles of Office. It's database program is quicker and easier to use than MS Access, though not as flexible. Works is great for a basic home user who just needs to do basic word processing, basic database, and simple spreadsheets (home finances for example). However, Office is the standard nowadays, and Works just doesn't feel right once you've been using Office for a while.

Mr_Wobble ;)