Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Protecting individuals or an attack on freedom of speech?

News in that an advertisement poking fun at GW Bush and David Beckham (universally acknowledged as not the sharpest knives in the drawer) has been banned.

Full report

So is this the right move or just a blatant political move to silence critics of the leader of the free world? Judging by the description of the advert it didn't seem particularly offensive. I think everyone has seen endless pieces on TV taking the piss out of both Bush and Beckham in a much worse way. Surely not the hand of political interference at work?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand banning the Beckham one, he is just a footballer, but Bush is powerful politician and all politicians should be in the line for any kind of commentary on them.........

Having said that its only an advert, not really important..........
  • Options
    Just read the report.

:lol:

shouldn't have been banned.
    either of them.
  • Options
    I'm surprised we haven't already seen the footage of him mistaking a toaster for VCR. I mean, we've seen him choking on a pretzel, forgetting the lenscaps, hiding in bushes (in the paper) and various other things.
    Not to mention his chimp impressions. The entire world knows he is an idiot, I dont understand why the ad has been banned.
  • Options
    Its ridiculous.
    Whats the harm in a bit of satirical humour.
    The news isnt the happiest thing at the moment, its good to throw humour in the way of adversity.

That wouldnt change anyones mind would it lol people who already dislike Bush wont dislike him anymore.
    People who like Bush wont suddenly think oh my he's a moron.

The fact is that this has got more viewings than it ever would of if they had just let it go in the first place.
  • Options
    :lol::lol: Funny stuff.

On the other hand, I see the point they're making in the report, that as an ad, it can be construed as negative propaganda. Suddenly, rather than expressing an idea, as they do on the show, now they're "selling" an idea, a concept that capitalist america has always been rather neurotic about. Ad space clearly sends a message to the viewer that you want them on board with your idea.

That being said, I don't believe in censorship. Especially since in this day and age it's practically a moot point. In today's 'cyberculture', trying to ban anything just makes the banner look more ridiculous than anyone putting a video in a toaster. ;)