Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

World politics: Friend or not, just like in school.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really appreciated this discussion - so many valid points made. But, don't kill me, I think I still make a valid point: friend or foe it's easy to know.

Like the Queen said: "We are the same people." Sometimes I wonder if that's the point.
  • Options
    I think that very point was disspelled straightoff pnj. Even our "friendship" can't be counted on if our "friends" don't do everything we demand, the way we want it done. Its all expedience, rhetoric and hypocrisy in the modern global political arena and allegiances change overnight in all too many cases.
  • Options
    The thing is, it's not just a case of 'friend or foe, no in between.' Indeed, that attitude is the one one would expect to find in a children's playground. Experience with the real world leads to the realization that there are others with whom one may agree on many things or few things, but the total agreement or disagreement is unlikely. Even the 'special relationship' of the USA and UK has its disagreements, usually over certain trade goods.
  • Options
    I think the UK plays a parental role with America sometimes. I swear sometimes it's like when I'm ranting and my folks quitely say, now John, you know you aren't really going to go over and punch that person because you are better than that.... Sometimes I see the UK like that.

France can be that way too but there's another step. First it's, what the hell is France saying now. Well, we're not doing that. Oh, they're saying that. O.K. lead on France. We're not saying we're with you yet but just keep talking. Oh, alright.

Same parental thing but things do get lost in the translation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I think the UK plays a parental role with America sometimes.
    Yeah, like Jocasta and Oedipus :rolleyes: