Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hunting, testing etc.etc.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that there have been loads of threads on this kind of stuff before & I've looked at some of the old threads, but I've got to do a project at school on hunting, animal testing etc.etc. So what do you think about it all guys?

Luv Al x :flirt:

Comments

• Options
    My views on animal testing: if it is to help with saving or improving human life then it is ok. I don't like the idea of cosmetics being tested as they are a luxury good for people and shouldn't cost animals their lives. But for testing medicines I agree that it is good. Medicine would be a long way behind where it is now if it weren't for animal testing. And you wouldn't want to try out new drugs on humans before it has been tested on animals as to find out that a drug is highly toxic or makes some one worse not better when testing it on humans for the first time would not be good. My Mum had breast cancer a few years ago but is fine now thanks to the wonders of modern medicines. So yeah a few lab rats might have died in the process of the drug development but it was worth it. I'm actually a vegetarian too if that influences what you think of my opinion.
  • Options
    Basically the same as what's been said: I'm for animal testing if it will somehow benefit us, through treatment of disease etc., but I'm against testing of luxuary goods.

As for hunting, It doesn't bother me if the animal will be used for food or whatever, especially the Native American way, where no part of the animal will be wasted.

Fox hunting is just plain wrong though.
  • Options
    I agree with everything that's been said so far; testing on animals should be limited to medical research not cosmetics. As for fox hunting, while the supporters say that it's quite humane and the fox doesn't suffer, I suspect that none of them have ever been torn apart by a pack of dogs, so they wouldn't know...
  • Options
    But testing medicine on animals doesn't always work. If the scientist bods went with that alone, we'd never have had penicillin because it causes birth defects in pregnant rodents.
    Also, what about the psychological testing? Should Pavolv have been allowed to do those things to his dogs?
  • Options
    I can't really argue against using animals if their are important benefits for humans but needless cruelty such as cosmetics teasting ought to be illegal..........
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Both my mother and sis are keen horse riders and have been on a few hunts in the last year, I don't really see it as an isue to get worked up over, it's a fox for fucks sake!

Saying that I don't particulary like the idea of any sort of hunting with dogs, it is cruel, and I can't really see the point of it. It's not like fishing or shooting which is more humane, and more often than not the quarry is eaten instead of wasted.

What worries me is that shooting and fishing will be next on the list if these anti hunt protestes get their way.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So fox hunting is fine as long as there's no cruelty to the dogs? So the cruelty to the fox is neither here nor there?

:confused:
  • Options
    Skive would it be OK if I came round your way and beat and butchered a dog to death in front of you?

Its only a dog!

Or I could shoot its limbs off one by one!

Why not!
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyRed
    So fox hunting is fine as long as there's no cruelty to the dogs? So the cruelty to the fox is neither here nor there?

:confused:

That's not what I meant!

I don't like the idea of hunting with dogs whether the quarry is a fox, dear, hare etc ...but then again I don't find it an issue to get really worked up over.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Skive would it be OK if I came round your way and beat and butchered a dog to death in front of you?

Its only a dog!

eh ...I never said fox hunting was OK

Or I could shoot its limbs off one by one!

You'd have to be good shot!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    OK but if somehing is wrong then surely it is worth some kind of effort.......

Why would it be OK to shoot a fox?
  • Options
    OK but if somehing is wrong then surely it is worth some kind of effort.......

I'd vote to ban it!

I do not however see the point, in trying to interfere with hunts and breaking other laws like so many anti hunt people do. A couple of years ago I remember something like 7 hounds were killed locally by someone poisoning their food. Does that make sense!

Though I'm not denying that it should be stopped ...there are certainly more important issues!

Why would it be OK to shoot a fox?

In many cases there will be need to keep the fox population down. Fox hunting is the best method for sorting out healthy from sick, weak from strong etc.. but I don't believe it's humane enough.

Shooting is!

Do you believe that pheasnt/duck/pigeon shooting should be banned? How about fishing?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

In many cases there will be need to keep the fox population down.

Recent scientific research has suggested that fox hunting has little impact on controlling the fox population. During the hunting ban due to the foot and mouth outbreaks there was no significant increase in fox population.

Besides, in some cases it has been shown that land-owners encourage foxes to breed (leaving animal carcasses out for them to feed on etc) in order to increase the numbers available for hunting. Hardly controlling the fox population. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm not sure if those serve any useful purpose, do they?

I agree with you on some of the methods used by the anti0hunt brigade and I also agree that there are far more important issues.........
  • Options
    I'm not sure if those serve any useful purpose, do they?

For people who want to eat them they do? Shooting birds is certainly more humane than farming them.

I don't have a problem with people who like killing things, especially if it's gonna be eaten. I can see why people enjoy hunting. I do have a problem if the killing is unnecessarily cruel.

Originally posted by Vox
    Besides, in some cases it has been shown that land-owners encourage foxes to breed

Not on estates where they breed birds!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I didn't think that these things had anything to do with eating the results, I thought they bred the pheasants etc. to be deliberately used for shooting?
  • Options
    I didn't think that these things had anything to do with eating the results, I thought they bred the pheasants etc. to be deliberately used for shooting?

They do breed them for shooting, but that doesn't mean that they're gonna be wasted. They have a better life than the turkey you're gonna eat for crimbo.

At the end of the day the people who look after the countryside do know what they're doing. I think fox huntinggoes over the top but other than that people should leave the countryside to people who live there ...they're the ones who know what they're doing, and in my experience they'll do anything to protect it! Trust them!!!!!!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Motivation

Hi all,
    I think fox hunting is basically an indulgent hobby. It provides the (human) participants with some exitement and yes I will say it; a sense of power. So this is why it's done really isn't it - I mean the only reason alternative motives like 'population control' etc. were invented was because the real reason dosn't hold ground! It's bound to be quite fun really, galloping on the back of a horse chasing a fox down but really deep down it's selfish and immoral.

greenfields.
  • Options
    personally i dont have any problem with fox hunting at all. Live and let live, its not worth getting upset over.

Animal testing yeah im echoing whats already being said about testing for medical research.

The reason why people go fox hunting is because they enjoy it, they enjoy the social aspects, they enjoy the chase and the riding. Simply enjoyment. How is it different to anyone else doing an activity for enjoyment as it doesnt affect any person directly.

Well farmers let the hunters go on their land to hunt. Its a combination of pest control and population control.

Ok i might be being a bit picky and this sounds bad i guess but the word humane is a derivitive from the word human. Human not animal. Should we treat animals the same as humans. Do we count as a predator? of course, is it any different from any other predators? i dont think it is. We hunt in different ways to most predators but thats how we have evolved, predators use their best skills to hunt and kill.

Ok maybe the fact that we are only doing it for enjoyment is how we differ from animal predators because they do it for survival. Can we say enjoyment is a part of survival too? i would say yes of course it is.

Any person who eats meat can't be against fox hunting.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, information coming out of Scotland (where hunting is "banned") suggests that there are now more foxes being killed than would have been done under the old hunting-with-dogs regime. Mainly through shooting.

Sounds like better control to me.

As for testing on animals, its an interesting moral question. If we test a product on a rat, we find out what effects it has on a rat. If we presume that it would have similar effects on a human, then we are suggesting that rodents are physically and emotionaly similar to humans, which brings up a separate issue. If we aren't prepared to test on humans, why test on other similar animals?

Personally though, I can understand why we look at using animals to test drugs, but its worth noting that before we use any drugs we do a final test on humans anyway...
  • Options
    thalidomide didnt cause any problems in any of the animals it was tested on, but when given to humans, caused enormous birth defects. Therefore even medical testing on animals isnt reliable. Im not against medical animal testing though as it has helped improve a lot of things, but we shouldnt overestimate its usefullness.
  • Options
    Skeeter, what if I enjoy killing cats by rubbing them up and down a giant cheese grater in public, is that OK?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    thalidomide didnt cause any problems in any of the animals it was tested on

Wasn't it the case with thalidomide that it wasn't tested on animals? It was after the thalidomide case that laws were introduced making it compulsory for all new medication to be tested on at least two different types of animal.
  • Options
    really? I was under the impression that it had been tested on rats, but had been fine.
  • Options
    Skeeter, what if I enjoy killing cats by rubbing them up and down a giant cheese grater in public, is that OK?

No need to make yourself look even more foolish with ridiculous statements like that. Its just petty, come up with reasoned points which require more than 2 minutes of thought then i might take you seriously.

Answer to your question. Nope not ok there are rules about cruelty to domestic animals kept as pets.

You missed my point completely. Farmers let hunts on their land as a pest control or population control. It also keeps the fox population strong.

The people who go on the hunts do it because they enjoy themselves not because they care about the fox population or pest control.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skeeter Thompson

The people who go on the hunts do it because they enjoy themselves not because they care about the fox population or pest control.

same as any person who tortures and kills any creature, human or animal, do it because they enjoy themselves and because they think personal enjoyment is the most important thing in the world, even if it causes suffering - in fact the sufferingof others is what they enjoy
  • Options
    Live and let live

Like the hunters do?
  • Options
    How is it different to anyone else doing an activity for enjoyment as it doesnt affect any person directly.

-

Any person who eats meat can't be against fox hunting.

How is it different? The answer to that is so blatantly obvious I can't actually believe you asked the question. But as you did, I'll answer it. "Activity" covers such a broad range of actions I don't really know where to start...However I'll assume that you mean sporting or leisure activity. Well, most sports are creative like skating or football - however these can divided into competitive and non-competitive. The participants learn new skills and either try to beat their opponents or better themselves. Now in a hunt, the eventual goal isn't to beat your opponent or yourself - it's to kill an animal. The actual goal, is to take a life and the most ridiculous factor is that dogs do the killing...a real 'hunt' would be to climb off your expensive horse take off all that ridiculous apparel and try and kill the fox with your bare hands; at least that would require some skill and some guts. I'll say it again, hunting is an indulgent hobby which provides the participants with a small power trip.

I eat meat, so fuck off. :p:D

greenfields.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

same as any person who tortures and kills any creature, human or animal, do it because they enjoy themselves and because they think personal enjoyment is the most important thing in the world, even if it causes suffering - in fact the sufferingof others is what they enjoy

Ok i understand this but where do children come into this discussion? The fact of the matter is that hunting in England is legal. Torturing, killing children is illegal.

The fox is not tortured, it is killed very very quickly with minimal pain and sufferring. Much better than shooting it and having it limp away injured and then dying over a few days. Or if a weak fox is chased and killed, thats a better way than letting it freeze and starve because it is a weak fox to begin with. And that does happen a lot especially in winter.

How is it different? The answer to that is so blatantly obvious I can't actually believe you asked the question. But as you did, I'll answer it. "Activity" covers such a broad range of actions I don't really know where to start...However I'll assume that you mean sporting or leisure activity. Well, most sports are creative like skating or football - however these can divided into competitive and non-competitive. The participants learn new skills and either try to beat their opponents or better themselves. Now in a hunt, the eventual goal isn't to beat your opponent or yourself - it's to kill an animal. The actual goal, is to take a life and the most ridiculous factor is that dogs do the killing...a real 'hunt' would be to climb off your expensive horse take off all that ridiculous apparel and try and kill the fox with your bare hands; at least that would require some skill and some guts. I'll say it again, hunting is an indulgent hobby which provides the participants with a small power trip.

You dont understand why people go on these hunts do you.
    Its not primarily to kill and animal.
    They enjoy the chase, the ride and the social aspect of a hunt as ive already said.

Also im sure riding a horse is creative and you have to learn new skills to become a better rider.

By hunting they are actually making the fox population stronger as a species. Its usually weak foxes that are killed because a lot of hunts they dont actually catch a fox. Weak foxes that would of died in winter due to starvation over a long period of sufferring.

I think what all this boils down to is people have a problem because it is seen as a upper class activity ("climb off that expensive horse"). This is wrong anyway but most people are too ignorant to go to a hunt and find out. A wide range of classes participate on hunts.

Live and let live, that is a saying. I shouldnt even give that a response but i have.

Im going to explain why meat eaters can't be against fox hunting.

People hunt because they enjoy it. I think we all agree on that.
    We eat meat because we enjoy it. Animals are killed so we can enjoy eating them in our favourite meals. If you have a problem with fox hunting but you eat meat, you are a huge hypocrit.
    We dont need to eat meat anymore, we have the vitamin and minerals tablets that would supply us with our suggested intake.
    Hardly anyone eats meat because of its nutritional content. We eat because we enjoy. This meat we eat is kept in awful conditions most of the time, but most of us eat it and turn a blind eye because it tastes nice. But when a set of upper class people dare to enjoy an activity that they enjoy, which makes fox populations stronger but are killing a cute little fox then everyone is in uproar.
  • Options
    Have any of you been to a Bullfight? :yuck: (:crying: )

I agree with fox hunting with dogs, but I'll explain tomorrow...

I'm off to bed, Night