Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

PC & MAC Voice chat ???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there clever people ...
I live in Ireland & My friend is in london, In order to avoid having my knees broken by the phone company due to high call charges between us I would like to be able to voice chat on the web.
The problem is she has a Imac & I have a PC. I have tried PALTALK but they are not compatible with mac. So my question is ...
Can anyone tell me of a voice chat website that a PC & a Mac can voice chat to each other ?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can hold voice conversations over MSN can't you? Well provided you both have a hotmail account.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The main problem here would be your network protocols, the internet works on TCP/IP which is standard amongst pcs and your friend is using a mac which runs on the AppleTalk protocol.

I'm not sure about what the Mac system terminology is but in pc machines when we have different network protocols used (ie. NetBios or IPX/SPX) and we need to communicate with the outside internet we use almost a router machine forming a NAT (Network Address Translation) link which converts whatever Protocol to TCP/IP and back again without loosing the data link. IMacs will use a similar system I'm sure, however as I'm not an IMac user I'm not familiar with it, check the help section in OS X for internet usage and that should give you some pointers.

MSN would probably be the way to go, however I don't think Mac MSN supports conference connections yet and you need to have OS X or greater... Plus for affective video chatting you'd probably both need to be on ASDL and not 56k cause it would make things too bitty and broken.

More information on OS X MSN: http://messenger.microsoft.com/download/download.asp?client=2