Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Permanent or temporary? / Stay or go?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a permanent job which is making me absolutely miserable. I don't get on with my new boss so things have got worse recently. Because it's in a small company, there's no chance of promotion within the specific department I want to work in. And bizarrly, the longer I stay where I am, the less chance I have of being able to move on.
At most of the interviews I've been to, I've been told that I'm over-qualified for the position, but I don't have the experience for the next position. Nor will I get that experience if I stick with the job I've got.
I've been offered a temp position with another firm. The reason it's temporary is that they're only allowed a certain number of permanent people on the pay roll.
Now, if I take this position, I give up paid sick days, paid holidays etc. But I gain a better job, and better chances of finding an even better job.
However, is it worth the risk?
The money btw is pretty much the same.
Opinions please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say that this depends on your own personal situation. For example if you are young and still live with your parents so aren't gonna end up homeless if it all goes wrong then I'd probably take the temporary job. But if you have children that are dependant on your income and a really high rent that needs paying then I'd be cautious about this. From the sounds of it the new job should open up more doors to you so hopefully you'll end up doing what you really want to. You don't sound happy in your current job though so its good that your looking for a change. Good luck with whichever you decide!
    Well, I don't have children or live with my parents but the rent is pretty high.
    Thanks randomgirl, I'm still in a quandry as to what to do tho :confused:
    Have you made your mind up yet? What did you decide to do?
    I am a temp and to be honest at this time of the year it sucks, as you said you dont get paid at xmas.

What you have to look at is how much time you already take off sick and for holidays etc.

Hope it works out kinkeeeeeeeeeee !

;)
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    I am a temp and to be honest at this time of the year it sucks, as you said you dont get paid at xmas.

What you have to look at is how much time you already take off sick and for holidays etc.

;)

Indeed....it's gonna be hell...why can't they take me on perm now, instead of leaving it til Feb :mad:
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES

;)
    My contract is temporary (for 6 months but its been extended) and I'm not supposed to get paid holiday (according to my contract) but when I went on holiday I did get paid for it. I, being far too honest for my own good, went to my boss who is the director of the company to point out the mistake and he said it wasn't a mistake and that he'd changed his mind! (There have to be advantages of having the boss fancy you). But apparently if you work for the same company for a certain length of time you are legally entitled to paid holiday. I think it's 15 weeks you have to have been there. But this is just what one of my collegues said, it's not necessarily true. But anyway, if you take unpaid leave into account and budget for some days off then this needn't a reason not to take a job.