Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bloody stupid government

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    £110,000 is simply not a lot of money.
    Maybe to working class people it is.
    He is the head of the government that runs the country.
    Heads of multinational companies earn £800,000+ a year and probably work a whole let less.

Did i say anything about sitting there and saying "i work 4x harder"? where do these little suggestive questions come from?

The sooner we stop comparing the firemans wage and the government's wage the better. They do completely different jobs.

Oh and about being noble because they take less than what they entitled to lol where did anyone say that? but if people are going to say things about the governments wages and how much they have give themselves then they need to get their facts a bit closer to the truth.

At the start of these disputes i thought 'yeah they deserve a pay increase' but when i thought about it i thought ok not 40% (i know that was a negotiating tool) and not striking.

Im now edging towards no pay increase for them. There are much better causes that i would give pay increases too before even considering the fire service.
  • Options
    I don't care if you said it or not, surely the only reason an MP should be paid 4X as much is if they work 4X harder, surely?

The main reason the firefighters are striking is because they are skilled workers and do not earn as much as other skilled workers that are 'comparable' as you say, so why should they not be paid the same?
  • Options
    lol pay isnt spread out by how hard you work.... you get some factory labourers working 8 hour shifts for £4.20 working harder than MP's and firemen put together.

You should care whether i sad it or not otherwise your just trying to put words in my mouth.

Surely every worker is skilled.
  • Options
    I never said, that you said, anything. The original 4X comment wasn't directed at your comments, there was no quote from you...........:confused:

I know pay isn't given out by how hard you work and my point is that it would be better if it was, yes all workers are skilled.....
  • Options
    I think that 40% is completely unrealistic. If the fireman got this much they practically everyone would want an increase. Next thing would be the whole of UNISON would strike - & what would happen to our £ is everyone suddenly had such a large pay increase?

Besides - French Firepeople get far less pay than their British counter parts. Yet, in France they are trained in first aid and basically do the job of paramedics. Unlike here in Britain, if you have a medical emergency then you ring the fire service - not the ambulance service, therefore surely their firepeople work much harder for their pay?
  • Options
    It would seem that there is another 8 day strike looming.

I think public support is going to disappear completely if it goes ahead.:(

There is no doubt that they deserve a pay rise etc, but should they be continualy risking peoples lives and public safety to get it:confused:
  • Options
    I dont blame the fire fighters. I blame the union leader for feeding the fire fighters propaganda and convincing them into thinking that these strikes would actually work. Even if they get a pay rise, that wont be a victory. People have lost a lot of respect for them.