Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Being the "Gentlemen"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do girls like this "Being a gentlemen" act anymore these days?

Do you blokes still pay for your ladies way?

Or is it the done thing these days to open a few doors, hold a few jackets and pay for the odd drink?

Comments

• Options
    Hell yeah or at least I do.

Although when it comes to paying for everything I do argue. it aint fair, and well as long as I have cash I try and make it equal.
    But the rest of the genteman stuff and certainly first drinks and offering to pay for everything goes down a treat.

but I'man old fashioned girl who likes to be looked after so i would. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    Hell yeah or at least I do.

Although when it comes to paying for everything I do argue. it aint fair, and well as long as I have cash I try and make it equal.
    But the rest of the genteman stuff and certainly first drinks and offering to pay for everything goes down a treat.

but I'man old fashioned girl who likes to be looked after so i would. :D

yip i totally agree!!!

me too i love being looked after!!! and luckly i have a man who loves looking after me!!! :)
  • Options
    I think its all wrong expecting the fella to pay up for everything. Ive always been the same since being younger. Yeah let them buy the 1st drink but Ive always paid my share. I would feel guilty expecting them to pay for absolutely everything.

Mind it is nice when you get a little prezzie bought by them. I like getting looked after. My now hubby used to do all the gentleman things like not letting me walk nearest to the road, open the doors and stuff like that.

Mind once your'e married that all goes out the window;)
  • Options
    Yeah I feel the same as Becks, a gentleman would be my perfect partner, in the sense that he has to have sex not so high on his agenda, occasionally buy me stuff, like I'd buy him stuff, the odd card or two, take me out on dates, BUT, I don't like the type of gentleman that pays for everything. I have to pay at least half or I feel like a right sponging cow and I don't think it's right in this day and age where we're earning almost as much as men for women to expect them to pay for everything. If my boyfriend (if I had one) bought all the drinks, meals, presents, rings etc, I'd feel like he had already had some power over me, like I was his property or something.

But yeah basically, I love a gentlemen, I could never go out with a pig. I don't settle for less.
  • Options
    I try and do the gentlemen routine, I sometimes end up paying for all the drinks & food and I don't mind it really. I’ll hold doors open and stuff.

I pay for most things when I'm in a relationship.

I’ve never done it with the thought of getting sex back in return!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I think its all wrong expecting the fella to pay up for everything. Ive always been the same since being younger. Yeah let them buy the 1st drink but Ive always paid my share. I would feel guilty expecting them to pay for absolutely everything.

Mind it is nice when you get a little prezzie bought by them. I like getting looked after.

Yeah I agree. I love being bought little pressies & stuff every so often but I always like to pay my way. Only exception really I think, is on a first date... then I think the person who asked the other one out should pay. :)
  • Options
    I have a close male friend who I always argue with about this. Whenever we go places together he usually insists on paying. Every time I offer to pay this time, or to go halves, he'll refuse point blank. I must owe him around £50 to date.

But yes. I do like to be spoilt sometimes, but I always, and I mean always offer to pay my way. If the guy refuses, I'll nag for around another minute or so before giving up, else I just look silly :p Even if he refuses to let me contribute, at leat I know I tried :)
  • Options
    i do :) i :heart: to be looked after! :)
  • Options
    I’ve never done it with the thought of getting sex back in return!

Oh no, of course not! The thought didn't even cross your mind ;)
  • Options
    i hope ima gentleman, but today i werent, my gf and i took the last 2 seats next to each other and i stole her chair cos i didnt want ne1 to steal mine. she didnt mind, and i did give her my jacket to put over her lap cos it were a bit chilly. i always walk her home at night, and all the time after school. might even start walking ehr to school as well...

ive bought her lunch sevceral times and never asked for the money backl, but i tend to haver a £5 more than i need every day so it dont matter too mch...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce

Oh no, of course not! The thought didn't even cross your mind ;)

Lol, Hmmmmm do you know me?:p

Well you seem to ;)
  • Options
    i love a gentleman! of course not for the whole time...;) my last boyfriend paid for everything and though it was nice it did make me feel a bit uncomfortable. though ive got a bit of a cheek - i expect it of my male friends! lol nah we buy in rounds mostly! i dont even know what im saying anymore...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah, I love boys being gentlemen. It's sweet! But I wouldn't want them to pay for absolutely everything, it's embarrassing for me, it's not fair on them. I like to pay my way most of the tiem, but I'm fine with him treating me every now and again