Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Aspirin question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
During my GCSEs in the summer i developed these headaches which i suppose were just from stress so i started taking aspirin and everything was ok, but i noticed that i was always tempted to take more even when i didnt need to because they helped me sleep :(
Recently i've been pretty stressed again with school which made the headaches come back so've been taking more aspirin and the temptation is still there to take more than i need!
So i was wondering how many it would take to do me some harm if i'm 5"9 and 11-12 stone? i doubt i would take enough to seriously damage myself but it's just to put my mind to rest! in fact, i'm not even sure if u can actually overdose on aspirin... :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Yes you can overdose. I dont know the exact amount, but for your own sake dont take too many:)
  • Options
    aspirin is really good to take in very low doses as it prevents all sorts of diseases, but in higher doses it basically eats away at your stomach lining, so I wouldnt over-do it if I were you.
  • Options
    Rainbow am I right in saying if you have had stomach ulcers your advised not to take them?
    just asking you because you seem clued up on them:)
  • Options
    I was just reading an artical today about all the things a regular low dose of aspirin (like quarter to half a tablet a day) can prevent:
    reduces risk of heart attacks, strokes,migraines, dementia,lung cancer, bowel and pancreatic cancer, pre-eclampsia,diabetes,herpes outbreaks, and gum disease.

possible side effects of aspirin include: indigestion or other stomach problems, bleeding or ulcer in the stomach, allergic reaction such as itching, increased risk of haemorrhagic stroke(although this is rare).

those who should avoid aspirin:
    children under 16, anyone with stomach ulcers or bleeding problems (haemophilia), anyone who suffers from asthma, people who have had a haemorraghic stroke, or kidney or liver failure, women who are breastfeeding or in the last 3 months of pregnancy.

you shouldnt start taking aspirin long term (even low dose) without consulting your doctor first though, as they dont know for sure whether the benefits outweigh the risks.

hope this helps, ive just painstakingly written all this out from `real` magazine. lol
  • Options
    It is possible to overdose on aspirin. Taking too many over a long period of time has also been linked to kidney damage. Taking too many painkillers can actually CAUSE headaches in some people.

If you're having trouble sleeping, lay off the aspirin and try some of these ideas instead:
    http://www.thesite.org/info/health/sleep/insomnia.html

And if you're having lots of headaches, speak to your GP, there are all kinds of options available to you.
  • Options
    Well i'm not sure about asipirin but things like feminax and ibuprofen i've taken 6 at once before and it does no damage (and that is swallowing with vodka) but be careful if you're worried or talk to your doctor maybe?
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    Well i'm not sure about asipirin but things like feminax and ibuprofen i've taken 6 at once before and it does no damage (and that is swallowing with vodka) xxx

Aaarrgghh!

It only takes 8 paracetomol to overdose.

people underestimate how powerful some OTC medicines are.

you might not think it's doing you any harm, but it'll be ragging up your liver good and proper.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    i've taken 6 at once before and it does no damage (and that is swallowing with vodka)
    xxx

You can do damage to your liver that only shows up later. Six tablets plus alcohol can do a lot more harm than you think.
  • Options
    Im sure its not going to do much good! so i would foloow instructions that is what they are there for!
  • Options
    I was on a suicide trip so not really caring but right now i see how stupid i was:( never done it again!! I try to always only take painkillers if i really need them.:yes:
    xxx
  • Options
    I cant take aspirin, I'd swell up and die!
    Anyway... I had a bit of a thing with paracetomol though when I was doing my GCSE's too! I was being prescribed a relaxant drug by the doctor and when it ran out i didnt go back to get another prescriptionn but some one told me paracetomol were just as good. So I statred taking them when I felt tense or stressed.
    Eventually i got less stressed and stopped taking them naturally.
    I wouldnt really advise it though because in the long term it could be dangerous.
    Its a good idea to read the labels and stuff on these things though!