Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Stuttery broadband connection

My connection quality seems to be detiorating.
It downloads webpages in small bursts, then stops, then starts.
Some online games are laggy, others aren't because of this.

Is it something on my computer, or a case for NTL to sort out?

It doesn't seem to affect when I download files, so could it be a problem with Internet Explorer?

Any help muchly appreciated.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Stuttery broadband connection
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    My connection quality seems to be detiorating.
    It downloads webpages in small bursts, then stops, then starts.
    Some online games are laggy, others aren't because of this.

Is it something on my computer, or a case for NTL to sort out?

It doesn't seem to affect when I download files, so could it be a problem with Internet Explorer?

Any help muchly appreciated.

sounds like its not your computer... It probably is NTL, although it may not it could be ther servers at the other end oof the pipes... You can ony get stuff as fast as it is spat out so if something isnt spitting it out fast enough.....

During its times of slowness, is it every webpage...? Or are there a few in particular that it seems to be slow with... The fact that some of your stuff works fine but others dont seems to suggest its nothing to do with you....

check with NTL, ive seen it lots of times (i think NTL have just got on lots of new cusomers) that these sort of connection issues happen during a time where the user base has outgrown the ISP's capacity and fast and nasty plans have to be made to retrn performance back to what it used to be... of course theyd never tell you though....
    I rang NTL, they sent an engineer out who sorted, too much voltage apparently was stopping the connection working properly. I've not got 600Kb connection instead of 512K :D
    i cant be bothered to ring ntl but i often have problems with them. damn annoying as well. including the fact that all my windows programs keep crashing!
    yeah that was happening to me the other night, and my friend who also has NTL broadband, so yeah must have been a problem at their end, but its sorted now so its all good.....
    I've got 128mb broadband from NTL although i swear it's a lot slower. Is there any way you can test the actual speed. Must be a program somewhere you can use to do this? any suggestions?
    Thanx for the link. But the program doesn't work on my machine

I get this message

Run time error 372

Failed to load 'progress bar' from 'comctl32.ocx. Your version of 'comcts32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with this application.

What on earth does it all mean??

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    I got it working. Went to the help section and dowloaded a fix.
    I'm running at 120KB/s

Ta
    Technologically, NTL are fine. I've had downtime on a couple of occasions which lasted ten minutes each. The call centre however needs more staff. I just could not subscribe back in September. I was on hold (with that annoying music) for about 4 hours daytime and evening phone calls.

Waited until October, and I got through to the call centre staff after 30 minutes.

I've managed to install my Ambit modem (NTL) on Windows 98se and XP.

Has anyone managed to do it on 95? I've got USB working, but its still isn't picking up the modem. I feel that I've missed an update or service pack for Windows 95.