Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

my arm!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok this isn't a hugely serious problem compared to other people's dilemmas and stuff on health, but I thought if I posted it anywhere else it would only get moved here so ...

On Saturday I went to the theatre to see a play.
Let me just point out at this stage that I was COMPLETELY sober.
Anywho, at the interval, being in the back row, I decided to climb over the back of my seat to get out quickly and beat the queues. This was not the smartest idea in the world, as due to my period I was feeling a bit wobbly (for those of you who don't know - low blood pressure so i faint a bit when I have periods)
I don't know exactly how it happened, but I fell over the back of the chair, did a spectacular somersault and then put my hand out to stop myself falling.
When I landed, all I knew was how much my left arm hurt - it was sooooooo bad.
The nice theatre people sent me to hospital in a taxi... and the nice hospital people looked after me really well .... but they don't know what I've done - nothing on the x-ray

so now i have unidentified random injury to my arm (apparantly i 'may have twisted something or pulled a ligament or a muscle')- my elbow is all swollen and there's a bruise coming up and its ouchy. I don't blame the hospital staff for not finding anything, its just odd not to know what's wrong!

plus i feel very silly and all college knows about my 'acrobatics', but I guess that's to be expected!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't worry, I know how you feel! I have something wrong with me, possibly arthritis, but no diagnosis at the moment, and I've had it for about a year now. It's really annoying and weird not to know what is causing so much pain! And even more annoying that when people ask you what's wrong, you can't give a definite answer, and they just kind of dismiss it! Sounds painful what you've done though, I have lot's of sympathy for you! As for the embarassment.....it'll go away soon! People have done much worse things in their time! ;)
    If your arm really hurts and there's nothing on the x-ray, there's either a really really really small hairline fracture, or you've injured a ligament. It could also be a trapped nerve although i shouldn't think so just from falling. You'd have this if it is contiuously numblike and doesn't seem to want to go away.

Its just rest thats needed and try not to move it too much. Give about a fortnight, and it ougth to go.

If the pain is near a joint, i.e. the wrist or the elbow you need to be extra carful as there are several bones instead of one.
    I was a little daring a couple of weeks ago and decided to jump off a 10m platform into a pool while it was raining. It wasn't a bad storm or anything, but the third time I jumped, the wind caught my arm and the arm went in at a slight angle (maybe 135-150 degrees to my body) rather than straight up over my head. At 35kph (22mph), hitting the water like that felt more like hitting pavement. My entire upper arm from shoulder to elbow swelled and turned into a massive, painful bruise. I couldn't even use my arm for a couple of days. I had it looked at by an athletic trainer and they said I had damaged the muscle tissue and would just have to wait for the natural healing process to do its thing.

If nothing showed up on the xray, then it's probably just something that only time can heal.

Make sure you ice it to take down swelling - the main cause of the pain I would assume. And don't put the icepack directly on your skin, that'll just freeze your tissue...then real damage can be done.

Best of luck. :)
    Didn't end up in morriston hospital? probably had to wait for 9 hours before you were seen?

I've always got the feeling they're not sure what they are doing.

Expect a call in a weeks time, where they wil tell you, it's actually broken and they missed it on the Xx-ray the first time round.

Has happened before, it will again