Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Internet stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would like my own internet connection thing because as it is I am on some bloody proxy thing which means that as soon as my dad wants to mess about on the net I get kicked off. Bugger.

Apparently we have two phone lines already and some ISDN thing. I don't know if that means anything to anyone. My damn dad and brother are constantly on their computers (unless they are out watching/playing football or getting drunk) and I need my own phoneline and modem or something and ISP and all that doodah if I want my own internet thing. How much would all this crappiness cost? If you need to know more stuff first then ask away. I'm just annoying myself because I never seem to get the motivation to do schoolwork till 2am or something and I need the net for stuff like that. Insomina is also a big boring bitch.

Thanking you muchly.

Comments

• Options
    Is your computer joined to your dad's computer on a network? If so you should both be able to browse the Internet at the same time, I don't understand why you get cut off when your dad goes on.

If you need another line it will cost about fifty quid or something to have it put in and then whatever it costs a month, but it may be more complecated if you have ISDN already. I think really you need to get it so that you can be online at the same time instead.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Is your computer joined to your dad's computer on a network? If so you should both be able to browse the Internet at the same time, I don't understand why you get cut off when your dad goes on.

If you need another line it will cost about fifty quid or something to have it put in and then whatever it costs a month, but it may be more complecated if you have ISDN already. I think really you need to get it so that you can be online at the same time instead.

Yeah it is but he cuts me off cos I slow him down apparently. :mad:

Why is it more complicated if we have ISDN? I got confused by phone bill things and stuff.

Help!
  • Options
    You must be on a LAN (Local Area Network) if your sufing at the same time as your dad.

ISDN use's a 128k connection so with him and your self using it will be split into 2 single 64k connections so he won't be surfing as fast as he would when no one else is using it.

Can you not take out the cable that connects you to you dads computer and stick your own modem lead into the second slot on your ISDN box?

It this the ISDN box you have?

http://www.seg.co.uk/products/image/high_box.jpg
  • Options
    ISDN

Yes it is possible that your father is 'kicking' youi off by using a proxy server. ISDN should be able to cope with the both of you, unless you or him is doing some serious downloading 128k is fine for 2 simultaneous transfers, and youll probbaly find that in such a situtaion neither of you will be requesting the same resource within a few milliseconds of each other so you should both get your 128k most of the time...

If youre paying for ISdN, you may want to look into getting cable internet, you can get a mush larger pipe (round 512k down about 256k up) for a small fraction of the price....

What is it your doing which is slowing the whole thing down in your fathers term.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mullet Man
    You must be on a LAN (Local Area Network) if your sufing at the same time as your dad.

Can you not take out the cable that connects you to you dads computer and stick your own modem lead into the second slot on your ISDN box?

Yeah, that LAN thing is it!

Ah, no, my bro uses the second slot. Which is why I need my own phone line apparently. I'm not sure how this works.
  • Options
    Re: ISDN
    Originally posted by D-Baser
    Yes it is possible that your father is 'kicking' youi off by using a proxy server. ISDN should be able to cope with the both of you, unless you or him is doing some serious downloading 128k is fine for 2 simultaneous transfers, and youll probbaly find that in such a situtaion neither of you will be requesting the same resource within a few milliseconds of each other so you should both get your 128k most of the time...

If youre paying for ISdN, you may want to look into getting cable internet, you can get a mush larger pipe (round 512k down about 256k up) for a small fraction of the price....

What is it your doing which is slowing the whole thing down in your fathers term.

We can't get cable or ADSL or any of that stuff. I dunno. When he listens to bloody football commentary I get told that I have too many webpages open and he kicks me off. Then he plays some net game things and I get cut off then.

I just need to know how much it would cost me to get it all set up and how much it would cost me a month for the phoneline and the ISP thingymajoogle.
  • Options
    I think it's about £50 for the installation (but might be £80) :eek:
    Line rental starts at about £11 (maybe +vat)

You can get local-call ISP (like the original freeserve one) for free or AOL(!) for about £15 a month (freefone).

BT are being a bit slow (do you live in a rural area?) with their ADSL rollout, but you can probably pester them via an ISP (I use PlusNet and they have a "pester BT to upgrade my exchange" page.
  • Options
    *considers getting a job*

I live in Chesterfield in Derbyshire. I have done loads of searches to see if we can get broadband and stuff like that but...meh, I gasve up after I kept seeing 'It is currently not available in your area'.
  • Options
    i'm on my own 56K dial up connection with AOL, line is with BT at standard line rental just under £30 a quarter. Installation of a new line was £50 but they charge you in bits on your regular bill, it's not upfront. If your downloading heavily, don't go with BT for an ISP as they've tightened there policies on leaving the computer connected whilst your away from it plus BT kick you off every 2 hours which AOL doesn't and AOL 24hours is £15.99 a month.
  • Options
    Invest in a isdn router be best,Getting another line will mean 12 months subscription to it basiclyy signing a contract,theres also the temptation to use it for voice calls like i did :( ,Not a pleasent experience when you get the bill and no one esle to blame,I currently use bt openworld broadband at £29.99 a month plus £10.00 line rental of bt and a nokia ip555 adsl router which shares over 3 pc's very efficiently no dialing no pc needs to be left on constantly etc it does it all for u,cost around £100 of ebay.As you say you cant get broadband so why not go for the satelite link option cheap broadband thru a dish,Or have a dedicated line installed depends how much u wana spend etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by STEVE-4990
    i'm on my own 56K dial up connection with AOL, line is with BT at standard line rental just under £30 a quarter. Installation of a new line was £50 but they charge you in bits on your regular bill, it's not upfront. If your downloading heavily, don't go with BT for an ISP as they've tightened there policies on leaving the computer connected whilst your away from it plus BT kick you off every 2 hours which AOL doesn't and AOL 24hours is £15.99 a month.

£30 a quarter?

Ah yeah. Everyone says AOL is shit though? I don't know.

This would be so much easier if we could get broadband in this shit hole. *snarls*
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing

Ah yeah. Everyone says AOL is shit though? I don't know.

AOL is shit. Don't use it. Ever.

You could go with the satellite option, but it isn't the most stable of connections.
  • Options
    So what is this satellite thing? How does it work? How much does it cost? Is this gonna be one of those things where I might not be able to get it here? *needs lots of info*
  • Options
    So what is this satellite thing? How does it work? How much does it cost? Is this gonna be one of those things where I might not be able to get it here? *needs lots of info*

Good Points For Satellite Connections;

Much more widely available than ADSL/Cable
    Fast(ish) connection of 512Kbsec (About 10 time faster than dialup)

Bad Points;

£899 to Install!!!!!!
    £59 / Month Rental thereafter
    Minimum ping of around 750ms (i.e. crap for online games)
    Affected by weather conditions

Goto http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/ for more info :)
  • Options
    fuck that u can get install for 99 and rental 15 a month from the right places lol
  • Options
    derby? you can go to ntl then i think. they offer a cable modem and cheap installation and they charge you £15 a month for 128k, £25 a month for 512k, and £50 a month for 1mb

i think the installation is free but im not sure. they also offer 56k off peak hours free (6pm - 8am i think) for £5 a month. the only prob with that is they have to install a brand spanking new telephone line. unless you already have one of course....

check out their website www.ntl.com as they have this thing so you type in your postcode and it tells you if they have access in your area. anyway i think ur dad is being a bit stingy so you may want to install some sort of firewall protection on his and stop his internet working hehehe. if hes playing games online then i can understand why he might want all the bandwidth...

hope this helps.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Apestyler
    £899 to Install!!!!!!
    £59 / Month Rental thereafter

Fuck me hard!!! :eek: D'ya think I'm rich or something? I'm a 17 year old girl! If I had £899 I'd be spending it on shoes and alcohol!
  • Options
    Originally posted by annon17m
    fuck that u can get install for 99 and rental 15 a month from the right places lol

And these places are?
  • Options

Fuck me hard!!! :eek: D'ya think I'm rich or something? I'm a 17 year old girl! If I had £899 I'd be spending it on shoes and alcohol!

LOL! Just giving you the lowdown of it (Personally I wouldnt touch it cause its BT!), I'd be interested to see where you can get a 2 way sat link for £99 Install and £15 a month thou
  • Options
    lol, I just need something cheap and something not too shitty that won't only let me on from 6pm - midnight. I get bored. I dunno how much it costs to have unlimited net access and I keep getting funny answers on this phone stuff.

Ok, what would I have to pay for?

Phone line installation
    Phone line rental or whatever it's called
    Um, the ISP thingy

What else?
  • Options
    You'd need an extra phone line installed by BT, I dont have the price offhand, also they're will be rental ontop of that per month

Goto www.bt.co.uk for prices on an extra line and rental

One of the cheapest unmetered ISPs is Freeserve (£13.99/Month), you would also need another modem which are around £15 - £20

HTH
  • Options
    i'm still sticking with my previous answer and i haven't had any shit from AOL, except they keep sending me install CD's (for some apparent reason they think i need one.... duh! what they think i used in the 1st place? :rolleyes: )

BT : £50 line installation (£100 if this is NOT a second line), not billed upfront.
    BT line rental: standard line rental just under £30 per quarter.
    AOL internet access: £15.99 per month, 24 hour, uses freephone numbers (yes plural, you can have upto 3 numbers incase one's busy).