Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

website help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,

i need a lil help can some one please tell me how to set up a website. if possible in a step by step guide.

Thanx for your help

Sam

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Well first of all are looking for a free host or a paid one? Otherwise there's a few different ways to answer your question ;)

But basically you need to 'make a webpage' You can do this through Notepad, Dreamweaver, Word, Frontpage etc. People tend to like using Dreamweaver or Frontpage, because you can just drag and drop things into place, rather than use HTML coding.

Once you've made a page you can upload using an ftp. Some hosting sites already have a built on ftp. Others you have to download an ftp programme.

Once you've uploaded it just give some one the url to the page and volia - a webpage. Make numerous webpages and you have a website.

So there is an extra brief explanation on how to make a website. If you want it in more depth - be more specific.

:)
    Or if you just want something simple and fun, you could go to http://www.expage.com or http://www.geocities.com

:)
    thanx ppl

would you be able tp tell me about a free 1!!!
    its im starting a online company and i want a website. thanx for your help so far any extra info would b gr8
    thanx
    You're starting an online company, but you want a free website and you have no knowledge of how to make one?
    You can't surely expect to start a respectable company with a free, banner infested website?

Paying for a domain isn't all that expensive, y'know.

No offence, but if you don't know how to go about making a site, and you want it for business, I'd suggest hiring someone to make on for you.

Several companies offer such services, for low, low prices! So buy today!
    I agree with Kiezo!! If you're going to make a business website, there is no point in trying to find a free host. When somebody looks at an online business website, they don't expect to see pop ups and banners all over the place, nor a long url that has lots of / and numbers in it. They want a domain name that matches the company name.

Like Kiezo said domain names aren't that expensive. For example I paid £8.50 for Wizdem.co.uk for two years. Very cheap I think. Hosting isn't all that expensive if you look around for a bit. Plus you get no banner ads, pop ups, or loads of downtime. If you look well enough you can find a good hosting company that offers all the extras like PHP - MySQL - SSI - etc (All important if you want an interactive backed-up website)

So if you're serious on setting up an online business, buy for some space and a name. After all you get what you pay for!

:):):)
    Hey.

agreed it is very cheap, and depending on your operation you should be picky when it comes to your host. Find out about their backend, how long theyve been about, etc etc, and when it comes to design with the current job situtaion in london id suggest placing an ad in a paper and you will almost certainly get someone in at half the price of what an agency will quote you...

A good resource for anything web-programming is http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/ they got everything from beginner to expert and have helped me many times in the past...

Make sure your hosts systems can do what you want, ,you may be stung when trying to add cgi or database functionality which you may have to pay extra for...

I use use these people www.4eit.com theyre very fast and friendly and in 2 years nothing has gone wrong (albeit just for my email...) theyve got very full functional linux backend with support for justabout anything and a large internet pipe, highly recommended.