Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

college life, wats it like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok so im still in yr 11 at skool but i wanna start preparing myself 4 college cos i no im gonna go:nervous: ,i jus wanna no all the little things like wats it like? cos im a girl im wondering do we still wear trainers or do most do shoes and boots? also bag, wat type, big skool 1 or little wiv only enuff space 4 make up? n make up, i mean does every1 wear it or wat? :rolleyes:

n like another thing im scared 2 ask, wat kinda underwear?? i mean wen u reach college is every1 into sexy underwear n granny knickers r a no no? :confused:

pls help!!! it wud b appreciated!:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could try learning to spell and use punctuation and grammar. Colleges tend to like it.
    Do you mean college as in A-levels etc. or as in University and other higher education?
    Do you mean college as in A-levels etc. or as in University and other higher education?

like A level college :eek2:
    Are you taking the p?

No one is going to see your knickers, unless you're pulling them down round the back of the bike sheds, so why does it matter what kind of underwear you have on to go to college?

At college it's less pretensious than school, you can wear what you like, you don't have to be a sheep to fit in.
    if people in school with you know what underwear you wear on a daily basis I'd be more than a little worried ...

Colege, both uni and FE is about a more relaxed atmosphere in which you take a more adult responsibilty for your work and leisure

So chill! It makes absolutely NO difference what you wear

xx
    Yeah I totally agree, at my college there is no popularity contest. Everyone get's along with everyone, there is no hierarchy, like the populars, the little friend groups, the loners and the geeks etc.

Invest in a big, strong bag. In the first week or so it won't seem like you need it but as the months go buy it will fill up pretty quickly believe you me! And buy about 3 nice ring binders that you could customise with stickers.

Clothes so don't matter. Most of us wear jumpers and jeans. But some people like wearing baggy mosher trousers and shirts with big heavy chains and weird hair. With shoes, again, it doesn't matter. Wear what you like. In my group, most of them wear trainers like they're going jogging or something. Prolly cos they walk a bit of a way, but I wear my little black ankle boots because they're nice and comfy.

Another thing is the student union, where you can sort out trips abroad, or problems with the college.

Trust me you will love college, you don't have to conform to a particular standard to "fit in" like you did at school. It's way better, plus you can leave at any time. You don't have to sign in or out like at school. I haven't for a second regretted going on to college. It's a fantastic way to prepare for Uni and the real world.
    wear wot u want, have any kind of bag u want, were any kind of knickers that u want....not bein nasty but theres gonna b a lot of other people there and i dont think they're gonna b particularily interested in what knickers u r wearing. speaking from experience no one cares about how u dress, as long as u r comfortable then it doesnt matter.
    well, u can wear what u like, but think practical. Every1 suddenly started wearing hoodies one day lol, and then one guy got the straps at the front tied so he looked like kenny lol. That was cruel but it was so funny i had to include it. Seriously, nobody cares really, i mean, if u r wearing clown clothes then its not good, but just dress casually, as if u were going out with ur mates, not too classy, not formal.
    Lets just say, Im VERY glad I didnt goto 6th form.

College is great, relaxing, you meet loads of new people etc :)

Im yet to find out what *hellie* wears to college though :p
    I go to my local school sixth form, and we can wear what we like, i thought all sixth forms were like that? Is that just me being silly? Sometimes I wish I'm going to college just as a breath of fresh air, been at the same school for so long it gets me down. Ah well
    I go to sixth form and it is a pile of pants wish i had gone to a college instead im sure that not all the sixth forms are the same as this one so i think as long as you work hard you will sail through a levels. It is a bit like school but you get more freedom:D
    Yeah I totally agree, at my college there is no popularity contest. Everyone get's along with everyone, there is no hierarchy, like the populars, the little friend groups, the loners and the geeks etc.

Bollocks. The social codes of school don't change AT ALL in college!! At the least, before you meet new people you are going to hang around with the people you used to hang around with at school, no? :)
    Not me, I specifically chose to go to a college where I knew noone. I hated school, had few friends and got bullied all the time so why would I wanna hang around with them? On the first day the tutors made us all hook up with the other students and chat to them, and at break and lunchtime they told us to go round with eachother, which I think was good. It was only for that day but after than I was friends with everyone in the group. 2 months on nothings changed. I haven't joined any cliques bc I'm not a cliquey person, I hang around with whomever I choose in the group, or whoever says hi and tells me to come over.

If there is a hierarchy, I haven't noticed one, and I've kept out of it! Something I couldn't do in school.
    I go to a school sixth form and we can wear what we like apart from on mondays and fridays when we have to wear a suit.
    It sounds like you have no confidence..usually people dont really worry about whether what they wear will be the same as everyone else...just wear what you want!

There's a complete mix at my school. You get the girls who wear the tight trousers and heels and geenrally try and make themselves look smart, then you get people like me who laze about in jeans, trainers and whatever I find in the morning!
    We don't really have any grungers in the sixth form, they're mainly in the younger years as that's when the trend came in.
    We have some blokes who think they're at public school and wear deck shoes with chinos, a shirt and a V-necked jumper (eugh!) or tracksuit people, but most just wear whatever.
    Seriously you'll pretty much fit in whatever you wear!

As for the underwear thing - if you don't wear a pink leopard-skin bra with fluffy straps and a matching thong then you will have no friends.. :p
    Loads of student life info here:

http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_students/