Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Low blood count?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ello. I got my blood test results in the other day ans saw my Doc yesterday and he say's that there are low platelets in my blood. Anyone know what these are/do?

Comments

• Options
    Urm, dont they make the blood clot or something? I aint really sure but its something like that.

You really need to talk to your doctor if your insure about anything.
  • Options
    Already have done. He said he's gotta run more test's in the nxt couple of weeks. When I asked him he didn't really give me much of an anwaser.

cheers anyways .:)
  • Options
    Platelets are part of a big system that clots the blood. Your platelet count can be affected by all kinds of things from injuries to viruses. A one-off low count may not mean anything at all, and that's why another test needs to be done. It may not be anything to worry about.
  • Options
    I had a virus about the months ago so that may well of caused it...who knows?

Can you take anything to build them back up?
  • Options
    i dont think so - when ur body makes blood cells all the defects that are only 1/2 complete tec are released as well. These are called platelets and they do not have a n active funtion, but when you cut yourself they all pile up in the hole and form a scab. A low platelet count could mean it wud be harder to clot your blood and copuld be (dont take my word for it, im going back to bioligy lessons) related to haemophilia. But when you have an infection your white blood cell productiuon shoots through the roof and all the other production of red blood cells and the bits and bobs of platelets are reduced. Some people have constantly high white blood cell counts (leaukamia i think) but its almost a sure bet that if you have had an infection recently it is due to that. As for getting it back up again, well eating lots of preotein can only help, and iron probably, as these are the 2 things required to produce them.
  • Options
    Ok thx alot for the help guy's :).