Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Weird (?) oral hygine problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, adrenelin pumping title for a thread I know :D

Basically, you know that the most bacteria and rank stuff grows on your tongue...and therefore you have to "brush" it.

I can't! When I try to it makes me literally puke, like as in a gag reflex. Its getting REALLY annoying, and means my mouth (and therfore breath) can't be as fresh as I want it to.

Any ideas? Anyone else suffer from the same problem?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try a good mouth wash & it will clear it up over a few days, got to gargle for as long as it says though.
    HTH:)
    Hi Carlito,

The best thing to do is speak to your dentist. There will usually be a hygenist at the surgery who can give you more information.
    Originally posted by Karla
    Hi Carlito,

The best thing to do is speak to your dentist. There will usually be a hygenist at the surgery who can give you more information.

Thanks Karla...

...anyone know how much it costs to have a standard appointment at the dentists? Cos I'm over 19 now and so I don't think I can get free checkups :(

And I'm currently on...a "tight" budget....to put it mildly :D

I'll try the mouthwash idea as well, thanks tweety
    why not phone your dentist and ask how much it is for an NHS check up. I think its actually free for a checkup and you only have to pay for treatment, but i could be wrong.
    by the way as regards to mouthwash, Plax is a good one, it actually gets rid of a lot of the plaque, rather than just freshen your breath like some of the cheaper ones do.
    i had bad breath and it wus probably from my tongue and my dentist prescribed me colgate peroxyl mouthwash. Very powerful, but very effectie. Ie only had it 1 day but i aint had bad breath (or if i have u wudent know from the mint flavour). Only bad thing maybe about is the cost (not exactly sure but its more expensivce than usual) and its potentcy (had me choking today, and when u grgle bubbles come out of your mouth. But before my tongue had a yellow coating and now it still has a bit but most of it is gone. I think you can get small try-out pots from the dentist, tho dont know how muich they would charge.
    If you're on a tight budget, you may qualify for free dental treatment. Your local dentist can give you advice about the forms to fill in, or you can pick them up from benefits offices etc.

http://www.thesite.org/info/health/health_services/nhs_dental_treatment.html
    http://www.thesite.org/info/health/health_services/claiming_health_benefits.html

Bad breath may just be due to your diet, but can also be a sign of other health problems, so it's best to get it sorted out.

http://www.thesite.org/magazine/specials_shame/health_shame/bad_breath.html
    Thanks guys...

...I'm unemployed right now (in a gap year) and signed on...so I think I should be able to get the checkup free :)

shyboy can you buy that mouthwash stuff from normakl shops or is it prescription?

The thing is its not that I have bad breath or anything, its just the fact I can't brush my bloody tongue!!!!
    if you dont have bad breath or any other probs, then dont worry about it. Your tongue isnt going to get holes in it through lack of brushing unlike teeth. its only really important to brush teeth. I wouldnt worry about it