Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

28 Days Later

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Me and a few friends were thinking about checking out this movie on Saturday, it's had pretty good reviews but I wanted to know if it's as scary as it's hyped up to be? The advert on TV makes the film out to be one of the scariest films ever! If I went in the cinema with high expectations would I come out disappointed?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt it, most films that get a lot of hype usually are good.

But then again.....With jeepers creepers, that got a lot of hype, scariest ever moie etc. And it was crap! Wasn't scary at all!
    ooh if you go and see it let me know how scary it is!! It looks really cool but I get scared so easily! lol I'll go but have to wait til I see my boyf so I can hide behind him! hehe
    Going to see it tonight, so will let you all know what I think.
    I saw this last night and have to say I wasn't really very impressed, the opening sequence was a bit farcical and after that it turned into a slightly altered version of "The Last Train" (A series on BBC 1 a few years back, better than this in my view).
    The few scary moments are provided by the typical loud noises preceded by a short silence as we wait for something to happen.

It's fairly typical horror stuff, people going into places when it's blindingly obvious not to. There was the chance to explore how people would react to the bizarre situation presented in the film but instead it chooses to give a very superficial look at this aspect which is not entirely believable or rewarding to watch.

Add to that the fact that I couldn't take to the lead actor, who as luck would have it turns out to be quite fit after a shave :rolleyes:
    The supposed chemistry between him and the main actress is stunningly lacking, and don't even get me started on the girl who plays Hannah, with all these academies for acting you'd think they could find someone a little better.

Oh one last thing, when did it become necessary to put humour into horror films?!

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, I just feel cheated that once again a horror film follows the same route, relying on the characters being irritatingly stupid, a scene in a supermarket just baffled me, the relaxed nature of the characters given what was going on was totally unbelievable!

Anyway, you might enjoy it, just an opinion :p
    Its shite, it was the biggest waste of money i've ever spent. It makes jeepers creepers look like an oscar nominated motion picture even though it was bollocks as well. though at least you could laugh at Jeepers creepers.
    I saw it last night and I was scared!:nervous: lol

I thought the idea was really good, but I do agree that they didn't seem to be as worried about the whole situation as they should have been....and they did go into a few dark, scary places that no one in their right mind would go in real life!!

But it scared me still!!
    I don't give a toss if its scary or not (do people really feel cheated if they are not scared by a supposedly scary film? :confused: )

What was interesting was the general imagery ( I just love post-apocalyptic stuff) and the messages that the film portrayed rather effectively I thought...........
    my dad and i are going to see that tomorrow night, i think. Yes, i go to the cinema with my parents. Its free that way. And yes, on a friday night, i haven't seen him in about a month, since i met up with him for lunch, so i thought i'd sacrifice a night out to be with the old man :D
    Originally posted by Rich
    I saw this last night and have to say I wasn't really very impressed

I went to see it today & I agree. It was a bit jumpy & the actual concept of the plot was pretty good but I don't think it was very well thought out. Still, I didn't pay. :D
    My dad said it was crap....

Which probably means its good :)
    Nope its crap alrite!
    Originally posted by David Grohl
    Nope its crap alrite!

Seconded. Its shite.
    Why?
    what a shit film, all that hype for nothing!!!!
    I aggree. This film is very weak. The plot is very poor, as is the acting. I didn;t enjoy it much and dont suggest anyone should see it. :(
    Originally posted by Scorpion
    I aggree. This film is very weak. The plot is very poor, as is the acting. I didn;t enjoy it much and dont suggest anyone should see it. :(

Well, I have to say we're like chalk and cheese! :D I thought it was a great film with convincing acting and I recommend it.
    Was i the only one that wished they caught the virsus and were hacked to death from the very start of this film, so i didnt have to sit through that piece of crap.
    I think, conversely, I'm the only one who enjoyed it! [Has 'am i normal?' worries :confused: ]
    Just got back from seeing it too...

Thought it was a very good idea, although parts of it could have been executed more "neatly" and more thought out ... especially the opening scene which was very dodgy

Overall: A Good Film
    I thought it was pretty good. lol. not.
    The scariest bit was when the car alarm went off tho.

[random]Are you coming down smokers corner[/random] :crazyeyes
    Originally posted by Maypoo
    I thought it was pretty good. lol. not.
    The scariest bit was when the car alarm went off tho.

The man sitting beside jumped at that bit, and i would have to agree with you there. The best bit in the film i think was the bit when he hits the fellas head off the door frame and then sticks his thumbs in his eyes..........ouch :eek:
    It sounded good on paper! but when i went to see it, i thought it was so unbelievably bad! despite the couple scary bits me and my friend thought it was one of the worst films we'd seen.
    I guess, coming to think of it, the film could have been a bit more subtle. The special effects and everything were a bit overdone and I've seen better films. I guess it's better than Braindead though. You should check that film out, it's hilarious. The rat-monkey in it just look so blatantly animated :lol:

By the way, I have blue eyes and am easy to talk to ;)
    Originally posted by will haycock
    I guess it's better than Braindead though. You should check that film out, it's hilarious. The rat-monkey in it just look so blatantly animated :lol:
    I loved braindead, its hilarious but scarier than 28 days. the vicar in it is hilarious "I kick arse for the lord..." :D

But seriously i thought the film was class for the budget it was created with, i prefered braindead than 28 days later but thats my opinion.
    Braindead is quite good because it's funny and stuff. and, coming to think of it, it is a lot better than 28 Days Later. I enjoyed watching 28 Days Later at the time but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it. I generally find horror films funny rather than scary. novels are where the really scary stuff is. great thing about horror films is that you generally have some kind of emotional reaction to them, which makes them interesting, which is why I think a lot of people watch them
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Both 28 days and Dog Soldiers were pretty crap in my opinion, both could have been good but wern't.

On the subject of Braindead, anyone seen Bad Taste - another quality film!
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by Skive

On the subject of Braindead, anyone seen Bad Taste - another quality film!

What's it about? Is it easy to get hold of?
    i think i may have seen "bad taste" but i'm not sure, speaking of low budget crap horror/comedy movies - Frankenhooker came to mind, thats pure and utter crap...:lol: