Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sister Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This isn't about a relationship like most of the people in here. You see, I'm having some problems with my sister. Oh don't be a pervert LOL

My sister is a lot older than me, 18 years to be exact, and I never manage to live up to her expectations. She gave me hell for only wanting to do three AS level subjects last year, she gave me hell for changing colleges this year, and I can't quite pluck upthe courage to tell her I've dropped out of college completely.

I don't think college is for me, and it's been making me really unhappy. I don't like the teacher superiority complexes, and I'm fed up of being sat in a classroom, as my schooldays were far from idyllic.

I've had a few job interviews, and I actually had one on Monday that I'm bloody confident about. I want to wait until I know either way about this job, so at least I have something to approach her with instead of just "Hi, I dropped out of college"

Any advice on how to broach the subject with her?

I figured this was to do with my relationship with my sister, that's why it's in here...

Thank you

Kate x

Comments

• Options
    tell her as much as you appreciate her concern, that shes not your mother, and youre a big girl now and can make your own decisions.
  • Options
    Why is your sister taking a mothering role in your life?

I know she was you to do well in life but maybe she putting to much pressure on you, personally I would stay at collage, the big wide world of work is shit! (How old are you?)

Did your sister not meet with her own expectations in life? You do have to do want you want in life and can’t tip toe around your sister all the time. Tell her what your plan are and stand up for yourself!

Good luck
  • Options
    I have a terrible relationship with my older sister too krach.gif

It could be worse though, at least she's trying to look out for you
  • Options
    I guess i'm slightly on the other side of this, I have looked after my brothers since my mum left when they were 5/6. My dad had a heart attack so i became the role of parents as dad couldn't do any of that stuff.

I went to their parents evening, football matches, ironed their shirts etc (i was only 11 at the time) Anyway this isn't meant to be a sob story.

I was a great student, always getting A's but my brothers weren't very academic. One of them has dysphraxia so he was never expected to be a genius but the other one is very clever.

I pushed him hard to achieve, as any 'mum' would. I wanted him to be the best he could. Then when he took his GCSE's he didn't revise or anything. I was on his case all day and it really took a strain on relationship.

Then one day he told me how he couldn't take anymore of me acting like a mum. We had a big fight and both ended up in tears. I didn't realise that i was doing this to him, I thought i was helping.

ANYWAY, my point is that you should definitly say something to your sister as it is possible that she maynot realise how over powering she is being.

It worked for me. I now give him advice and a kick up the arse occasionally but hes at college studying to be an electrician and i'm really proud.

Here endeth my essay(please excuse the length!!):)