Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should i go to Uni ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all.

I am a 20 old year old male. Thing is i need some advice. I left sixth form in 2001 with a couple of passes at A-Level, they were not great grades, 2 D's, but i kinda lost the will to live during my sixth form days. Anyhow i decided to take a break and see what i wanted to do. I took about 6 months off and as my parents werent keen on me going to Uni, i began to look for a job. Having no experience i needed an apprenticeship or something similar where i could learn skills from afresh. However nearly a year and half later im in exactly the same posistion, cept im older and alot more depressed. 20 and jobless i began to get depression, coupled with the usual bad feelings about not having a girlfriend and such. Ive had interviews but i always seem to fail at that stage, and the place where i live is not great for new opportunities for young people. So a couple of months ago i asked myself if i shud go to Uni. I know parents arent too keen on it, but im 20 now and can make my own decisions. Also, i could study at the Uni where i live and not leave home, but at the same time i woud love to leave and gain some independance. My main concern however is the money issues, being in debt and such, is this as bad as they say.

So basically i just wanted sum thoughts on what you would do. Perhaps i cud do a HND or similar because my grades werent great. Should i persevere and continue looking for a job when deep down i cant see anything happening ? Problem is, like most young people, im not entirely sure what i want to do with life.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    2 d's at a-level isn't bad at all. I know that that is all you need to get into northampton uni.

As for the money issue thats why i'm not going but it's totally up to you mate really. I know someone who has just started their third year at uni and is in 12 grand debt!:crazyeyes , has definetly put me off but thats just my view.

One thing i would say though is that if you decide you wanna apply for 2003 to get your arse moving coz you have missed a fair few open days already

soz not much help was i, good luck anyway:)
    thanks

Hi,

thanks for the reply, informative and comforting. I need to think quick and i know i need to get my arse in gear.

Thanks for the words mate.
    You could go to uni or you could do a shorter more vocational course...if ultimately you just want to better your employment prospects and don't want the debt or a 3 year wait, then an HND or simlar may be more suitable. If on the otherhand you really want to go to uni, then apply.

As usual, your best bet would be to go to your local careers centre who can talk to you about all the options available to you.

Careers Services National Association
    Careers centres differ around the country in which services they provide to people. Depending on which company is in charge of your area, The advice may be free to everyone or restricted to certain groups of people.
    Telephone: 01926 318255

Susie :)

oh, and we have a useful article here
    go to uni it might be fun
    I lived with my Dad before i went to uni and money was my biggest worry. We are a really poor family. I have 2 16yr old brothers and my Dad can't work because of his heart.

I got 2c's and a D at alevel but got a place on a great course at uni. I get the full loan available and my uni offers hardship loans and hardship grants if u get into difficulty.

You can live really cheaply as a student and have fun. I have found my independence as i was a country bumpkin before and life is great.

Its hard at times but i am so proud of myself. I am putting myself through uni, and yeah i will be in debt but who isn't these days.

I work like a mad man during hols and work everyday during term time 3 hours a day after going to uni from 8 til 4.30 so that i can send money home for my family. You don't need to work this much but you would be suprised how a couple of hours a week can bring in the money you need to keep u afloat. Its not an easy life but the rewards are so huge.

Education, fab social life, care free sex (if that s what u want!) AND A SENSE OF SELF WORTH! Everyone at uni will help u but in the end you need to decide.

If you have no idea what you want to do in the future take a broad course.

2 years down the track i am still here. And if i can do it with no parental help then anyone can!!!!!!

So good luck in whatever u choose, just make sure that it is your choice
    I'd go touni if i were you.

I did a stupid thing i left Sixth form with 2 As 1 B and a C. Good grades. I took a year out and went travelling round Australia with the intention of going to University to study English Law on my return to the UK. I'm in the opposite situation to you, i have got a job doing Recruitment which is ok, but it's good money and the thought of being skint for 4 years scares the hell outta me well it would be 5 years really cos if i went, i want to be a barrister where you have to do like a year training contract with a law firm on shit money before you can get with a chambers. I've gotten used to having the money to go out, buy clothes, live away from home with my friends in a nice house. But i regret taking that year out so much. If i were you whilst you have no job i would apply and go definitely. You'll only regret it later on.

Good luck anyway. Hope my advice has been of some use to you.