Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Terrorism in Moscow

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Read my earlier post. I'm not critizising the Russians for going in, or for shooting the terrorists dead. All I'm saying is that the gas was misused, either because they pumped too much, or the concentration was too great, or because they failed to give the freed hostages a shot of the antidote to combat the effects, antidote that had been given to the troops prior to the assault. Out of the 117 confirmed dead, 115 died of gas poisoning and two killed by the terrorists.

I don't know how much is true, but speculation is already mounting that the Russians had used an agent that could be classified as a chemical weapon, and banned under biological/chemical weapons treaties signed by Russia. That would explain the refusal to give the hostages antidote or even tell the doctors what they are battling against here. 45 people are still in intensive care, and the list of deceased is likely to rise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Right, you really have no clue do you....

As if you do?

What alternative? Allow the terrorists to blow up the building, and kill every single hostage, plus, make their planned "political statement"? You think it was a bluff, that no "sane" person would commit an act which would kill themselves along the way?

Exactly who is clueless?

Stay in your classrooms... it is a much safer place for the delsuional to hide.
  • Options

Right, you really have no clue do you....they used BX gas, a type of nerve agent, designed to put people to sleep on the battlefield. It's never been used in an enclosed space, for which it wasn't designed.
    The concentrations were so high that it killed off brain cells causing people to collapse and fall into comas.
    119 hostages have died so far, only 2 were the result of the terrorists. Another 45 are in a critical condition.

This is in comparison to the 50 terrorists who died

Yes, the use of force was necessary, however they couldn't have chosen a more dangerous form of gas for the given situation.

What gas would you suggest?

2 TONS of explosives. 2 TONS! What do you think that would have done to the casualty figures?
  • Options
    No one is suggesting nothing should have been done. The Russians were right to act, and if you tell me that the gas used was the only agent known to mankind that would render people unconscious, and that deaths by gas poisoning were unavoidable, then I would not say further on the matter. But are you really suggesting that one of the most military advanced nations on earth, and one that has been very successful in the development of chemical weapons, did not have a better gas to use? And if it didn't, don't you think that it's possible they grossly miscalculated the quantity of gas required, thus killing more than 100 people that were supposed to be just knocked out?
  • Options
    As far as I am aware, there is no gas that has the properties you are hoping for. Being sure to put the people who had the trigger devices for those explosives into lala land means that no matter what gas you use, there is an extreme risk of other casualties. Most gases also don't have the option of an "antidote", so assault forces would have had to go in masked. Not a particularly good option given the number of terrorists, or the total number of people inside. I'd say the Russians made the best choice they could and executed the mission extraordinarily well. I doubt very much if Delta or the SAS could have done better, or even done the mission successfully at all (I expect our politicians would have worried about those civilian deaths, resulting in an attempt that would have had a much lower probability of success).
  • Options
    I partly agree with you (second time in 3 days, what's going on? :D ) that our politicians would have interfered with the mission, possibly resulting in more deaths or a rescue attempt gong terribly wrong.

One point our politicians would have surely objected to was the executing of the female terrorists with a bullet to the head while they were unconscious. I can understand their shock, but can also understand the Russians' argument: each woman was booby-trapped with several kilos of plastic explosives, and had any of them regained consciousness they would have blown themselves up and everyone else around them before there was a chance of removing the bombs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

One point our politicians would have surely objected to was the executing of the female terrorists with a bullet to the head while they were unconscious. I can understand their shock, but can also understand the Russians' argument: each woman was booby-trapped with several kilos of plastic explosives, and had any of them regained consciousness they would have blown themselves up and everyone else around them before there was a chance of removing the bombs.

I don't think they would have objected to that at all. That is pretty much standard procedure for all counter-terrorist units. No terrorist survives who poses the slightest risk to hostages. The SAS are the people who set that policy in stone.
  • Options
    Right, you really have no clue do you....they used BX gas, a type of nerve agent, designed to put people to sleep on the battlefield.

Excellent intelligence sources you must have Whowhere, bearing in mind that the Russians haven't even told the doctors what gas they used...

Anyway, I can't fault the Russians. Its easy to second guess them on the dosage of the gas etc, but they managed to free 700 people being held at gunpoint, whilst surrounded by explosives. Yes 115 (at last count) were killed, mainly by the gas. Now consider how many would/could have been killed by a lively terrorist...with a fully automatic gun and a finger on an explosives detonator...price worth paying?

Only two hostages were shot, this being the reason for the assault, and NO spetnaz troops were killed. At the same time all (bar one I believe) terrorist were killed.

Good work Ivan.

NB The SAS claim that anything less than 30% casulaties should be considered a success.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

What gas would you suggest?

2 TONS of explosives. 2 TONS! What do you think that would have done to the casualty figures?

The firefight went on for an hour. If they were really going to detonate any explosives they would have done so in the first few minutes.

MOK, it was in the news earlier today, that some doctors recieved anonymous info on what gas was used.

I'm not saying they made a huge cockup, just saying they could have used a different gas.
  • Options
    WhoWhere...

Your sources are piss-poor. Do some research beyond what you see on the boob-tube.
  • Options
    MOK, it was in the news earlier today, that some doctors recieved anonymous info on what gas was used.

I'm not saying they made a huge cockup, just saying they could have used a different gas.

Apparently they might have. The US Embassy in Moscow claims that an opiate was used, rather than BZ gas.

Just a supposition still though, the Russian have yet to confirm anything.

Of course, this may be because it is a banned chemical agent...
  • Options

If they were really going to detonate any explosives they would have done so in the first few minutes.
    Or... whenever they might have regained consciousness.

Easy to second guess. Harder to get the job done with the whole world looking over your shoulder, at the ready to condemn for whatever you do.

Negotiating with terrorists is hardly the job for the touchie/feelie crew. That others are called upon is why the touchie/feelie exist at all...
  • Options
    Every CT Team in the world knows how to negotiate with terrorists...double-tap...
  • Options
    Originally posted by sopite

Or... whenever they might have regained consciousness.

Easy to second guess. Harder to get the job done with the whole world looking over your shoulder, at the ready to condemn for whatever you do.

Negotiating with terrorists is hardly the job for the touchie/feelie crew. That others are called upon is why the touchie/feelie exist at all...

What the hell are you rambling on about this time?

There was a firefight going on for an hour, accroding to the news, TV, papers and internet.
    Thus, some terrorists were conscious and fighting. So, i ask you again, if they were going to set off explosives, WHY didn't they.
    Please try and avoid changing the subject, and just answer the question.
  • Options
    I thought the firefight was with the terrorists that were parolling the corridors around the main auditorium, all the explosive was in the auditorium with the hostages which is where the gas was used, all the terrorists weren't in there though so they had to go and shoot them out from around the rest of the building..........
  • Options
    Perhaps Toadborg can help Whowhere with his reading skills, and enhance his compehensive capabities... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Every CT Team in the world knows how to negotiate with terrorists...double-tap...

Some things really are self-evident, at least to the reality based observers... :rolleyes:

Altho... I kinda have always favored the triple-tap, myself... unless blessed with a 7.62N. ;)
  • Options
    The hostage takers were bad, bad people who, IMO, engineered a situation where they, as fanatics, stood to win however things panned out. The Russian authorities made the best of a bad deal, and most people accept that, I think.

Have to dent the accord on this subject, though, with the luvvie suggestion that Russia needs to address the legitimate aspirations of the Chechens, if only because it would rob the extremists of their authority, and give the peacemakers a look in.

Time the moderates were brought in from the cold.
  • Options
    But the Russians will never allow a state like Chechnya on its borders until it has been completely cleared of terrorists, gangsters, warlords and Muslim fundamentalists.

Remember that the Russians had left Chechnya alone for 5 years until 99 when Chechens attcked Russia.
  • Options
    Fo WhoWhere:

Gas
  • Options
    I was interested to hear an advert for Radio4's "Moral Maze" programme, which described the event in Moscow as a Massacre by Terrorists.

Surely they only killed 3 people. I thought it was the Russians who killed over 100.

Had an interesting discussion with a couple of anaesthetists earlier in the week. One has a smug look today as he guessed the base drug correctly.
  • Options
    The Moral Maze

'Can acts of terrorism ever be morally justified? - and, if not, how can the oppressed of the world secure their rights or earn their freedom?

Witnesses include Tony Benn and Haleh Afshar - who hold passionate but very different views on this particular Moral Maze'

(Rpt: Saturdays 22:15 -23:00)

It was certainly a more obviously topical Moral Maze than the usual fair. I was kind of impressed with Afshar in that she didn't change her stance on attempting to understand the motives of terrorists, even when one of the panel asked her if she would try to understand the motives of Timothy McVeigh or the Soho bomber. She could have just said that they didn't qualify as the kind of terrorists who have even a semblance of a cogent rationale to understand in the first place, but she stuck to her guns and probably dodged an ambush.
  • Options
    Chechen Terrorists to be Buried in Pigskin

None too subtle, these Russians...
  • Options
    Maybe that will send the message...