Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Getting it up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm very close to finishing my website. I've done it on my laptop in Front Page (yeah I know it's not the greatest but it's all I have). I don't have net access with my laptop at the mo, the only net access I have is through uni (or at my parents, which is a slow AOL/Macintosh connection).

I need to get a domain name, and find some way of getting it online. I don't really know where to start, someone please explain...

:)
Ta

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you got here Lowcostnames you can get the domain name and the space at the same time, and it's all quite cheap.

Then you will need to download an FTP programme so that you can upload what you have done from your laptop to your webspace. 'WS FTP Pro' is a good ftp programme and there's one you can download for free if you're using it for 'educational use'. Can't remember the url so just do a search on google or something for that.

Once you've done that you will need to get what you have done off your laptop and onto a computer with net access, so just save it to disk if it's not too big, and then use the ftp prog to upload it all!

Does that make sense? :confused: Hope so! Get your domain name etc first and let us know if your stuck after that! :)
    Thank you. I checked and the name I want is available, but I don't think the university PC's will allow me to download any programmes.
    hmmm...do you have any mates who's computers you could use? Other than that I'm not sure, cos as far as I know you're gonna need the ftp prog and net connection on the same computer!!
    I will ask my housemate. Thanks for your help :)
    No probs! If you need a hand feel free to PM me :)
    I use frontpage all the time, it's not that knockable as long as you're creative.
    As for getting a site online, there's three methods. HTTP upload, FTP upload or frontpage publish (kinda http also). Find out what a chosen host supports,. If they support frontpage extensions it'll be easy for you to get it up.
    If they allow ftp access it's maybe quicker if you already use an ftp utility.
    For domain names I've used www.freeparking.co.uk a few times with no complaints.
    Frontpage - Easiest
    FTP Commander - Best and FREE

I create with Front page and generally upload with FTP Commander as it's usually quicker and less buggy.
    i cant even say ask alistair:(
    www.freeola.com is the best in my oponion! Or you could try www.dot.tk wich gives you a free '.tk' name.