Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blacks in the US

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate the way in which some black people always carp on about slavery. Yes, it's a reprehensible act, nonetheless should the fact that your ancestors were shipped from Africa 250 years ago stop you from progressing in the present?

This is my own subjective view, but I reckon the reason why blacks are the poorest race in the US is due to attitude and nothing more. If you seek about bettering yourself and helping yourself then blacks would move forward in America.

Comments

• Options
    You seem to be very proud of your 'bettering yourself and helping yourself' expression, which you seem to bring to every argument. This phrase is taken out of the Thatcher/Free Market bible, and roughly translates as "I should be allowed to make as much money as possible by whichever means necessary and without having to pay tax or help others". It is also irrelevant to this argument.

The deeper level of poverty amongst the black population in the US- and elsewhere- is much more complex than you think. It has a lot to do with prejudice- just what you are showing here- and lack of equal opportunities for non-whites. There is a vicious circle of poverty-bad education standards- school dropouts- crime that perpetuates this situation. And although things have dramatically improved in the last 40 years, there is still way to go.
  • Options
    You can't generalise like that!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless
    You can't generalise like that!

Actually, it would seem that he can, and does. About everything. Randomly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    You seem to be very proud of your 'bettering yourself and helping yourself' expression, which you seem to bring to every argument. This phrase is taken out of the Thatcher/Free Market bible, and roughly translates as "I should be allowed to make as much money as possible by whichever means necessary and without having to pay tax or help others". It is also irrelevant to this argument.

Really everybody should help themselves when seking help. Thatcher probably used it because it's common morality. :D;)
    The deeper level of poverty amongst the black population in the US- and elsewhere- is much more complex than you think. It has a lot to do with prejudice- just what you are showing here- and lack of equal opportunities for non-whites. There is a vicious circle of poverty-bad education standards- school dropouts- crime that perpetuates this situation. And although things have dramatically improved in the last 40 years, there is still way to go. [/B]

Of course there is prejudice. Nonetheless, blacks have the SAME RIGHTS IN SOCIETY as whites!! :) Ergo, there is no legal impediment to a black succeeding.
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    Ergo, there is no legal impediment to a black succeeding.

Because legal impediments are the only ones that exist, right?

Tell you what, onenatcons. Why don't you go in to London, and find the Canada tower at Canary Wharf. Now, legally, there's no impediment to you going to the top and chucking yourself off in an attempt to fly, is there? So... what's stopping you?
  • Options
    The more difficult it is for a group to obtain good education and equal opportunities, the fewer individuals will succeed. It is only a logical outcome and has nothing to do with a particular race being lazier or more prone to commit crime than others. In the US large parts of the black community are in this situation.
  • Options
    Of course there is prejudice. Nonetheless, blacks have the SAME RIGHTS IN SOCIETY as whites!! :) Ergo, there is no legal impediment to a black succeeding.

Now re-read what you have put...

The impediment isn't a legal one, but one of prejudice. It is this prejudice which prevents equality and not people's rights.

Perhaps if people treated everyone equally then blacks (and other minority groups, it should be pointed out) wouldn't be able to use their minority status as a stick to beat us with.

Unfortunately, as you say, prejudice does exist. What you seem to have missed though is the effect that this has. You seem to want to blame blacks for their plight rather than accept the effect that prejudice has.
  • Options
    I take it DickJP hasn't heard of Jim Crow legislation. Of course they weren't a legal restraint on blacks' rights...:rolleyes:
    The more difficult it is for a group to obtain good education and equal opportunities, the fewer individuals will succeed.

Nonsense. The black college (i,e. university) population of the USA is 11%. This figure equates with the number of blacks ove the age of 18.
  • Options
    Perhaps if people treated everyone equally

Why do same dicks I see in real life congregate on net too?
  • Options
    Ergo, there is no legal impediment to a black succeeding.

and
    I take it DickJP hasn't heard of Jim Crow legislation. Of course they weren't a legal restraint on blacks' rights...

Make your mind up, please.
  • Options

Why do same dicks I see in real life congregate on net too?

Becuase you have to read your own posts, and look in the mirror.

Again you haven't read what I posted. I said that if people treated everyone equally then there wouldn't be an issue, but I also reflected on the real world where this will never happen.

You are the person who seems to have trouble acception this, not I. There is no equality.
  • Options
    onenatcons,

I've already warned you today about personal insults.
    You're making this board a place that no-one can hold a reasoned debate, and no-one will want to use.
    This is your final warning. Stop it now or you're banned.

BB
  • Options
    OK DJP, Jim Crow laws were created by Southern US states over a hundred years ago to prevent blacks from voting. Do they exist today? Of course not.

Therefore what piece of legislation stops blacks in the US from having rights?
  • Options

Therefore what piece of legislation stops blacks in the US from having rights?

DO A SEARCh!!!.... in this thread no less.....

I'll make it easy : There is no legislation to stop them. Any hinderence they may encounter will no be legal.

Incedentally...
    "some black people always carp on about slavery"

I've never heard this. Ever.
    If I ever heard this i think my first question would be "who enslaved you?" and my second would be "have you thought about going to the police?"....

I will agree that bad attitude is a defining factor in whether some-one does well or not, but i don't think bad attitude is purely found in a particular race-group.
  • Options
    Re: Blacks in the US
    blacks are the poorest race in the US

They are? What about hispanics?

Many "blacks" have set about "bettering themselves and helping themselves" (hideous phrase) and now a substantial black middle and upper class exists within the US; they have significant economic and political power.

So, to summarise, onenatcon, in this thread you have:
    - Stated falsehoods
    - Mass gross and incorrect generalisations
    - Contradicted yourself, possibly because you don't even know what you're saying, it's just a stream of nonsense

How much more bizarre are you going to become? In some ways you're worse than steelgate; at least he was consistent.
  • Options
    So the term 'black' is offensive? :)

If you want proof then it's below and was taken from the US Census 2000.
    The poverty rate for people under 18 years old dropped to 16.2% in 2000 (down from 16.9% in 1999)—their lowest poverty rate since 1979. The poverty rate declined more for 18- to 24-year-olds than for any other age group.
    Blacks (22.1%) and female-householder families (24.7%) had their lowest measured poverty rates in 2000.
    People 65 years old and over (10.2%), Asians and Pacific Islanders (10.8%), Hispanics (21.2%), white non-Hispanics (7.5%), married-couple families (4.7%), and people living in the South (12.5%) had poverty rates in 2000 that were not statistically different from their measured lows.
    Poverty rates fell for blacks (from 23.6% to 22.1%) and Hispanics (from 22.8% to 21.2%) between 1999 and 2000.
    While blacks remained disproportionately poor, the difference in poverty rates between blacks and white non-Hispanics narrowed since the most recent poverty-rate peak. In 1993, the black poverty rate was 23.2 percentage points higher than that for white non-Hispanics; by 2000 this difference had fallen to 14.6 percentage points.
  • Options
    I suggest you reread what you posted.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big ben
    onenatcons,

I've already warned you today about personal insults.
    You're making this board a place that no-one can hold a reasoned debate, and no-one will want to use.
    This is your final warning. Stop it now or you're banned.

BB

BB, should maybe be a shortening of "thesite's Big Brother"? ;)

oneatcons, it scares me how much disaster can make people get along...
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei
    How much more bizarre are you going to become? In some ways you're worse than steelgate; at least he was consistent.
    :yes:

Steelgate was/is totally brainfucked, but at least he could stay with his stand.
    The thing seperating the two of you, is that you can't make up your mind, nor make any sense.

People who regulary disagree here, are all agreeing about that fact.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    I will agree that bad attitude is a defining factor in whether some-one does well or not, but i don't think bad attitude is purely found in a particular race-group.

Bravo. :yes:
  • Options
    Vox beat me to the punch. In recent years with the number of illegal Mexicans immigrating, blacks have been forced to move up in society. You never see blacks cutting the grass anymore. Mexicans live 10 to an apartment and work for next to nothing. Also, blacks are so outspoken in society(never scared to express their opinion), that they get all kinds of priveleges. I recently read something about how Asian minorities were upset b/c even if they were more qualified for a scholarship and they are a minority, they all go to blacks and hispanics. As far as the slavery thing is concerned, Slavery was never more prominent anywhere as it was in Africa itself. People have wicked histories, all of us(except maybe Buddhist) so we all need to get over it and move on even though it has to be a stab to the pride. I do find however that slavery has its impacts still. Its like a black friend told me once when I said Rodney, "how are you so cut, for hardly ever working out?" He said "that's what you get for breeding us that way." By keeping blacks down for so long in the past, you have ignoance producing more ignorance and multiplying to have the ghetto's you have today its a cycle hard to beat out. Its ironic that the black community is so tight knit with one another but at the same time they are so prone to killing one another. But, There is definately a large amount of blacks turning that around these days and the oppurtunity is out there for them. Unfortunately those who possess wisdom, don't seem to multiply as quickly as the ignorant.